Please share your thoughts on this name!

My husband is really keen on the name [name]Arly[/name] for a girl.

I do really like the sound of it but still not 100% sure… Not worried about it being a bit nicknamey but wonder if it sounds too trendy/made up and not sure how well it works with our other daughter, named [name]Bay[/name].

I’d love some honest feedback on this name and how you think it works as a sibset with [name]Bay[/name].

I love nicknamey names, so I do like it. I think it looks and sounds nice with [name]Bay[/name]. However, I prefer the spelling [name]Arlie[/name]. You may also like the spelling [name]Arleigh[/name] (looks too trendy for my liking, but we all have different taste so I thought I’d throw it out there). I think it’s cute that your husband likes it.

I really like [name]Arly[/name] too. But I agree with ‘alzora’ I like the spelling [name]Arlie[/name] better. I think the short name also works well with [name]Bay[/name].

I don’t like it at all. Sorry. It reminds me of the word gnarly. Also, it will get mistaken a lot for [name]Harley[/name], [name]Marley[/name], [name]Early[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name]. It sounds made up and nicknamey at the same time, which I don’t care for. It also sounds kind of masculine to me, not 100% sure why.

[name]Bay[/name] is a great nature name. Short, simple but still very bold. [name]Arly[/name] seems insubstantial in comparison.

I like it and it sounds really good with [name]Bay[/name].

Thanks for the feedback so far…
We have toyed with different spellings and think we’ll stick with [name]Arly[/name] as it’s a river in [name]France[/name] and I like the subtle water connection with [name]Bay[/name].
Also not minding that it sounds a little masculine as [name]Bay[/name] also a unisex name so that actually fits okay.
The middle name we will probably use is [name]Thora[/name] (great grandmas name) so that should help feminise things a bit.

Yes I think deep down my main issue with this name is that I just don’t feel it’s as amazing as [name]Bay[/name]. We were both so sure of that name and both loved it so much, it was easy! This time round we have found it really hard to agree on name and whatever we chose is going to be a compromise of sorts, which isn’t a nice feeling! My top pick is [name]Seren[/name] so still hoping that DH comes round to that one.

Anyway I appreciate everyone’s thoughts on [name]Arly[/name], I am still swinging back and forth a bit on this one, I want to love it just terrified that I’ll agree then regret it later! [name]Baby[/name] is due next week!!! So we don’t have much time up our sleeve!

If anyone else has any comments on this name I’d love to hear them!!

Have you considered [name]Thora[/name] in the first spot? It’s a really great name. [name]Thora[/name] [name]Seren[/name] sounds pretty.

@ roseymaam- Yes DH would have liked to use [name]Thora[/name] as first name but it’s me who’s not so keen on it. [name]Just[/name] sounds a bit too old lady to me… especially next to [name]Bay[/name]

(A summary of all the names we’ve considered can be found here)
Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

I agree with uselesskitty that [name]Arly[/name] seems kind of masculine and insubstantial. I like [name]Seren[/name] much better with [name]Bay[/name]. I like [name]Thora[/name], too–it’s so rarely heard that it doesn’t feel old ladyish to me at all.

I like [name]Arly[/name] [name]Thora[/name]! I think it goes well with [name]Bay[/name].

Any other thoughts?

[name]Arly[/name] is a beautiful name. I know a sweet little three-year-old with that name, and it sounds and looks lovely with [name]Bay[/name].

What about [name]Arlene[/name] [name]Thora[/name]? Nicknamed [name]Arly[/name]. I think that sounds a bit more substantial.

Sounds made up to me. Also, sounds beachy somehow.

I think [name]Seren[/name] is much nicer with [name]Bay[/name] :slight_smile:

Snce my name is [name]Carly[/name]… [name]Arly[/name] sounds a bit “incomplete” to me, sorry.

[name_m]Ive[/name_m] read a few of your threads now and desperate to know what you named ur baby :slight_smile: