Popular names you just don't 'get'.

[name]Clementine[/name]. It gets thrown around here as a suggestion all the time, and all I think of are the fruits in the wooden boxes. I just really, really dislike it.

[name]Poppy[/name]. It’s what we called my maternal grandfather. And it’s a seed on my bagel. [name]Don[/name]'t like it one bit.

[name]Twyla[/name]- not popular but I’ve seen it here a few times. Maybe I’m just a pervert, but I see a lot of vulgar teasing potential here.

I also dislike [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Piper[/name]- can’t really elaborate why. Nameberry has made me reconsider a lot of names in a new light, but these few… just… no. :slight_smile:

I don’t get the name [name]Harry[/name]. There will never be a time when the name [name]Harry[/name] is cute. It is a terrible name and I feel bad for the poor kids who have to live with it. Hopefully they will be inovative and come up with a new nickname for themselves before they enter high school. That or really hit the gym so they don’t get picked on.

I dislike [name]Harry[/name] as well, but to its credit it doesn’t sound quite so bad in the UK where it is popular. In [name]America[/name] [name]Harry[/name] usually sounds just like ‘hairy’, but in the UK its more like Hah-ree (name) vs. hay-ree (lots of hair).

[name]Bleu[/name]

What the hell? Isn’t it pronounced something like Bleh or Bluh?
Why would you call your child something that sounds like you just threw up a little?

It’s fine as a word and a colour name but not a human name. It’s not attractive at all.

[name]LILIA[/name]

I’ve been seeing this one on here a lot lately, both as a name someone wants to match and as a name someone has suggested, but I really cannot stand it! The name is [name]Lilia[/name], and I sincerely apologize to those who love it, but it just doesn’t work for me at all. It honestly irks me and makes me uncomfortable. I don’t know if it is the fact that it looks like [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Lillian[/name] but trying too hard or if it sounds like my favorite, [name]Lydia[/name], but looks made up! I really don’t know! Okay, I’m done ranting now, and again, I’m sorry… :-/

Sorry if these are anyone’s favorites - it sure would be boring if we all liked the same names!

[name]Jay[/name]/[name]Bray[/name]/[name]Kay[/name]/[name]Hayden[/name] - please make it stop.

Mc-anything.

[name]Madison[/name]/[name]Addison[/name]/[name]Emerson[/name]

[name]Emery[/name] - I just think of the nail file.

[name]Freya[/name], [name]Isla[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Penelope[/name]/[name]Poppy[/name], [name]Araminta[/name], [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Amelie[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Dorothea[/name], [name]Agatha[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name] - these all feel like they’re just trying a little too hard.

[name]Violet[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Aster[/name], [name]Skylar[/name] - I just don’t like the way these words sound.

[name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Annabella[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name] - I think the [name]Belle[/name]/Bellas in the world have reached a critical mass at this point.

[name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name] - quickly catching up to the Bellas.

[name]Harold[/name], [name]Bram[/name], [name]Cohen[/name], [name]Lawrence[/name] - just not a fan.

[name]Finnegan[/name] - makes me think of that children’s song - “there once was a man named [name]Michael[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name]…”

[name]Just[/name] don’t get [name]Peyton[/name] for a girl??? Where did that come from? It sounds like a surname…

I’m reading with a smile all the different names that don’t appeal to folks for whatever reason. As a teacher, I meet lots of kids with lots of different names- trendy,cute,classic, unique etc. My opinion is that the name has to fit the child. If the child’s first and last name work well— and the name goes with the personality… then the name is fabulous. If not, it’s just silly and some kids are very mismatched with their names so I think the kids makes the name, not the other way.

I really can’t stand popular girls’ names that start with J:
[name]Jessica[/name]
[name]Jordana[/name]
[name]Jennifer[/name]/[name]Jenna[/name]/[name]Jenny[/name]
[name]Jasmine[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]

The only one I like is [name]Jane[/name], which has more elegance.

