Phineas

I seem to love boy names that start with F or the F sound, especially those that start with [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] family and I also love the Disney show [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] and Ferb (borderline obsessed, if I’m honest) so I suppose it was only a matter of time before this happened. I’m high-key crushing on the name [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] but I want some outside opinions.

First, spelling. Would [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] be hard for a little boy to pull off? Would spelling the name [name_m]Finneas[/name_m] make it easier to wear? If I use the name, I’d be fine with [name_u]Finn[/name_u] as a nickname regardless of the full name spelling. I mean, my name isn’t spelled [name_f]Abbygail[/name_f] but I still go by [name_u]Abby[/name_u].

• [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Finneas[/name_m]

0 voters

Am I losing it? Is [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] actually usable outside of a cartoon character? I also love [name_u]Finley[/name_u] and [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] but something about [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] is just that much more special and appealing to me. What are your thoughts on [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]?

Thank you!

I know (of) an adorable little [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], so it’s pretty easy for me to picture on a little boy. I think it’s great name, either spelling! When I first came across [name_m]Finneas[/name_m] O’[name_m]Connell[/name_m] I baulked at the spelling, but I’ve actually come to really like it since then. I don’t think it’s a difficult name to pull of and I don’t think the spelling would affect that.

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]! I’m also a major fan of [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] and Ferb! [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] seems like the more intuitive spelling, so I’d go for that!

1 Like

Totally love [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]! It’s kind of clunky, geeky, cuddly, quirky and cool all rolled into one uncommon-but-familiar package. I suggested this one to my husband and he rolled his eyes, sadly, but you clearly have better taste than he does! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’d say that if you’re going to use it, spell it like the most common association ([name_m]Phineas[/name_m] and Ferb) or you’ll get constant misspellings. [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_f]Eilish[/name_f]’s brother is a [name_m]Finneas[/name_m], so that spelling will probably become more widely familiar too, but I do think it loses some of the distinctive appeal which sets [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] apart from the other “[name_u]Finn[/name_u]” names.

I know you said you’d use [name_u]Finn[/name_u] regardless of the spelling, but I’d find it very hard to pass up on the opportunity of a little Phin :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I voted for [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] but honestly, I like either spelling. And now that I think about it I kind of like the way the F looks a little more. It’s an awesome name and totally usable! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] is usable. It’s cute and quirky but it fits with the ‘finn’ name trend

1 Like

such a handsome name!! I used to find the tv association way too obvious, but now that it’s been around for years I think it’s usable! I voted for [name_m]Finneas[/name_m] but I like both spellings.

@futuremama, I’ve never met one in real life but hearing others have makes me feel a lot better about it!

@may.rose, lol it makes me happy to see another [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] and Ferb lover! [name_f]My[/name_f] family quotes the tv show on a daily basis :wink:

@katinka, I love that description of [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]! Geeky, quirky, cool, all adjectives I love to hear when people describe my boy names.

I think I would call him by the full name most of the time, but I’m guessing that my family would find the name a bit odd so I’d be fine with them calling him [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. The benefit of [name_u]Finn[/name_u] over Phin for the nickname is that it would also satisfy my family’s love of [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars!

1 Like

@whatchamacallit, thank you for your thoughts! I think I slightly prefer the [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] spelling but if others think [name_m]Finneas[/name_m] would be easier to wear, that would give it enough of a push to overtake [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], if that makes sense?

@jonquils, I feel like I knew a celebrity had a son named [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] (although I think he spells it [name_m]Phinnaeus[/name_m]?) but I didn’t know he used [name_u]Finn[/name_u]. I love [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] as well lol!

@greyblue, thank you! I was hoping it would come across as a fresh addition to the [name_u]Finn[/name_u]- family.

@rosajune, haha the TV show association put me off the name for awhile too but it’s also why I’ve come to love the name! Thank you for your thoughts!

1 Like

[name_m]Phineas[/name_m] is definitely useable. I like both spellings but I do agree with [name_f]Katinka[/name_f] that the [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] spelling sets it apart from other [name_u]Finn[/name_u]- names. [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_m]Roberts[/name_m]’ son is [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] and [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_f]Eilish[/name_f]’s brother is [name_m]Finneas[/name_m] so I don’t see why you couldn’t use it. It’s simultaneously cool and spunky but also, as [name_f]Katinka[/name_f] said, has a quirky, slightly geeky thing going on. I love it!