please let me know what you think of the name colin

do you think it’s too popular? how would you describe this name? preppy/upscale or common/boyish or something else? thanks for all of your good advice!!!

When I think of [name]Colin[/name], it’s a name I would consider common. I don’t think it’s unique. I wouldn’t call it upscale, preppy maybe. Depends, I can see it both on a preppy, [name]Ivy[/name] League guy, and a hard-working, blue-collar man. So I think it’s versatile.

Popular? Maybe, it is in the top 200. But I don’t think it’s trendy. I also think of [name]Colin[/name] [name]Farrell[/name] when I hear it.

I’ve always loved the name [name]Colin[/name], and am sad to see how it’s risin in popularity. That said, for some reason I’m not bothered by the popularity of boys’ names like I am with the popularity of girls’ names, and for me, [name]Colin[/name] still retains most of its charm.

Although it’s not actually a classic name, I think it works beautifully with the classics.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like the name [name]Colin[/name] and think of it as a preppy name. I do prefer this spelling better than [name]Collin[/name]. It’s not very popular but does remind me of [name]Conner[/name] which was the most popular boys name at my daughters school last year. I can see that it could rise in popularity but like [name]Jill[/name] said popular boys names don’t bother me like popular girls names.

I love the name [name]Colin[/name]. It means “cub”, and can be a nn for [name]Nicholas[/name]. The reason I love the name [name]Colin[/name] so much is because of a character who is named [name]Colin[/name] in the [name]George[/name] [name]MacDonald[/name] books. My favorite of [name]MacDonald[/name]'s books is “The [name]Princess[/name] and the Goblin”. No wait, maybe that character in that book is named Curdie. I think [name]Colin[/name] is another character in one of [name]MacDonald[/name]'s books. I also love the little boy named [name]Colin[/name] who is in “The [name]Secret[/name] Garden”. And as I have admitted many times, I think [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name] is super handsome.

I love the name [name]Colin[/name] and I think mira’s description of the name was right on (in my opinion). Its a very solid, handsome name :slight_smile:

I used to like [name]Colin[/name], but it’s popularity has put me off. Unfortunately, with popularity comes meaning change. While it may have once been preppy/elite, it’s rise among the masses are bound to give it a less sophisticated association over time. I personally know 4 Colins under 3, each from very different backgrounds. If you want an “everyman’s” name, this might be a good choice. If you are looking for something less common or more preppy sounding, I would choose something else. Good luck!

i love the name colin but there was this boy in my kindergarten class that would burp in your face but other than that i love the name.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Colin[/name]. I think it’s so handsome.

When I was at school in 1960’s this was the era of Colins. I have always thought it was a plain, uninteresting name, dorky whereas I find [name]Nicholas[/name] amazing, gorgeous, fantastic.

Not only that we had a TV show with the studipest [name]Colin[/name] alive as one of the main characters, (he was meant to be portrayed as an absolute dimwit) and they used to say his name in the dorkiest way sort of Col said back in your throat and short un.

Ten million votes for [name]Nicholas[/name] and none for [name]Colin[/name].