I have the same issue… I just don’t like J names! [name]Junia[/name], [name]June[/name] or [name]Jane[/name] are the only ones I can tolerate, as well as [name]Julie[/name] but only for the [name]Jules[/name] nickname… I don’t really like names that starts with a hard K sound either, with some exceptions, but the J thing is the worst…
Now that I think about it though, I’m okay with J names for boys, but even then I only really like [name]Justus[/name]…

[name]Tristian[/name] - makes me think of Triscuits the crackers.
[name]Caleb[/name] - makes me feel like I have peanut butter in my mouth when I say it.
[name]Imogen[/name] - I had never heard this name before visiting this site a month ago. It gets stuck in my head like a bad song and I just dont’ get the appeal.

I also don’t get boy names on girls. The first time I heard [name]Riley[/name] on a girl I nearly cried for her. Turns out she will fit right in with her peers

Can someone explain “[name]Freya[/name]” to me? I don’t know how it’s pronounced, but I try it all ways I can think of and I don’t understand that it gets suggested so often. It seems like a name I might like better if I could learn more about it - it’s short, and at least somewhat exotic. This doesn’t meet my usual requirements, however - I don’t know how to say it, and I don’t think I’ll like the way it sounds when I learn. I can’t remember its meaning, which has been stated a few times, but the best I can gather is people really like the meaning, and then get used to how it sounds, and then are mesmerized by the package deal.

[name]Free[/name]-ya, Fray-a, Fry-a, none of the above? I remember reading someone say they didn’t like it at first but someone told them something that made them change their mind - whoever that was, please speak up!

[name]Freya[/name] is a Scandinavian name meaning “goddess of love, fertility, and beauty.” It can also be spelled [name]Freja[/name]. The name is pronounced FRAY-uh, so you were right on one account!

I think it is definitely unusual, but I honestly kind of like the sounds of the name - strong and sturdy, but, in its own way, cute and feminine. I think when paired with something like [name]Freya[/name] [name]Brigit[/name] or [name]Freya[/name] [name]Kristine[/name], both very simple Scandinavian names, it is actually quite nice. What do you think?

This is clearly a mainly American forum! LOL!

A lot of the names that are very much disliked are VERY common in [name]England[/name]…

[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Harry[/name]

Though… I suppose my dislikes were of popular American style names! Seriously though, I love this board and all the differences, what a fantastic place to hash out the crazy task of baby naming! :slight_smile:

[name]Freya[/name] is a Scandinavian name meaning “goddess of love, fertility, and beauty.” It can also be spelled [name]Freja[/name]. The name is pronounced FRAY-uh, so you were right on one account!

I think it is definitely unusual, but I honestly kind of like the sounds of the name - strong and sturdy, but, in its own way, cute and feminine. I think when paired with something like [name]Freya[/name] [name]Brigit[/name] or [name]Freya[/name] [name]Kristine[/name], both very simple Scandinavian names, it is actually quite nice. What do you think?[/quote]

I think Fray-a was my best guess all along. It is not my taste at all, but thanks for explaining it to me. It’s not that I have really sweet tastes - I mean, I like [name]Greta[/name], which some have said is kind of harsh, and I have written basically a ton on growing used to names like [name]Eartha[/name] and [name]Ilma[/name] (I think the same person suggested both of those for discussion), if need be, neither of those are quite as awkward as they seem superficially (related in sound to names most consider “gross” like [name]Bertha[/name] or [name]Wilma[/name]).

Most of the time, I can get to a place where I can picture a girl or woman saying that [whatever] is her name and not choking on the name, or how those names sound if someone else says them - I think a lot of what we don’t like about some names is how you hear them in your head… you might say [name]Juliet[/name] and it sounds lilting and pretty, or you might say [name]Gladys[/name] like you are standing in front of a pile of trash trying not to throw up (not that the name really nauseates you, but try to like a name if it makes you wince and shape your mouth like you are trying not to hurl). [name]Gladys[/name], if you try to say it like [name]Juliet[/name], sounds a lot prettier, and you might like it better if you gave it a try! (for example). I don’t love the name [name]Gladys[/name], but I can hear it and it doesn’t sound god-awful. I can love a name on sound alone, and I think it will still sound good throughout time - I tend to like a lot of names most other nameberry posters think are dated or have negative associations, and they in turn pull up some doozies that just don’t do it for me - on sound alone.

