Please help us name our baby boy

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there

We have two daughters - [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] - and we are expecting our first baby boy.

We need help on choosing a name!

We like traditional names that are not too common (we like to try to stay out of the top 100).

Our last name is a one-syllable name that starts with J.

We like names that have two or more syllables (given our one-syllable surname) but we are happy with one-syllable nicknames. I really like names that can be shortened into a nickname.

I have tended to steer away from names that start with J or a J-sound as I’m not sure about the alliteration.

Our backgrounds are Germanic, Welsh and Irish and we tend to find ourselves looking to those to find a name.

Middle name will be [name_u]Roy[/name_u] (this is a family name).

I like [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Roy[/name_u] but my husband is not sure about [name_u]August[/name_u].

We both agreed that we could use the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u] if we chose [name_u]August[/name_u] - and we both really like [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. We have started to look at other names that would give us the nickname [name_u]Gus[/name_u] - we’ve come up with [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] and [name_m]Angus[/name_m] - but I feel like we like the nickname more than the actual names.

I love both the full versions of my daughter’s names and their nicknames ([name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and [name_u]Clem[/name_u]).

I stumbled across [name_m]Callan[/name_m] yesterday - I’m not sure about it but my husband really likes it. I’m worried it could lead to confusion with [name_m]Callum[/name_m].

I quite like [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] but I’m not sure about the nickname possibilities - [name_u]Pat[/name_u] or [name_u]Paddy[/name_u].

Please help!

Thank you!

[name_m]Lochlan[/name_m] came to mind immediately, and I really like the strong, masculine nn [name_m]Loch[/name_m]. I also like [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]/[name_m]Euan[/name_m] or [name_m]Maguire[/name_m]. [name_u]August[/name_u] is great too. All the best!

I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and [name_m]Lowell[/name_m]. It has an L and is a french variation, which connects all of the names. It has a similar sound to [name_m]Callan[/name_m], but doesn’t share a letter with a sibling. I like your current names, and [name_u]August[/name_u] is nice too.

I have to say I love the sound of [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] or [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_m]Angus[/name_m]. I adore the name [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] and all it’s nicknames.

Much prefer [name_m]Callum[/name_m] to [name_m]Callan[/name_m], and yes, you will get the confusion (constantly). [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is such a dapper nickname.

[name_m]Patrick[/name_m] is a great name and isn’t often used any longer.

Other options with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]:

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Derrick[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Gareth[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Forrest[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u] (love the nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u])

[name_m]Augustin[/name_m] or [name_m]Augusten[/name_m] goes well with your other girls names length wise

But [name_m]Angus[/name_m] is my favourite name so I’m going to have to vote for that

Also I really like [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] but don’t like [name_u]Pat[/name_u] or [name_u]Paddy[/name_u], and I’ve noticed that whilst older people seem to shorten names a lot more, nowadays most people are known by their full name

Other cute nicknames are Patch, Packie and [name_f]Trix[/name_f] (in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] I actually know more packies than paddies)

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] might also be a good option for you

I would encourage the OP to stay away from [name_m]Lowell[/name_m]. I know a [name_m]Lowell[/name_m] and he has so much trouble with his name. No one understands when he says it. I remember when I met him I had to ask him like five times to repeat it and he just sighed and spelled it out. Also it sounds like the acronym “lol” (if you pronounce it, rather than el-oh-el).

First, I’d just like to say, ur daughter’s names are gorgeous! Okay so for names:

[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Tomas[/name_m]

Idk It’s pretty hard with the boy names.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] are lovely names!
[name_u]Roy[/name_u] is a handsome middle, too.
I’m sure you’ve already considered it, but why not [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]? It sounds dignified, like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], gives you [name_u]Gus[/name_u] AND [name_u]August[/name_u] for nicknames…
It seems pretty much perfect.
Any other names you’ve considered?

I love the suggestion of [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]! [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]… [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_u]Clem[/name_u] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. [name_u]Love[/name_u]. It.

I also liked [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m].

What about…
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] ([name_m]Ned[/name_m])
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] ([name_m]Wes[/name_m])
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] ([name_u]Max[/name_u])
[name_m]Julian[/name_m] ([name_u]Jude[/name_u])
[name_m]Quentin[/name_m] ([name_u]Quinn[/name_u])
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] ([name_u]Sam[/name_u])
[name_m]Leon[/name_m] ([name_m]Leo[/name_m])
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] ([name_m]Eli[/name_m] or [name_m]Leo[/name_m])
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] ([name_m]Eli[/name_m])
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] ([name_m]Ike[/name_m])
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] ([name_m]Vince[/name_m])
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] ([name_m]Seb[/name_m], [name_m]Baz[/name_m], Bass, Bash, [name_m]Bastian[/name_m])
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] ([name_m]Rhett[/name_m])
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] ([name_u]Drew[/name_u])
[name_m]Mitchell[/name_m] ([name_m]Mitch[/name_m])
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] ([name_m]Nate[/name_m], [name_m]Nathan[/name_m])
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] ([name_u]Freddie[/name_u])

I think [name_u]Cal[/name_u] and [name_u]Clem[/name_u] are too close. Not to mention, your girls’ names are sophisticated and classic and [name_m]Callen[/name_m] sounds sort of made up and trendy. And yes, many will assume [name_m]Callum[/name_m] anyway.

If you’re open to other ideas, how about continuing the subtle the-second-letter-is-L theme?

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], &

[name_m]Alaric[/name_m]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Alfonso[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_u]Blaise[/name_u]
[name_m]Ellias[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Olaf[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]

What about [name_m]Callahan[/name_m]?

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]!

You could also consider:
[name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Damian[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Kellin[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m] [name_u]Roy[/name_u]

I adore [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u]! [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] feels more vintage and has the same feel as your girls’ names.
[name_m]Callan[/name_m] feels to trendy.

Suggestions:
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] ([name_m]Gabe[/name_m])
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] ([name_u]Toby[/name_u])
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m] ([name_u]Finn[/name_u])
[name_m]Phillip[/name_m] ([name_m]Pip[/name_m])
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] ([name_m]Gil[/name_m])
[name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] ([name_m]Monty[/name_m])

HTH