Preliminary Girls List - Poll and Thoughts?

See the results of this poll: Which name do you prefer? You may select one or two.

Respondents: 67 (This poll is closed)

• Charlie Louise Johnson: 3 (4%)
  • Clara Louise Johnson: 37 (55%)
  • Kaia Louise Johnson: 13 (19%)
  • Svenja Louise Johnson: 4 (6%)
  • Auden Louise Johnson: 10 (15%)

I voted for [name]Auden[/name] or [name]Clara[/name]! clara was my favourite though…

Svenja sounds strange to me, [name]Kaia[/name] reminds me too much of [name]Kayla[/name], [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Kaylee[/name] which completely puts me off it… [name]Gaia[/name] would be awesome though! [name]Charlie[/name] sounds too insubstantial next to [name]Thor[/name] (which I know you have in mind for a boy)
Are you interested in some more Norse alternatives for a girl as well?
I have a loooooong list of Norse girls names that would all sound lovely in English which I can post if you’re interested!
A few I can easily see with [name]Thor[/name]:
[name]Eira[/name]
[name]Alva[/name]
[name]Audny[/name] (almost like [name]Auden[/name])
[name]Idun[/name]
[name]Elida[/name]
[name]Frida[/name]
[name]Liva[/name]
[name]Olea[/name]
Runa
[name]Siri[/name]
Vivil
Ylva

All my best! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Clara[/name]! [name]Kaia[/name] is pretty but reminds me of [name]Kayla[/name], a name I am not partial to. [name]Charlie[/name] feels very masculine to me. I love [name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] for a boy. [name]Charlotte[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] is cute too. Svenja isn’t me favorite. I like [name]Anja[/name] and [name]Annika[/name] though. I like [name]Auden[/name] a fair amount but I much prefer [name]Audrey[/name]. I think [name]Clara[/name] has the most spunk beside [name]Thor[/name] (that’s the boy name you’re considering right?) Some other names I think go well with [name]Thor[/name] are:

[name]Ariana[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]/[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Anja[/name]/[name]Annika[/name] (mentioned above)
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]/[name]Cecelia[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]/[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]/[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name]/[name]Nell[/name]/[name]Nellie[/name]/[name]Penny[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Lucrezia[/name]/[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Isobel[/name]/[name]Isadora[/name]/[name]Isaline[/name]

Good luck :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I voted for [name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]. :slight_smile: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Clara[/name]! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Charlie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Charlotte[/name], but I guess it feels incomplete to me on its own. I can totally appreciate [name]Auden[/name], but [name]Auden[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] dosn’t sound the best to me, because both names end in the same “en” sound and have the same vowel sound up front.

Some more names like [name]Clara[/name]:

[name]Celia[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Diana[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] (instead of [name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name]…)
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] (or even [name]Viveca[/name] [name]Louise[/name], which I can easily see with [name]Thor[/name])
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] (I think you like [name]Andrew[/name]…)

I love the flow of the longer first names, because they save every name from having two syllables. (I do think [name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] sounds great, though!)

Names that don’t work with with [name]Louise[/name] (in case you go with a different middle):

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Annelise[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] (then again, I think [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Louise[/name] works…You could call her [name]Cora[/name]…)
[name]Eliza[/name]
Genvevieve
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (Oops…I can see this with [name]Louise[/name], too…) :slight_smile:
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Names like [name]Auden[/name]:

[name]Bellamy[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Blakely[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Emery[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Flannery[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Willoughby[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I’m going to add [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Ellery[/name] to my list. Although I feel like I’m seeing [name]Isla[/name] a lot on nameberry. Is it getting too popular/hip?

Looks like [name]Charlie[/name], Svenja, and [name]Kaia[/name] or on the outs. Thanks guys!

[name]Isla[/name] is #623 now, but from what I’ve read on Nameberry, it’s apparently destined for massive popularity. It will be interesting to see where it ranks when the new list comes out in [name]May[/name]. I think [name]Isla[/name] is gorgeous, though! I think that [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] sounds great, too!
:slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is absolutely breathtaking! The other names on your list can not even begin to compete.

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Kaia[/name]!!!
[name]Charlie[/name] would be my 2nd choice!

Great names :slight_smile:

I know [name]Clara[/name] got the pick of this round, but just as food for thought, have you considered spelling [name]Kaia[/name] the Scandinavian way?: Kyja
It’s my cousin’s name and I’ve always thought it was gorgeous!

P.S. I assume you are pronouncing it [name]KAI[/name](rhymes with “eye”)-ah and not [name]KAY[/name]-ah.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard or read about anyone who spells it like that, especially not in Scandinavia since the pronunciation would change drastically! It would sound more like KEE-uh than anything else said in Norway, [name]Sweden[/name], Denmark or Iceland, although I can’t speak for Finland… [name]Kaja[/name] with a J is the most common spelling in Norway. I don’t know about [name]Sweden[/name] and Denmark, although I would guess [name]Kaja[/name] to have the majority there as well…
(unless Kyja was a spelling mistake in which case I’m very sorry!!)

I live on the South coast in the uk and I personally know three Islas aged one year! [name]Add[/name] to that the ones I hear (almost weekly!) being called by their parents as they toddle off, thats a whole lot of Islas out there!! So my advice on [name]Isla[/name] is, it will probably be unusual when you first use it and maybe a year or two and then there will be masses of them, so if you can cope with that go ahead. For a future ‘stand out’ name, I personally wouldn’t use [name]Isla[/name] but stick with [name]Clara[/name] instead - its glorious.

I live on the South coast in the uk and I personally know three Islas aged one year! [name]Add[/name] to that the ones I hear (almost weekly!) being called by their parents as they toddle off, thats a whole lot of Islas out there!! So my advice on [name]Isla[/name] is, it will probably be unusual when you first use it and maybe a year or two and then there will be masses of them, so if you can cope with that go ahead. For a future ‘stand out’ name, I personally wouldn’t use [name]Isla[/name] but stick with [name]Clara[/name] instead - its glorious.[/quote]

While I’m not sure [name]Isla[/name] will make the top 100 US baby names anytime soon, I do worry that it’s popularity overseas will make it too “hip” here. It’s also close sounding to the [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Eva[/name] names that are top 10. Ya’ll certainly like [name]Clara[/name], and I’m thinking [name]Ellery[/name] is very much our style. If [name]Isla[/name] wins my other poll I might have to overrule. A [name]Clara[/name]/[name]Ellery[/name] showdown may be forthcoming.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard or read about anyone who spells it like that, especially not in Scandinavia since the pronunciation would change drastically! It would sound more like KEE-uh than anything else said in Norway, [name]Sweden[/name], Denmark or Iceland, although I can’t speak for Finland… [name]Kaja[/name] with a J is the most common spelling in Norway. I don’t know about [name]Sweden[/name] and Denmark, although I would guess [name]Kaja[/name] to have the majority there as well…
(unless Kyja was a spelling mistake in which case I’m very sorry!!)[/quote]

We started with the [name]Kaja[/name] spelling. My wife preferred the [name]Kaya[/name] spelling. We compromised on the [name]Kaia[/name] spelling. This is the first time I’ve seen the Kyja spelling. Not crazy about it.

dearest -
I personally would [name]LOVE[/name] to see your Norse girl’s name list. [name]Do[/name] you think that you could post it to my “[name]Favorite[/name] Scandinavian Names?” thread? I would also love to see a boy’s name list too. Norse/Scandinanavian name suggestions are not that easy to come by in my neck of the woods. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

[name]Kaia[/name]!!