Unfortunately, I can’t get to that place for [name]Freya[/name], it just sounds awkward to me, even if I try to get to that [name]Juliet[/name] place in my mind. There are, of course, reverse situations. It’s kind of the “Fr” sound I maybe don’t like, beside the “ya” sound which doesn’t really close it off for me. I think [name]Frieda[/name] might be a little bit better, but not great, or even [name]Farrah[/name], to be honest. I think I prefer, in basic, at least two major consonant sounds apart - like e[name]LeNa[/name], or just [name]Lena[/name] (I think lee-na or lay-na both sound ok), where [name]Leah[/name] or [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Isla[/name] might sound just less substantial than I prefer.

So if I had to pick apart just what I think is wrong with [name]Freya[/name], it might be that it just has the “Fr” and nothing to balance it off. I don’t really like [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Mia[/name] or those kind of names as much as everyone else does, either. What makes a name feel “strong” to me, I guess, is a short name, usually two syllables, with at least two isolated consonant or blended consonant sounds to ground it, like [name]Greta[/name], [name]Lena[/name], [name]Darcy[/name], [name]Trudy[/name], [name]Sandra[/name], [name]Beth[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Naomi[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], if not three, like my name, [name]Karen[/name], [name]Maris[/name], [name]Helen[/name], [name]Doris[/name], [name]Teresa[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Roxana[/name], etc. I don’t love love love all these names, but they have more to them to me than [name]Freya[/name]. I can certainly understand better that not everyone shares my taste. I also have names I really dislike that do match the “template,” while also understanding their appeal to some people, which [name]Freya[/name] always confused me. I think it’s great we don’t all fall in love with the same names. I think that would be boring if we all had the same reaction to a name, and I hardly expect anyone to love many of my favorite choices.

If you can guess, I’d definitely rather examine what makes a name good or bad to me, rather than just say I hate it. I don’t think I really hate [name]Freya[/name] - but it doesn’t agree with the patterns I am most attracted to. It is like [name]Leah[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Thea[/name], [name]Maya[/name], [name]Noa[/name], [name]Isla[/name], [name]Anna[/name], I guess most end in [name]Ah[/name] sound without a middle consonant to break it up, or final consonant to ground it, like [name]Lena[/name], [name]Maris[/name], [name]Theda[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Leila[/name], [name]Anais[/name], all sound preferable to me, doesn’t mean the first set aren’t ok names for some people, and I’m hardly in love with all the examples in the second set.

So, thanks for helping me out with [name]Freya[/name]. I guess I can no longer claim I don’t “get” it. :slight_smile:

[name]Addison[/name]/[name]Madison[/name].

There is a ‘son’ in the name - it is clearly a boys’ name. What were all those parents thinking?!

anything too cute. I cringe at all the names like:

[name]Kylie[/name]
[name]Alexa[/name], [name]Alexis[/name], [name]Lexie[/name], what have you…
[name]McKayla[/name] - any ridiculous spelling
[name]Brittany[/name]
[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Brianna[/name], [name]Bree[/name]…
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]/[name]Jada[/name]
[name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Jasmine[/name]
[name]Destiny[/name]
[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Madison[/name]/[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Neveah[/name]…what IS THAT? I mean seriously? What’s next Evol, Treah…

Boys names…
Eh, don’t have much of an opinion on most boy names… I really really don’t get the following -

[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Braxton[/name] - seriously, I’ll never get this one, [name]Braxton[/name] Hicks contractions anyone? lol.
[name]Ashton[/name]
[name]Jaden[/name], [name]Caden[/name], [name]Braden[/name], etc.

There are a few perfectly reasonable names that I just don’t like, for no reason I can think of:
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]

[name]Luke[/name], [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]

I don’t understand why people give their children names that will only really last them until they are 10 years old - I mean I don’t actively dislike names like [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Daisy[/name] and [name]Alfie[/name] but they just don’t seem like names for adults to me.

[name]Violet[/name]- violent
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Jaden[/name]/[name]Jayden[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name], [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] for girls
[name]Finnigan[/name], [name]Fineas[/name], [name]Finnian[/name]
These are not necessarily popular, but I’m surprised ppl. are using them at all.
[name]Imogen[/name]- ugh
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]