Problems with Violaine

A lot of [name_f]French[/name_f] friends told me [name_f]Violaine[/name_f] sounds like viol+haine (r*pe + hate, especially because the H is silent in French) and same responses were given in a [name_f]French[/name_f] speaking name forum. Now, I am not from a [name_f]French[/name_f] speaking country and I don’t speak [name_f]French[/name_f] so I did not know this but this still somehow bothers me. Any names that sounds like [name_f]Violaine[/name_f]? I liked this name and I always associated it more with violin and violets. The Italian form of [name_f]Violaine[/name_f] is [name_f]Violante[/name_f] (I am from Italy) but I don’t like the sound of this name.

Oh no, those are strong associations to discover in a name! [name_f]Violaine[/name_f] is so beautiful, coming from my non-French perspective, but I totally understand that this type of knowledge makes a name less appealing and feel much less wearable, even when the issue is context-specific.

Names with some similarity to [name_f]Violaine[/name_f]:

[name_f]Sylvaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrienne[/name_f], [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elvire[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjolaine[/name_f] (I love this one, the name page here is a bit different to other etymologies, which hold that [name_f]Marjolaine[/name_f] is [name_f]French[/name_f] with PN mar-zhaw-lehn. I also like the [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] [name_f]Marjolein[/name_f], again elsewhere the given PN is Mar-yo-layn and I’m so sorry if these for-English pronunciations are horrible for someone with [name_f]English[/name_f] as an additional language :heart: )
Flavienne
[name_f]Ludivine[/name_f]
Maryvonne
[name_f]Séverine[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylviane[/name_f]
[name_f]Germaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ghislaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Romaine[/name_f]
Tiphaine

1 Like

I like [name_f]Ludivine[/name_f], [name_f]Marjolaine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elvire[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Igraine[/name_f]
[name_f]Morgaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Jourdaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mélaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Montaine[/name_f]
Ségolène / Ségolaine
Toussaine
Ysmaine
Marilène
Sélène
Solène
Vérène

That’s too bad! I’ll admit, I do see the similarity to “violate” in [name_f]English[/name_f] as well with the name, although I know it’s not pronounced vye-oh-lane, that’s still how I read it in my head :sweat_smile: I don’t speak [name_f]French[/name_f], but would a different spelling like Violène distance it from the unfortunate words?

Other names that you may like…
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] / [name_f]Violette[/name_f] / [name_f]Violeta[/name_f] / [name_f]Viorica[/name_f] (although unfortunately [name_f]Viola[/name_f] in Spanish means the same as the first part of [name_f]Violaine[/name_f] does in French)
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] / [name_f]Viviane[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Madelaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Yolande[/name_f] / [name_f]Yolanda[/name_f] / [name_f]Jolanda[/name_f] / [name_f]Iolanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Yolaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Valeraine[/name_f]
Valériane
[name_f]Victoire[/name_f] / Victorène
[name_f]Yveline[/name_f] / Yvelise
[name_f]Evolet[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronique[/name_f]
Évodie
[name_f]Hélène[/name_f]
Vespérine
Marilène
Verlaine
[name_f]Geneviève[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavienne[/name_f] / [name_f]Octavie[/name_f]
Roselaine

1 Like

I’m French and while it’s true that it kinda sounds like these two words together:

• The O would be closed in Violaine while it’s an open o in viol, and h is silent but there’s still a slight glottal stop so it’s not totally the same sounds
  • Viol originates from violence while Violaine means purple (violet), the etymology is completely different, and the suffix -ène or -aine is too common to make people think of haine (hatred)
  • It’s a perfectly fine name and it is not the most common but still well established in France, although it peaked in the early 80s so you won’t find a lot of baby Violaines right now.

Nobody will ever think Solène is sol (ground)+haine (hatred)
Nobody will think Mylène is mille (thousand)+haine (hatred)
Nobody will spontaneously think of viol+haine when hearing Violaine. They might if they’re looking to actively find a fault in a baby name, very little chance otherwise.

3 Likes

Could do Violenne, as it is the first thing that came to mind. Violet/Violette, [name_f]Violette[/name_f], Violena/Violenna also!

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] or Violanna maybe?

Oooh yeah I would not use this name… I had no idea about the [name_f]French[/name_f] connection and issues, but the way I read it sounds really similar to Violate, which is really close to that bad meaning in french… so it would be a major no go from me.

1 Like

[name_f]Violaine[/name_f] is really lovely, objectively! I do get hung up on the association with violar/violer. For some reason, I don’t get the same associations with [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Violetta[/name_f], or Viola… but [name_f]Violaine[/name_f] or [name_f]Violante[/name_f] I do get some not so great associations with? I couldn’t tell you why I do for some and not for others.

[name_f]Violaine[/name_f] does remind me a lot of [name_f]Viola[/name_f] though; I don’t know if she or [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] feel like an acceptable replacement? Something like [name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Yvaine[/name_f] feels a lot like [name_f]Violaine[/name_f] to me! [name_m]Or[/name_m] maybe [name_f]Violanthe[/name_f] or [name_f]Vionnet[/name_f]? Good luck!

I agree with [name_f]Viola[/name_f] or [name_f]Violetta[/name_f]. Other music name ideas:

[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_m]Aubade[/name_m]
[name_f]Cantrelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarion[/name_f]
[name_f]Bria[/name_f]
[name_f]Chantelle[/name_f]

I can understand why that bothers you :frowning:

Names with a similar sound:

Violandra
[name_f]Igraine[/name_f]
[name_f]Romaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Charmaine[/name_f]
[name_m]Toussaint[/name_m]
Elraine
Dovaine
Idelaine
Norvaine

[name_f]Violaine[/name_f] does have a pretty sound! So sad about the associations! I actually misread it as violence at first. :pensive:

Other’s have already given all the [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvaine[/name_f] suggestions. Perhaps a combo…

Something like

Viola-Dienne; [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Hélène[/name_f]?
Viola-Hélène could have [name_f]Violaine[/name_f] as a nn. :blush:

The [name_f]French[/name_f] pronunciation of [name_f]Hélène[/name_f] is perhaps the most similar to [name_f]Violaine[/name_f] in [name_f]French[/name_f].

[name_f]Violaine[/name_f] is a very pretty name but gosh that is a hard association to ignore or let pass

Would [name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Laine[/name_f] be a better option to use? [name_m]Or[/name_m] what about [name_f]Violeine[/name_f]?

There’s a lot of great suggestions on here so a few other V names you may like

[name_f]Venetia[/name_f]
[name_f]Vicenza[/name_f] / [name_f]Vicenzia[/name_f] / [name_f]Vicensa[/name_f]
[name_f]Vidalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Vidette[/name_f]
[name_f]Violina[/name_f]
[name_f]Viridienne[/name_f]
[name_m]Vivendel[/name_m]