Priscilla

My thoughts have changed about this name a bit over the years–when I was young I thought it sounded dated, and the “prissy” association was unpleasant, but it was still classic, as there are so many historical and literary Priscillas (it’s even biblical). Now that I’m hearing more old-fashioned names being resurrected, I think [name]Priscilla[/name] could easily hold her own among them. I also have a great friend with this name, and while many of my classmates’ names have started to sound somewhat dated (80’s names), hers is aging well, and has that appealing three-syllable, l’s and vowels sound that I like, and seems unlikely to become trendy. “[name]Cilla[/name]” is a better nickname than [name]Prissy[/name], too. I’m not having kids yet, and there are tons of names I like, but I’m just wondering what all of you think of [name]Priscilla[/name]? Can we bring this name back? I see it as a trustworthy, intellectual sort of name, and a little old-fashioned–what are your associations? Should it wait another generation?

I think this fits in with names like [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Marion[/name], and [name]Vivian[/name]: just on the verge of coming back, if they haven’t already like (like [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name]). My problem with [name]Priscilla[/name] isn’t its style, because I love old-fashioned names. I just dislike how it sounds – the “s” in the middle makes it sound hissy to me, and the “pr” and the fluffy ending are just to, well, prissy, which I’m sure isn’t helped much by the actual “pris” at the beginning. That said, if I met a little girl named [name]Priscilla[/name], I’d be tremendously excited, and the name would probably grow on me. It just doesn’t have the right sound for me to use personally.

“[name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Marion[/name], and [name]Vivian[/name]”

Exactly–those are just the sort of names that make me think it could come back. [name]Vivian[/name] is my favorite out of this group of names, including [name]Priscilla[/name]. I can see the hissing potential, yeah. To me it’s not far off from the sound of [name]Melissa[/name] and its myriad rhyming names; it sounds a little familiar in that sense…

I third what the others have said. [name]Priscilla[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] have always gone hand-in-hand for me, and I totally see them both coming back into style. I also like the nickname [name]Rilla[/name].

Good call! I have no doubt that there will be a few little Priscillas showing up here and there. I also love the nn [name]Rilla[/name] (love it even more for [name]Marilla[/name]”I’ve always been an [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables fan!).

I’m an [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables fan, too! [name]Rilla[/name] is charming, and that reminds me–the name of the day is [name]Una[/name], which is a character in a couple of the later [name]Anne[/name] books, which I always found appealing.

Yay! Fellow [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables fans! Woo-hoo! :slight_smile:

There is a wealth of names in L.M. [name]Montgomery[/name]'s books–maybe I’ll make a list if there isn’t one already…

I named my daughter [name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Ann[/name], she is now 3. I have to admit, everyone i encounter and tell her name to, LOVES it. Its completely uncommon, and a very old out-dated name almost, but on a little girl there is nothing cuter or prettier.
My husband came up with the name once she was born and we held her…she was a [name]Priscilla[/name]…no doubt about it. And still is! Men love the name btw…

hope this helps! :slight_smile: ~[name]Victoria[/name]