Please tell me your thoughts on the name 'Denali'

I recently have been giving some thought to the name [name]Denali[/name] (for a girl) middle name would be ‘[name]Rose[/name]’ ([name]Denali[/name] [name]Rose[/name] K.). What are your thoughts on this name? Does it sound feminine? Does it sound pretty? What would you name a sibling to [name]Denali[/name] [name]Rose[/name]?

[name]TIA[/name]!

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce it and what does it mean were the first things that popped into my head. I do love [name]Rose[/name] but it is rather overused in the mn position (this may not worry you). It kind of sounds like a jazzed up [name]Danielle[/name] to me but the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I’m off to go look it up!

Well I’m back from looking it up. Nameberry says it is a boys name but it sounds more feminine to me. It is a place name, the highest mountain in USA, Mt. [name]McKinley[/name] is in [name]Denali[/name] National [name]Park[/name], Alaska. With this in mind I would recommend using other place names for future siblings. Personally it’s not my cup of tea but I can see its appeal.

Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

Hmm. I’ve only heard this as a name once and it was on one of my dad’s male horses. It definitely strikes me as male, because of this. It is/was also the name of a car, GMC Yukon [name]Denali[/name].

I hate to pooh-pooh, but this name sounds neither feminine nor pretty to me.

[name]How[/name] about

[name]Mahalia[/name]/[name]Mahalie[/name] – love this one
[name]Amalia[/name]/[name]Amalie[/name]
[name]Anjali[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]/[name]Dalia[/name]
[name]Damaris[/name] – don’t really like this name, but thought I’d suggest it anyway
[name]Delaney[/name]
Didiane – ditto

I’m sure you’re making an Alaskan reference. I think it would be a beautiful winter name. I saw [name]Denali[/name] on my trip last year to Alaska, and it’s beauty is without question.

I’m sure you’re making an Alaskan reference. I think it would be a beautiful winter name. I saw [name]Denali[/name] on my trip last year to Alaska, and it’s beauty is without question.

Yes it is a pretty combination, and to me it sounds as if it has [name]Indian[/name] roots.

[name]Denali[/name] sounds pretty, but it’s also a brand of car made by GMC.

I love the name [name]Denali[/name], but I grew up in Alaska. There are many children growing up in Alaska with the name [name]Denali[/name], some male but mostly female. Alaskans like to use names of places to commemorate living in the [name]Land[/name] of the [name]Midnight[/name] [name]Sun[/name] (Alaska’s state motto until recently). Other names Alaskan use:

Alyeska - name of a ski resort, pro. [name]Al[/name]-ee-ess-kah
[name]McKinley[/name] - alternative name for the mountain [name]Denali[/name], used as an alternative to [name]McKenzie[/name]
[name]Elias[/name] - again, after a mountain in Alaska, Mt. [name]St[/name]. [name]Elias[/name]
Chena - a name of a river
[name]Kodiak[/name] - a name of a river and town, used as an alternative to [name]Cody[/name]

I’ll be honest it first sounds like a boy…and only because I think of the vehicle…but it’s not a terrible name.

[name]Just[/name] don’t call her Yukon :slight_smile:

other than the reference to the vehicle, i think it’s pretty.

[name]Denali[/name] = car …

I have to admit that it reminds me of the word “denial.” I love so many of the names you’ve been considering, though!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this bothers you, but [name]Denali[/name] also features in the Twilight series - it is the home of a coven of vampires :slight_smile:

[name]Denali[/name] to me is ike naming your child [name]Ford[/name]. i believe someone once posted on Nameberry that they wanted to name their child ford so it can be done. I dislike [name]Rose[/name], june, jane, lynn, grace as middle names as they are fillers.

Hmmmm…honestly, I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it, either. What first came to mind when I read [name]Denali[/name] was the [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name] movies–it has that kind of vibe to it.

As an alternative, what about [name]Denae[/name] (pronounced [name]Den[/name]-A)? It’s more feminine (I couldn’t tell if [name]Denali[/name] was a boy or girl name from your question) but still has that cool vibe to it.

I didn’t know it was a car, and if you’d told me it was a placename I guess I would have thought [name]Africa[/name] before I thought Alaska. I don’t see what’s wrong with it necessarily–it’s kind of fun to say.

My nephew, now a teenager, is named [name]Ford[/name]–and it was a family name. Everyone seems to like his name (very few automotive jokes) and I have to say it suits him. I might not have known the name would serve so well unless he had it. You can dismiss a name like [name]Ford[/name] easily by saying “it’s a car”, but you’ve also got to think it was/is the last name of a long line of people.