Please convince me of Finley

[name]Hi[/name]!

We are expecting our first son soon and really like the name [name]Finley[/name]/[name]Finlay[/name] (not sure which spelling). However, we have absolutely no Scottish (or Irish) in our roots, so what do you think? Is it still OK to use, or is it strange to pick such an overtly Scottish name when we are not? My husband feels it has become so well used in [name]England[/name] that it’s fine, but I just need some reassurance! I would also love to hear some possible alternatives - names that have a similar sound or vibe, but maybe are English, and so more appropriate to our heritage?! Thank you for your help.

[name]Emma[/name] :slight_smile:

I think it’s fine. I agree with your husband that this name has been used often enough to become usable for those without Scottish/Irish heritage. I think my [name]BIL[/name] and [name]SIL[/name] are planning on using the name [name]Liam[/name], and I don’t think they have any Scottish/Irish heritage either. Besides, there are a lot of people named [name]Gavin[/name] and [name]Sean[/name] who have no such heritage.

If you are really put off my the names background, below are some name I think have a similar feel:
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Casey[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]
[name]Parker[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Basil[/name]

Thanks for your reply. I’d be interested to hear any other suggestions! :slight_smile:

I agree with your husband…[name]Finley[/name] (I like this sp.for a boy) is popular in your country, so I don’t think you have to be Scottish/Irish to use it! [name]How[/name] about just [name]Finn[/name]?