Pre-Parent Checklist

All I had was (1) finish degree (2) find the right donor and (3) boudoir photo shoot :laughing: I probably should have set more goalsā€¦ Especially financial goals :grimacing: [name_f]My[/name_f] parents have a life insurance policy on me and we increased it, so that was goodā€¦ I only set aside what I anticipated needing in order to conceive :woman_shrugging:t2:

Once my mind was made up, I felt like I had waited long enogh and didnā€™t want to wait anymore (still gave birth pretty young, 2 months shy of turning 30).

3 Likes

Sorry, I forgot one, after reading the other responsesā€¦ (4) lose some weight. I was able to lose 40lbs, which was good because I gained 50lbs in my pregnancy :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

edited for privacy

8 Likes

Iā€™m only slightly farther along this journey than you are, so I canā€™t take this from a ā€œthings I wished I had knownā€ point. Instead, some things on our current list:

• Getting your adult life in order. And I donā€™t mean filling a savings account and having all the insurances, but knowing how you would access the money in that account, what insurances you currently have, what they do, and where to find the :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: paperwork for it all.
  • Mental health. Work through your own childhood and upbringing. If possible, with a therapist.
  • Making some friends in this town, preferably with children of the same age.
  • Physical health, especially getting a doctorā€™s opinion on what my diet should look like while pregnant
5 Likes

@GreenEyes375 thank you so much!! thereā€™s so much amazing advice here, I couldnā€™t even begin to quote my favorite pieces!

@Wandarine omg, paperwork. yeah. ā€œlearn how to open a savings accountā€ has to go above ā€œopening a savings accountā€ on my listā€¦

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] only thing on my pre-kid list was ā€œMarrying the right guy.ā€ And that happened. A tad later then I expected it to, 29 with our first being born at 30. But in the years since Iā€™ve seen friends of mine find their spouses and have kids a lot later then I got married and had kids. I was 37 when Iā€™ve had my most recent and have people I went to school with announcing pregnancies even since so believe me you have time.

I knew I wanted to be a stay at home mom before even meeting my hubby so things like education, and other financial related things werenā€™t of a concern. And my Mr. Right knew before we met he wanted to be able to support his wife to be able to stay home so he went into creating his life goals that helped him to be able to cover us financially.

I heard a message at my church just this week where the preacher said that one thing as a parent now he really appreciates was the time his own parents spent getting him to memorize scripture because the little tid bits of the Word have really ā€œcome to his rescueā€ so to speak in his own times of need and to pass onto his children. So if I had to maybe add anything on my list, I kind of wish I was more versed on verses I could use to teach my kids in the moments that could help them and help me to parent them. But trying to start that now

4 Likes

I like this ideaā€”making a checklist. Iā€™m so eager to be a mother, but I am also so anxious that Iā€™ll never get the chance (somehow). A checklist and a single-parent-by-choice route are both totally appealing to me to think about.

Thinking about my checklist, Iā€™d say these things are important to me:

1. Graduate with my BA. (Second step: Potentially will be going back for an educatorā€™s masterā€™s, so graduate with my MA goal lingering.)

2. Work, perhaps full-time; ideally part-time. Part-time work, however, would likely rely on a partnerā€™s income to raise a child, too. Especially since I do not want a nanny nor foresee myself being able to pay for one where Iā€™d likely live.

3. Move out of my parentsā€™ houseā€”and live without roommates. (Ideally, this is a housing goal for me anyway, but definitely before Iā€™m a parent!)

4. Build up savings. (Justā€¦ all that I possibly can. This is pretty much a constant goal, lol.)

5. Get a new car. (My 2012 Mini-Cooper will not live to see the day I bring a baby home from the hospital!)

6. Establishā€”or begin to establish?ā€”my insurance plans for medical, home, and auto. (Ugh.)

Those are ideal. Iā€™m not sure, exactly, when I can see myself having my first. Iā€™m 20 now, and I suppose Iā€™d like to have my first before Iā€™mā€¦ 28? 30, certainly, if I could chooseā€”and I can, I suppose. Weā€™ll see what happens, tooā€”maybe Iā€™ll be surprised! Either way, I pray that a snowmaiden birth announcement is in the cards within this next decade. :blush:

2 Likes

@Alix2016 those are interesting goals :slightly_smiling_face:

my feeling is that I have my entire life to find the right person to be my spouse; I donā€™t have my entire life to have babies, at least not biologically. itā€™s truly amazing that science and healthcare has grown in the way it has, and people are having babies later in life, but itā€™s also harder on the body as someone gets older. just as well, I donā€™t want to wait until I might be too old to keep up with my child.

