Polly - nickname or standalone?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!
Not a name I’ve considered much before, but I find [name_f]Polly[/name_f] to have a sweet and vintage quality to it, even if it’s a little juvenile and nicknamey. Reminds me of [name_f]Molly[/name_f], but with a slightly different vibe.
Anyway, do you think [name_f]Polly[/name_f] can work as a stand-alone or should it be a nickname? don’t like [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] or any of the [name_m]Paul[/name_m] variants. I like it as a nickname for the [name_f]Mary[/name_f] names as it was in historical times, but it feels to dissimilar in this day and age.
What would you use as a full name for [name_f]Polly[/name_f]?
Thank you!

2 Likes

Either! It’s gorgeous!

The only [name_f]Polly[/name_f] I know in real life is name “just” [name_f]Polly[/name_f]. It’s not a nickname for anything. She’s 14 now and wears her name so nicely.

For a full name, I’d choose something like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (which the nickname originated from) or maybe… [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]? But most realistically, I’d choose “just” [name_f]Polly[/name_f]!

I like as both.
Honestly I think that any nickname can work, I mean at least where I live people call you even by nicknames of your last name or of your middle or with totally random ones and they won’t question it, so I think it is fine. I am not sure of how nicknames are various in your country or region though.
Anyways I like [name_f]Polly[/name_f] for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and it can work also for, closely, [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_f]Polina[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] etc.

I think [name_f]Polly[/name_f] can stand alone! It’s light, bright and warm but solid too!
I’ve encountered a teenaged [name_f]Polly[/name_f] and she carried it off well.

As full names, I’d consider:

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f]

1 Like

I’d go with [name_f]Polly[/name_f]!

I think it will be hard to shake off the parrot association. You won’t be taken too seriously with this name.

I love [name_f]Polly[/name_f]! She’s sweet! Definitely a standalone name in the same way that [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Peggy[/name_f], [name_f]Sally[/name_f], etc, are standalone names :two_hearts:

1 Like

I disagree, it’s a lovely name! Name associations fade fast after getting to know the person :blush:

I used to dislike it a bit when I was younger, but I am growing on it, it is fery sweet and full of a cozy autumnal charm for me now. It reminds me of beige and brown, hot chocolate, and vintage books. Actually my first book I read when I was a child was [name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f] and another book I loved to read when I was a child had as a protagonist [name_f]Polly[/name_f] so it reminds me of my childhood too, and has a bookish vibe.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Polly[/name_f], and I think it can stand on its own. [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is [name_f]Polly[/name_f] from Fawlty [name_m]Towers[/name_m] (but I’m probably older than most of you so you may not get that reference).

I like it as a nn for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f].

i’d choose “just” [name_f]Polly[/name_f], but I love her as a stretchy nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_f]Polina[/name_f]! [name_u]Pallas[/name_u] isn’t really your style, I don’t think, but could definitely work, I think xx

I think it’s a very sweet name and would certainly work as a stand-alone. Personally though, I do think I’d use it as a nickname for something like [name_f]Paloma[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Polly[/name_f] is very sweet! I like it as a nickname for longer P names — [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], [name_f]Paloma[/name_f].

1 Like

I prefer it on its own

I think it could work alone without a full name.
But I like it best as a nickname for [name_f]Paloma[/name_f]. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] could work too.