Popularity of Audrey?

We are thinking of naming our baby girl [name]Audrey[/name], however the popularity is worrisome. It looks as if in 2008 she was ranked #44, after steadily increasing over the last 5 years. I realize this statistic doesn’t make [name]Audrey[/name] wildley popular, but we are afraid that it might continue to rise into the top 20, in which case we would no longer want that for her name. [name]Do[/name] you all see her as becoming an overused name? Thoughts please!!

yes, definitely.

I’m afraid that I’ve thought of [name]Audrey[/name] as a rather popular name for quite some time now. Perhaps it is just random chance that I know quite a few [name]Audrey[/name]'s of different ages.

However, I love the name [name]Audrey[/name]. It feels so strong to me & has wonderful associations. I think of [name]Audrey[/name] Hepburn and the anthropologist, [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Richards[/name].

I love [name]Audrey[/name]!
In my opinion, even if [name]Audrey[/name] is popular, it still isn’t “trendy” - meaning it won’t sound as if she were named after some celebrity’s child or be the kind of name where as soon as someone reads it, they immediately know how old she is. In that way, the popularity of [name]Audrey[/name] wouldn’t necessarily bother me so much if I loved the name. Of course, if it rises in even further in popularity, there’s still the concern that she won’t feel unique or special or that she will be one of several in her school or circle of friends.
Have you considered [name]Audra[/name] or [name]Adele[/name]?

I’m actually surprised by its ranking because I don’t hear it much on the playground or at school. I also know several [name]Audrey[/name]'s of very different ages – from 60’s to 30’s to teens to a preschooler. If you have friends with kids in daycare or pre-school, you might ask them if they’ve seen this name much, or what names they are seeing. Its certainly not as popular as [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Ruby[/name] – these are the names I hear over and over, from babies to 6 or 7 year olds. Of course, I understand your concern is that its time in that category is coming . . . I kind of doubt it reaches those heights in the near future, but one never knows! (I have a [name]Henry[/name] and while the name was not in top 100 when we chose it, its everywhere in our circles – while [name]Jacob[/name] is #1, and we hardly know any - how is one to know what will be popular in the same social/school circle?) Good luck!

I think it is trending upwards in the same way that say, [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] are. I do not think it has peaked in popularity, so I think it will continue to become more rather than less common.

I do think [name]Audrey[/name] could be in danger of being overused soon enough. Which is quite unfortunate because I think it’s a beautiful name.
But, because of my love for this name but hating the popularity, I sought out other alternatives.

I discovered the names [name]Auden[/name] and [name]Audra[/name], which are both not currently ranked in the top 1000, but are both gorgeous and unique.
Personally, I love [name]Audra[/name]. It is my favorite name at the moment, and it’s beautiful too. It’s a really good alternative to [name]Audrey[/name], and I don’t see it rising in popularity anytime soon.

I agree it’s on the rise but it won’t sound trendy. If you haven’t already, you can check out the per state statistics on SS–maybe it’s not as popular in your area?

Thank you everyone. You more or less confirmed what I feared. She is such a beaut, it makes me sad to see her uniqueness dwindle. Thank you for the suggestion of [name]Audra[/name]. I adore the name as well, but my husband will not go for it.

What about the name [name]Carys[/name]?

I absolutely love [name]Carys[/name]! I thought I’d also suggest [name]Adriana[/name] for [name]Audrey[/name]…

Good luck! :slight_smile: