Precipitous labor?

Does anyone here have experience with precipitous labor? [name_f]My[/name_f] last labor was a precipitous labor (it was a wonderful experience! [name_m]Just[/name_m] very fast) however now that we’re starting to think about #3 and we will likely be moving, which means less family support and possibly farther away from the hospital. Im wondering if this is something I should be prepared for. In your experience did your labors continue to be fast or was it just one? I’m finding mixed information about this when I research it.

I also will most definitely be talking to my Dr about this when we get pregnant, but I find real world/ real mom advice to be extremely helpful

[name_f]My[/name_f] third birth was only two hours of active labor and when I was pregnant with my fourth, my doctor and I discussed the likelihood that it would be just as fast, if not even quicker. I wound up being induced with my last baby due to GD and throughout it I had a rotating door of nurses as everyone expected active labor to be imminent–it wasn’t. I was put on pitocin after five hours of mild cramping and only then did things get rolling. Active labor this time was 1 hour and 45 minutes–so although it took longer to get started, once it did it was still shorter than the previous time. I was also in labor with the third baby when I went to hospital vs. being induced with the fourth which is probably why it took longer for me to get to active labor. The nurse wound up delivering the baby as the doctor couldn’t make it in time, but when he came strolling in in time to deliver the placenta, he smugly said “I told you once she started to go, it would be a quick one!” and he wasn’t wrong!

[name_f]Every[/name_f] experience is different, but I would prepare for this in case it is just as fast (or faster) for you. I was on my own with no support person with the last two babies (and no car, just taxis) so I had a lot of anxiety about the prospects of not making it to the hospital or something equally terrifying. In the end it all was fine and the nurse who delivered baby was calm and lovely. Wishing you all the best!

1 Like

My labours got much quicker each time until #3, who arrived literally as we walked crawled through the hospital doors. So I was fully expecting a mad dash and possible roadside delivery fourth time around.

But although it was quick towards the end, it was actually slower than #3 overall by several hours and we made it to hospital with almost an hour to spare (we live 30 mins from the nearest hospital so it’s always a bit of a guessing game!)

I would echo this. No need to stress yourself out about the possibility, but you’re at an advantage in knowing that this is something that is not unlikely for you.

I did talk to my midwife about it and she advised going to hospital as soon as labour got properly started, and advising the staff there of the likelihood of a fast delivery.

In the end we didn’t go straight there as I felt that things were progressing more steadily, but I did tell the midwife team there about it and they took it into consideration when deciding what to do with me when we arrived.

Best of luck! :green_heart:

1 Like

Thank you both! That’s kind of what I was thinking.