Please give some advice on how to spell this name

Okay so i think its official, we are naming her [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Joy[/name]. I want the pronnunciation of her name to be loo-see-ah not loosha or loo- chi-ah. My mom is insisting that i spell it Lucea or Luceeah instead of [name]Lucia[/name] so that their will be no confusion on how to pronounce it. I think we should leave it spelled lucia.I would like to hear what you ladies think so we get some more opinions on the matter!
Thanks
[name]Ash[/name]

Oh my, Lucea and Luceeah are truly awful (especially the second one!). I pronounce [name]Lucia[/name] the way you like, and I’d guess the average American would, too. Plus, once you tell people how to say her name, they should understand.

[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Joy[/name] is beautiful! I really love it!

Please god do not spell it Luceeah!! Haha.

If I read it I’d initally think loo-see-ah which is the sound you want. She may sometimes have to correct people but only because there are different ways to prounounce this name not because the spelling is deceiving. I think the main problem will be people with Spanish, Italian heritage etc calling her loo-chee-uh but her friends and family will all know how to pronounce it and she’ll be introducing herself to most new people she meets by saying the name not writing it down so they’ll know how to say it from the start!

I think the name’s beautiful as it is and don’t think you should change the spelling :slight_smile:

It’s no different to a [name]Thea[/name] ([name]Tay[/name]-uh, Thee-uh) or a [name]Lena[/name] ([name]Lee[/name]-na, [name]Lay[/name]-na)!

Oh, no no no. Please don’t listen to your mom, as well intentioned as she must be. [name]Lucia[/name] is a beautiful spelling for a beautiful name and I really don’t think there will be much trouble with pronunciation.

I agree! Keep it [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Joy[/name]…beautiful name!

Spell it [name]Lucia[/name]. Any time you start to get crazy with the spelling for the sake of phonetics, it confuses a lot of people just the same, and it makes the name look unattractive. I think some people might say Lucea “loo-say-a” because they’ve never seen it before and assume it is some variation on [name]Lucia[/name] that’s pronounced differently. There is nothing cute about it. If people say her name wrong, she can correct them. It is a lot better than having to correct the spelling. Spelling a name wrong is like, permanent ugly compared to correcting someone who pronounces it differently than you wish. Attempting to help people pronounce it correctly by spelling it phonetically often has unpredictable results, so don’t even try. I think most people who say it wrong will not be insulted if you correct them, whereas if they spell it wrong by spelling it right on a form, they have a much better case - you’re the one with the crazy spelling, why you have to make things difficult? It’s not the kind of attention you want on yourself or your daughter.

I see how that can get mispronounced a lot but I think [name]Lucia[/name] is the best spelling and you should just keep it like that. So or your child may have to correct people sometimes…it happens, sometimes with the simplest of names

“I think the main problem will be people with Spanish, Italian heritage etc calling her loo-chee-uh”

[name]Lucia[/name] is pronounced Loo-see-ah in Spanish, so don’t worry about that. (Unless you go to Spain, then it’s Loo-thee-ah)

Really, your little girl is either going to have to say, “It’s Loo-see-ah” or “It’s spelled L-U-C-E-E-A-H” or however. I’d rather have the name spelled correctly.

Spell it correctly! [name]Lucia[/name] is beautiful!

I agree!

I pronounce it the way it is pronounced with that spelling, Loosha.