Pippin?

[name]Pippin[/name] is a name that I’m really starting to love, especially with the nn [name]Pip[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think it could work, or is it too childish, and does it go well with my other favourite boys names which are [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Leopold[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Walter[/name]?

Personally, I’d never use it. The reference to the [name]Bob[/name] Fosse musical (which is a great, although disturbing and surreal piece) is too discomforting. [name]Philip[/name] is a great name and [name]Pip[/name] is an excellent nn from it. It also goes very well with the others you’ve listed.

I like [name]Pippin[/name] for a nickname for [name]Peregrine[/name] (as I think other LOTR first) and I love [name]Pip[/name] as a nickname for [name]Pippin[/name] or [name]Philip[/name].

I wouldn’t use [name]Pippin[/name] though because all anyone with think of is LOTR or [name]Bob[/name] Fosse, but I tihnk [name]Peregrine[/name] is great. However, I think [name]Philip[/name] goes with your other boys names and [name]Peregrine[/name] (or [name]Pippin[/name]) doesn’t.

I think of [name]Pepin[/name], which is a [name]King[/name]'s name, so I don’t think it is childish at all. [name]Love[/name] it!

If you’re considered about how it’ll age, use [name]Philip[/name], as others have suggested. It’s a sturdy, timeless name, and [name]Pip[/name] or [name]Pippin[/name] could work as a nn.

Fabulous as a nn for a young child, but I don’t believe it “grows up” very well. [name]Phillip[/name] is an easy option to get this nickname.

I agree with this! I think you could use either [name]Pippin[/name] or [name]Pip[/name] as a nn for [name]Philip[/name]/[name]Phillip[/name], especially if you use an “N” mn…

I don’t care for it. I do like [name]Pip[/name] as nickname for [name]Phillip[/name].

Edited for privacy.

I immediately think of the musical with [name]Pippin[/name], although I love [name]Pip[/name] as a nn for [name]Philip[/name] (I’m a big [name]Charles[/name] Dickens fan).

And [name]Philip[/name] works wonderfully with [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Leopold[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] & [name]Walter[/name] imo!

:slight_smile: [name]Cris[/name]

I can’t imagine being a 40 year old man and having to introduce myself as [name]Pippin[/name]. I think it’s a cute nickname but really doesn’t work as a full name. Your other name choices are very classic and have a certain amount of dignity to them that Pippen totally lacks.

I would never be able to take someone with the name [name]Pippin[/name] seriously. I think [name]Pip[/name] is a cute nickname for a little boy, but that’s it. [name]Pippin[/name] doesn’t strike me as a name that would age well at all.

This is probably going to be taken quite badly but here in the UK a child with the name [name]Pippin[/name] is going to have a very, very hard time in school. It sounds like something you’d call an animal, it’s weak sounding and to be honest it wouldn’t fill a child with confidence. I mean would you rather introduce yourself as [name]Phillip[/name] or [name]Pippin[/name]? I don’t like [name]Phillip[/name] but at least it would be able to withstand teasing and torment.
I wouldn’t wish the name [name]Pippin[/name] on anyone, sorry and your other names are much, much better!

My name is [name]Pippin[/name], (I’m a 26yo woman)
I love my name, I get compliments on it most of the time, occasionally a [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings reference or [name]Scotty[/name] Pippen (basketball). Overall, I’m really happy to be a [name]Pippin[/name], I definately feel as though my name has grown with me, I don’t feel as though it is too childlike. I have only ever met one other [name]Pippin[/name] and that was a boy the same age as me, so definately good for a boy or girl!

My opinion: If the [name]Ryder[/name]'s of the world can introduce themselves when they are 40 (there’s so many of them that they will be able to and be just fine with it!) then [name]Pippin[/name] will age just fine. People seem to think about how it would be to meet a 40 year old NOW with these “juvenile names,” but what matters is that it will be different 40 years from now. There will be a lot of kids growing up as [name]Piper[/name], [name]Pippa[/name], [name]Ryder[/name], [name]Emmie[/name], etc and a [name]Pippin[/name] will fit right in.

By the way: I work (in a professional career) with a [name]Kaylee[/name] and my husband works with a 30 year old man named [name]Skyler[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are well respected and no one thinks twice about their names.