Pronounce this

See the results of this poll: Leighton

Respondents: 79 (This poll is closed)

• Lay-ton : 64 (81%)
  • Lee-ton : 15 (19%)
  • Leeg-ton: 0 (0%)

It’s always been [name]Lay[/name]-tun for me. I knew a male [name]Leighton[/name] and that’s the way he pronounced it. I’ve never heard it any other way.

Totally agree, and find it strange that some berries in your other thread said that everyone will say [name]Lee[/name]-ton. Maybe where they live that’s the case, but in general I would think [name]LAY[/name]-ton is the more accepted pronunciation!

Good luck.

[name]LAY[/name]-tun. I know a really cool boy called [name]Leighton[/name], and he says [name]LAY[/name]-tun. I think [name]LEE[/name]-tun sounds more feminine, and [name]LAY[/name]-tun is way more masculine. It’s a strong name; I like it!

Based on “leigh” spelling trends, though, I think more people will BEGIN to say [name]LEE[/name]-tun.

I have never in my life heard “leeg-ton”. I think whoever invented that pronunciation is taking the “g” in there too seriously. :slight_smile:

From the spelling, I would say Leeton. I much prefer [name]Layton[/name].

Personally, I would say [name]Lee[/name]-ton but that’s primarily due to the fact that my sister’s middle name is [name]Leigh[/name] (pn. [name]Lee[/name])

It’s for a girl. But yes I can totally see where people would pronounce it the [name]Lee[/name] way, I just feel like [name]LAy[/name] sounds better…I just don’t like the spelling [name]Layton[/name] at all, it just looks made up to me. [name]Leighton[/name] looks so pretty.

I know a guy named [name]Leighton[/name] and he pronounces is [name]Lay[/name]-ton. Also, the actress [name]Leighton[/name] Meester pronounces it [name]Lay[/name]-ton. [name]Lee[/name]-ton wouldn’t even occur to me, and I would think the parent didn’t know what they were talking about if they introduced their [name]Leighton[/name] as [name]Lee[/name]-ton.

I voted for [name]Lay[/name]-ton, but its more like ‘[name]Lay[/name]-tun’ when I say it.

There’s a little boy across the street from me named [name]Leighton[/name] and he pronounces it lay-ton. It’s the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced.

I know [name]Lay[/name]-ton is the common way, but it makes no sense to me.
[name]Leigh[/name] is said [name]Lee[/name], so why is [name]Leighton[/name] [name]Lay[/name]?

If I use this, I’m saying it lee-ton on a girl for sure.

[name]Lay[/name]-ton… like [name]Leighton[/name] Meester. I’ve never heard it pronounced any different, [name]Lee[/name]-ton sounds silly in my opinion. And Leeg-ton? What? haha. It’s like the ‘leigh’ in sleigh!

Oh, she does? haha. I’m so celeb-illiterate it’s not even funny, lol. I always assumed [name]Leighton[/name] Meester said it [name]LEE[/name]-ton MEE-ster, which doesn’t sound as great as [name]LAY[/name]-ton MEE-ster, I admit, but I always thought [name]LEE[/name]-ton was supposed to be the correct way. I, too, say [name]LAY[/name]-ton, and thought I’ve been in the wrong the whole time, lol.

I voted for [name]Lay[/name]-ton, but it’s closer to [name]Lay[/name]-tun.

Either way, this isn’t a name for a girl. It phonetic pronunciation says it all, [name]Lay[/name]-tun. Not very pleasant to the ear.

The Leightons I know (surname) say it [name]Lay[/name]-ton. Or they slur it to Late’n, but they do not say Leee-ton at all.

I know it as a last name and it’s alway [name]Lay[/name]-ton.

Actually, it IS a name for a girl, it has been used for girls, thank you for your opinion. It happens to be my favorite name, and it has been for a few years. For a girl.

Also yes I always pronounced it [name]Lay[/name], not [name]Lee[/name]. And to the person who thinks it doesn’t make sense, eigh is in words like
WEIGHT
FREIGHT
SLEIGH
NEIGHBOR
noticing anything?

So, actually, if you think about it, prononcing [name]Leigh[/name] “[name]Lee[/name]” actually is what makes less sense, it’s just that it’s common and you’re used to it. So, yeah.

I would say [name]Lay[/name]-ton because of that actress, I think thats how her name is pronounced and she’s the only one I ever heard of with that name. [name]Lee[/name]-ton would make more sense to me though.