ive actually done a lot of looking into how I want to help my kids work through tough situations and problems. mental health will be just as important as physical health. im an atheist, recovering from my religious upbringing, but much more important to me is that I teach my children how to think, not what to think. I want them to be skeptical, and I hope that helps them in times of difficulty or confusion :blush:

aah how exciting it will be to see a snowmaiden birth announcement! maybe weā€™ll be lucky enough to see each other in a babies due ā€¦ thread!

im totally with you on the housing situation. my next step is to move in with my best friend in a roommate situation but I think weā€™ll both want our own spaces by the time im having kids. I imagine two sides of a shared townhome? :grin: or maybe down the street because while sheā€™s excited to be my kidsā€™ auntie, she definitely doesnā€™t want any kids of her own lol

1 Like

I used to consider being smbc as well, because years ago I also didnā€™t have much luck with dating. The problem is in my country, itā€™s technically impossible to adopt or try ivf as a single parent. The other obvious, natural choice is even less ideal. Moreover, I wasnā€™t in a financial position to raise a kid anyway. Ended up postponing and postponing this ā€œplanā€ until eventually canceled it. I met my now partner shortly after my 29th birthday.

Current checklist:

• First and foremost, actually live together (now in an annoyingly long distance, which effectively postpones my TTC plan).
  • Be healthier (unfortunately have a health issue, which puts pregnancy at high risk)
  • Find a bigger house and neighborhood we want to raise kids in
  • Explore places around, adapt and hopefully make some new friends (as I would be the one moving to him)
  • If possible, find a new career. I was given free choice to be sahm or work, but itā€™s nice to at least figure out the right path.

One former goal is to get a masterā€™s first. Now I donā€™t know when/if Iā€™ll actually go for one, but if I do Iā€™d just have to figure out how to balance it with motherhood. Donā€™t want to wait longer than necessary.

1 Like

So I had a plan for my life with a wonderful checklist and then life had other plans for me an it took me 15 months to conceive and then I had spontaneous twins including one with some medical conditions. So my first piece of advice is be flexible. 2029 is pretty far away and a lot of life can happen in 6 years.

Things I had on my list or wish I did before kiddos.

Marriage -

Stable job- I have a bachelorā€™s in biology with a pre-vet/med track and my job is in food science, absolutely nothing I thought I would be doing when I graduated.

House and car- in my early twenties I had this [name_m]Nissan[/name_m] Sentra that would leave me on the side of the road all the time. I wouldnt want to do this with kids.

Financial stable- this was never set a set amount but just comfortable. Making sure our bills arenā€™t more than our income. This includes a mortgage and car payment we could afford. I know a lot of people who are house broke and car broke because they pay 1200 a month in car payments plus a 1800 mortgage.

I also wish we could of traveled more before my kids were born. Covid hit and kind of hindered that idea. Itā€™s also a lot to travel with twin toddlers including one with epilepsy so we have that ok the backburner until they are a older.

1 Like

Iā€™m 28 & currently pregnant with baby #1.

The most important thing to me was getting married, which I did at 25. After we got married, I really wanted to finish grad school before having a baby. We did start TTC while I was still in school, once weā€™d passed the point that I would at least graduate before the due date. That wasnā€™t the original plan, but COVID pushed my graduation back a year & we didnā€™t want to wait any longer to TTC. We started trying in September, I got pregnant in April, & I graduated in June.

Things like job & location are important, but for us much of that has settled for the better while Iā€™ve been pregnant. My husband just started a new career thatā€™ll be much more stable & the job switch allowed us to move closer to family. And now weā€™re in a more affordable city, so we can rent a 2bd apartment which is so much better than our old place. I suppose itā€™s a bit different when going the IVF route (because of medical whatnot, the cost of it, etc.), but generally Iā€™d say donā€™t feel like you have to have everything perfect before TTC.

Summary

When I was 24, I found out that I have the BRCA2 mutation so I have a very high chance of getting breast cancer & that risk would really kick in once I turned 30.

