plz plz plz help me with spelling! Annabel or Anabel?

[name]Hi[/name] berries! i am in desperate need of your help here. We are due next month ([name]October[/name]) and were pretty dead set on [name]Annabel[/name] :slight_smile: however, i went and had a few hats monogrammed for our little girl and when i recieved them the name was spelt “[name]Anabel[/name]” which is no big deal to have corrected if i want to. The thing is, i kind of liked the way it looked there on the hats and it has me reconsidering the spelling. So here is what i want to know from you, since you guys seem to really know your stuff with names and origins and whatnot, is [name]Anabel[/name] an actual spelling? or is it made up, bc the last thing i want is a made up spelling lol. Also, is this the spanish spelling of the name? i did read somewhere that it was but, i dont know how reliable it was and that is actually a good thing bc my husbands family is originally from spain. [name]Do[/name] you think it will still be pronounced correctly as [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Bell[/name]? Finally, which spelling do you prefer [name]Anabel[/name] OR [name]Annabel[/name] which do you think looks better, has a better chance of not being mispelled or mispronounced? By the way the [name]Annabelle[/name] spelling is not even an option so please dont say you prefer that spelling, its just too long and overdone to us.

Please help me, i was so happy to have the naming of this baby set and out of the way, and now i am questioning the spelling! plus, if we stick with our original spelling [name]Annabel[/name] (which i think i prefer) i have to get these hats fixed ASAP! LOL… thank you :smiley:

Hm. As far as I know, [name]Anabel[/name] is the Spanish spelling of [name]Annabel[/name], which could be nice for your family, considering your husband’s (?) Spanish heritage. But, at the same time, I would be inclined to pronounce [name]Anabel[/name] more along the lines of ([name]AH[/name]-nah-bel) rather than ([name]ANN[/name]-nah-bel), just as I would pronounce [name]Ana[/name] as ([name]AH[/name]-nah) and [name]Anna[/name] as ([name]ANN[/name]-nah). Personally, I prefer [name]Annabel[/name] as a spelling - it’s my favorite way to spell the name!

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Annabel[/name] is one of my favorite names too, and am strongly considering using it in the middle name spot! So coming from another [name]Annabel[/name] lover, i would definitely use the “[name]Annabel[/name]” spelling. To me it is the most classic spelling, and would result in the proper pronunciation. If you chose to go with [name]Anabel[/name], i feel it would be pronounced “[name]AH[/name]-na-belle” — since the name [name]Ana[/name] is said differently then [name]Anna[/name]. Plus, [name]Anabel[/name] looks incomplete to me. The only other spelling i would consider using would be [name]Annabelle[/name], but it seems slightly excessive with 2 double letters.
[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I don’t think either spelling is going to make a difference on the pronunciation- I think English speaking people will pronounce it [name]Annabel[/name] either way and Spanish speaking people will pronounce it [name]AH[/name]-NA-[name]BEL[/name] either way, too. I could be wrong but that is my experience having it spelled [name]Annabel[/name].

As far as the spelling, I’m biased because my name is [name]Annabel[/name], but I really prefer the spelling with two n’s. One “n” just looks incomplete to me. Also, if the nick name [name]Ann[/name] is something you like it might be strange to spell it [name]Ann[/name] if you use only one n in the name. I don’t know how to put my finger on it, but [name]Anabel[/name] just looks so weird and strange to me!

Maybe someone who isn’t as biased as I am can give you a better answer. Sorry!

Thank you, [name]Lemon[/name]! i was afraid of that. I also automatically thought [name]AH[/name]-nuh-bell might be a problem with that spelling. All i pretty much needed was 1 other person to varify that for me lol. I think i am going to stick with [name]Annabel[/name], it has been the only spelling we ever considered from the beginning and the first one that i loved so i am a firm believer in sticking with your first instict. Now i have these mispelled hats that i have to try to get corrected grrrrr lol…

Yea, I think sticking with your gut instinct is probably the best policy. Go and get those hats remade for Miss [name]Annabel[/name]! :slight_smile:

Thank you all so much! you all just varified all the thoughts that were going through my head. i guess i just liked seeing her name in writing for the very first time :smiley: i am going to stick with [name]Annabel[/name], i feel alot better about it and changing it makes me sad, which should be a sign lol…thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Yes, just in case you needed any more affirmation, I definitely agree [name]Anabel[/name] is [name]AH[/name]-na-bel and [name]Annabel[/name] is [name]ANNa[/name]-bel. :wink: Let us know how adorable your hats are when they are fixed!

Here’s another vote for [name]Annabel[/name] - for sure!

Another vote for [name]Annabel[/name], without hesitation. It’s more likely to be spelled correctly and looks more complete imo. I agree with you that [name]Annabelle[/name] is just overdone, but [name]Anabel[/name] seems incomplete to me. [name]Annabel[/name] is lovely, by the way!