Preemie mamas

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], have any of you mamas had a premature baby and then gone on to have successful full term pregnancies?

I had a 33 weeker who is now 14 months old. He had IUGR and weighed 3lb 10oz at birth but dropped to 2lb 10oz a week later. 3 week neonatal stay as well. It was a very high risk pregnancy with a high risk of stillbirth due to reversed cord flow from the placenta (which had pretty much died by the time I had my emcs) and he was born with respiratory distress syndrome and metabolic bone disease.

[name_f]My[/name_f] son is completely fine, happy and healthy now, with no lasting issues that I am aware of. I don’t want to stop at 1 baby, but the thought of going through all of that again terrifies me!

Looking for some hopeful stories, thank you :sparkles:

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] first was born at 34 weeks and we were also in the NICU for 3 weeks. She’s totally fine now !

[name_f]My[/name_f] second was born at 36 weeks and was in the NICU for one week. I’m having my third in [name_u]September[/name_u] so we’ll see !

It’s definitely a touch decision to make. Maybe you could meet with your OB to talk about chances of having another preemie ? That might help!

1 Like

Thank you! I wonder if it’s an issue with me being able to carry a pregnancy or if it was just bad luck, my placenta was sent for testing but I had no results given back. I’m in the UK and I don’t even know how to contact anyone like that! :sweat_smile: A baby isn’t on the cards for a few years yet though.

37 weeks isn’t prem and what I am aiming for if I have another! I’d love to get to 37. :sweat_smile: Hoping I’ll go from prem birth to full term birth like this!

Not me personally, but my sister in law was born extremely early (at 25-27 weeks something like that) her mom went on to have 2 healthy term babies. But I don’t know the circumstances that caused her premature birth.

1 Like

Nicu RN here! I love hearing how well your son is doing! What a strong lil boy, I know you are proud of him and all that he has overcome.

I would expect you to be monitored closely throughout your (next) pregnancy, but only because there is a hx of premature labor and abnormalities in utero. However, that would not mean that there is a significantly higher chance of this happening in the second pregnancy. It just means, the chance is unknown, so they will monitor closely. Personally, I would speak with your obstetrician prior to becoming pregnant again, have him/her look very closely into past pregnancy, have lab work completed, sonograms done, just to be certain your body is at it’s very best to carry full term.

1 Like

Thank you! This is really reassuring. I don’t want to get pregnant without fully knowing the risks so I’ll have to look into this. And my son has done exceedingly well, he got discharged from his consultant when he was 8 months old and has flourished! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like