Poll - what do you think?

Trying to come up with an honor name for a Mark. We have a family member that has a little girl named Mary Kate, so we have to choose carefully. I don’t want it to be too close to her name. Do any of these work, if so, in your opinion - which works best? Or do any of these work without being too close to Mary? Open to other suggestions! TIA!

• Maren
  • Maris
  • Mae/May

0 voters

I love [name_f]Maren[/name_f], but the [name_f]Mar[/name_f]- sound makes it look too close too [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. I went with Mae/May for the same reason. It is different from [name_f]Mary[/name_f], honours [name_m]Mark[/name_m], and is stylish.

5 Likes

[name_f]Maris[/name_f] and maren seem abit weird and made up and to me may/mae isn’t a substantial first name as it’s usually used for a middle name.

They are all abit dull and old lady like in my opinion

These are such a sweet trio of names! They all feel very warm and a little bit vintage, in just a sweet, familiar yet uncommon way. I went with [name_f]May[/name_f]! One of my absolute favorites. She’s so spunky yet so sweet at the same time. And totally not confusing with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]!

1 Like

Like… like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and Ashley?..

To be honest, none of them work for me to honour a [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. I would never associate any of these names with the name [name_m]Mark[/name_m].

I love [name_f]May[/name_f], so I voted for that. It is a lovely name!

I don’t know how I would honour a [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. It is almost impossible. Maybe he has a middle name?

Markéta is a Czech form of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] but it includes [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. Maybe that would work as a middle name? [name_u]Or[/name_u] Marketta, a Finnish form of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

As in you pick any name you like: [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] - whatever you love and add Markéta or Marketta as a middle name. [name_f]Ava[/name_f] Markéta, [name_f]Isla[/name_f] Markéta, [name_f]Rose[/name_f] Marketta etc.

2 Likes

Three lovely options! I don’t think any are too close to [name_f]Mary[/name_f], expect maybe the [name_f]May[/name_f] spelling. I voted for [name_f]Maren[/name_f], but [name_f]Maren[/name_f] and [name_f]Maris[/name_f] are both great honor names for [name_m]Mark[/name_m]!

1 Like

Names with the MAR that you might also consider

[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Marla[/name_f]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]
[name_f]Marcy[/name_f]
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_f]Marietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariam[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Marianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Marsha[/name_f]
Mauricia
[name_f]Marnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Marta[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marlene[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f]
[name_f]Marilyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
Marmalade
[name_f]Maribelle[/name_f]
Marabella

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Maren[/name_f] and find it different than [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. Other Mark-like names I like: [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], [name_f]Maribel[/name_f], [name_f]Maridel[/name_f], [name_f]Connemara[/name_f], [name_f]Marcella[/name_f], [name_f]Maryellen[/name_f]. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is so common that I would not worry about the [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] connection.

1 Like

I voted for [name_f]Mae[/name_f] because it’s so lovely and not too close to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

Maybe consider:

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]- “battle mighty”.
Similar vibe to Mark’s meaning of “war-like” and starts with M.

[name_u]Mars[/name_u]- (Roman God of War) and only one letter off from [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. With all the mythological girls names gaining speed, why not [name_u]Mars[/name_u]?

[name_f]Margot[/name_f]-
[name_f]My[/name_f] niece is named [name_f]Margot[/name_f] with nickname [name_u]Mars[/name_u].
That could tie honor name of [name_m]Mark[/name_m] in nicely.

2 Likes

Thanks for the alternatives! I especially like [name_f]Mara[/name_f] and [name_u]Marian[/name_u]!

Exactly and goes by both names :grimacing:

Thanks for the suggestions!
I’ve have tried to get on board with [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and just can’t do it. I can’t shake the movie from when I was a kid. We have a [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], so it could be a double honor if I can get over that.

I really like Maren!! though [name_f]May[/name_f] would work best to sound least like [name_f]Mary[/name_f]

1 Like

I voted [name_f]Maren[/name_f], but I think it depends somewhat on the pronunciation. I think it sounds distinct from [name_f]Mary[/name_f] if the “mar” is pronounced like in [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. I think it’s too similar if “mar” is pronounced like in [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. I’ve seen “Marr-in” spelt like Mauryn before.

Other ideas:
[name_u]Marin[/name_u] (ma-RIN, like Corinne)
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Marlena[/name_f]
[name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaux[/name_f]
[name_f]Marlys[/name_f]

I hear you! I felt the same way until I watched the movie again with my daughter and it refreshed my love of the name.
Many great names! [name_f]Remember[/name_f] Matilda’s friend [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]? :heart_eyes:
And such sweet nickname options for [name_f]Matilda[/name_f].

1 Like

I had forgotten about [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]! Maybe I need to rewatch it too!

The pronunciation is tricky for me. With [name_f]Maren[/name_f], I feel like Mare-inn is the most intuitive. To get to the mah-rine pronunciation I think [name_u]Marin[/name_u] works better. I like the suggestion of Mauryn too, thanks, that spelling for that pronunciation is spot on! I may just need to adjust how I say it!

1 Like

Your list is lovely and my favourite is [name_f]Maren[/name_f] but if you feel like those name sound too close to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] maybe there is another way to get to an honour name for [name_m]Mark[/name_m]. Would his birthstone work (as in Ruby), his birthday month (as in [name_f]May[/name_f] or [name_u]June[/name_u], even [name_u]March[/name_u] in the middle spot), favourite vacation spot (the name of a city, lake, etc.), birth month flower (February = [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]August[/name_u] = [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], etc.), or I think [name_m]Mark[/name_m] in the middle spot works well. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a few suggestions but others may have more to add.

1 Like