Pronounciation issues- Khalid in the US

Is Khalid too difficult for Americans? My husband loves this name, and I do too, but I don’t want to have to repeat it all the time and of course people will call him Call-id, which husband is okay with and I’m not sold on.

I’m not a fan/don’t know much about DJ Khalid but maybe he has given the name some familiarity?

This is the first name we’ve both loved but I don’t know if its practical living in the US.

Any input appreciated

I certainly don’t think this one would be too challenging for Americans. I’m American, and I’d instinctively pronounce this name kah-LEED. I’d think it very practical, no more difficult to get right than [name_m]Matias[/name_m], [name_m]Joaquin[/name_m], or [name_m]Luciano[/name_m], all of which rank in the top 400 boys names in the US.

1 Like

This is exactly what a was worried would happen so this is helpful :heart:

Its more like: KHaa-lid.
The kh [خ] is a letter we dont have in [name_f]English[/name_f].

One one hand, everyone knows who [name_m]Khalid[/name_m] is and how to pronounce his name, but on another hand, the association with the artist is probably too much for most people.

2 Likes

Yeah I worry people would think he’s named after the artist, who I don’t even follow or know any songs by, i just know he shouts his name mid-song :rofl:

1 Like

I think this would help! I don’t think it’s super challenging to pronounce, and yes, some people might need correcting, but I don’t think they’d go wildly wrong on seeing it?

Maybe it’s a UK perspective, but I wouldn’t assume this; it just feels like a solid, familiar Arabic name to me, not after anyone in particular

1 Like

In the end it’s your choice. There is a definite association, but just think about how much that really matters to you :slight_smile:

Best of luck!!

1 Like

Seconding!

3 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] first association with the name was a kid on the PBS show Fetch with Ruff Ruffman with the name [name_m]Khalid[/name_m]! He is an American, as you would expect. It didn’t seem strange to me as a kid, just new and unique (especially because I still remember it 15-20 years later haha).

I’ve also never heard of the DJ being mentioned, so I would not have the association. [name_m]Just[/name_m] the cute boy from PBS haha :slight_smile:

ETA: I just looked it up and the kid’s name is [name_m]Khalil[/name_m], not [name_m]Khalid[/name_m]. I think they did pronounce it KA-lill, not how [name_m]Khalid[/name_m] is pronounced.

1 Like

Very Islamic name. I associate the name with DJ [name_m]Khaled[/name_m] for sure. I don’t know much about DJ [name_m]Khaled[/name_m], but I definitely know this video :sweat_smile: It was trending like crazy a few years ago

1 Like

I don’t think it’ll be too difficult. Of course, there’s DJ [name_m]Khaled[/name_m] (pronounced slightly differently) and the singer named [name_m]Khalid[/name_m], which actually I feel help the familiarity of the name. I don’t think either association is too overwhelming either (definitely not on a level of, like, [name_f]Beyonce[/name_f] or [name_f]Shakira[/name_f] or something). It seems like a fairly familiar Arabic name.

1 Like

Lmao what a narcissist though :rofl:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name, but i really dont want people to think he’s named after this guy :sob:

1 Like

I think people who would think he’s named after this guy are people with a very limited worldview, and if anyone makes a comment you can just tell them it’s a very common Arabic name.

I do think the pronunciation will be tricky because [name_f]English[/name_f] doesn’t have this sound and a lot of people would go for Calid even if they know it’s not correct just because they don’t feel comfortable trying to pronounce the خ

2 Likes

Yeah and my Arab husband is the one who is totally at ease with that Khaled/Call-id situation but I think it would bother me, and probably the kid, too.

1 Like

We all have different sensibilities, I had a friend who wanted her kid’s name to be pronounced the same in both of her languages (we have the same combination), while I just wanted to like both pronunciations. It’s understandable if your husband also likes “Calid” and you’re not too fond of it.
[name_f]My[/name_f] kid is 5 and she’s totally fine with her name being pronounced differently in different languages, the name exists in [name_f]English[/name_f] too so it’s a little different, but if you see it as “English speakers pronounce this name Calid”, then it’ll just be the American version of [name_m]Khalid[/name_m].

1 Like

I knew how to say it due to DJ [name_m]Khalid[/name_m]! :joy:

1 Like

I just checked DJ [name_m]Khaled[/name_m] out of curiosity and he pronounces it the American way, Kah-led, not with a خ so yes, definitely people will say Kah-leed

1 Like