So in the appointment, the doctor asked me if I wanted kids. I said yes & heā€™s like ā€œGreat, donā€™t let this diagnosis stop you from having kids if you want to. But what you need to realize is that, if you do get breast cancer in your 30s, you will most likely survive it but you will almost certainly lose your fertility due to the chemotherapy & radiation that you would need to survive the cancer. So, if having kids is really important to you, then you need to start having kids before you turn 30.ā€

And Iā€™m like ā€œWell, Iā€™m not married yet. I donā€™t even have a boyfriend, soā€¦ā€

The doctor says ā€œof course, Iā€™m not telling you to go out & be foolish. Thereā€™s things in your life that will have to be in place first. But you have to understand - if having kids is truly important to you, then you absolutely must start trying to conceive during your 20s. It has to be the priority. You donā€™t have the luxury of waiting until youā€™re 35, or even 32, because thereā€™s a good chance you might be infertile by then. So whatever needs to happen in terms of dating or marriage before you can have kids, thatā€™s something that needs to happen sooner rather than later.ā€

So anyway, I was 24 then. I really didnā€™t know anyone I was interested in dating & I didnā€™t think Iā€™d really meet anyone for a while just because of where I was in life then. I started thinking that maybe Iā€™d never get to have kids. Well, a couple months later, my cousin set me up on a date, literally my first date in over 2 years at that point, and it worked :smiling_face: we dated a year before getting engaged & then got married 4 months later.

Anyway, it just kinda struck me how youā€™re 24 & figuring youā€™ll be a smbc because it made me think back to me being 24 thinking Iā€™d never be able to have kids because I didnā€™t think Iā€™d get married before 30. Now Iā€™m 28, married, & pregnant! Things can change so quickly :smiling_face:

And also, most of the checklist goes out the window when itā€™s really a matter of ā€œnow or maybe neverā€. Otherwise, I wouldā€™ve wanted to be more established in my career before TTC, have more savings, bought a house, etc. But none of those things are as important as being able to have children while I still can.

5 Likes

29, TTC, not going to have a baby before 30 by this stage, but hopefully before Iā€™m 31.

[name_f]My[/name_f] goals were:

• Finish my degrees (I have a PhD, I could not have added a baby to that!)
  • Be in a stable long term relationship, ideally married. I donā€™t think Iā€™d have insisted on marriage first if weā€™d gotten pregnant before that point. As it is, we did get married first, but marriage wasnā€™t a requirement.
  • Have our own home with enough space for a child, ideally more than one.
  • Have gone one some trips where doing them with a child/whilst pregnant would have reduced what I could do e.g. we went to Japan for our (delayed) honeymoon and I wanted to not be pregnant for that because I wanted to go in the hot springs, try the alcohol, and try some of the raw food. There arenā€™t many destinations where it would have mattered, but if youā€™ve got one like that, Iā€™d recommend trying to get it done first.
  • Having a job I liked and ideally one that was a permanent contract. For this one itā€™s tricky because I do have a job I like but itā€™s not a permanent contract. I guess the main desire is to have financial stability, which thankfully we do have even though my employment situation isnā€™t exactly what Iā€™d have hoped.
  • Being healthy - another one that is relatively low down the list (thankfully!) I eat well and have decent habits, but could stand to exercise a little more. Itā€™s on the list, but Iā€™m not experiencing health problems because of my activity levels so itā€™s not currently a top priority.
5 Likes

a bit of an updateā€¦ not sure if itā€™s necessary but for anyone who is interested

(also an excuse to respond to some of the people I didnā€™t get to a month agoā€”apologies!)

my friend has decided to postpone getting her masterā€™s so our plans are hopefully moving up a year! at this point, we have a handful of potential places weā€™d like to live, and plans to visit as many of these places as possible over the summer, with the intention of moving sometime in fall 2024. im really excited for this because it almost feels like my adult life can start once we move away? since itā€™s not possible for me to stay and raise a family where I currently live, itā€™s difficult to think about meeting people and dating because I know thereā€™s always going to be that ticking clock of when I move away (far away), and I wouldnā€™t go into a relationship with the assumption that this person would move with me (or that this relationship would end in a year). also, hoping that where weā€™re moving will have better, safer LGBT policies :crossed_fingers:t2:

@Sadie307 congrats on your pregnancy! I totally feel the pressure to have a baby before 30 (since thatā€™s whatā€™s kinda expected by older generations in my family), but I canā€™t imagine it being a physical, biological need.
I sincerely doubt that Iā€™ll meet The One as you did while im 24 :sweat_smile: sort of hoping I wonā€™t, since Iā€™ll soon be moving anyway

@Maerad ive been thinking a lot about the traveling thing! most of the lists ive found include big partying cities, which wonā€™t be a problem for me because ive never been one for clubbing.

5 Likes

Deleted for privacy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Reasonable! I think my thoughts were mostly pregnancy related rather than with a child, and thatā€™s more about timing than the place itself!

Iā€™d quite like to take my children to Japan when theyā€™re big enough, but I would have hated being there whilst pregnant.

2 Likes