Pronouncing Dashiell, and thoughts on our choices!

I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name] - I am actually currently trying to convince my husband that he should love this name, too! I have only heard it pronounced [name]Dash[/name]-ull (but to be honest, I always thought that was the way [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Hammett[/name] pronounced his name, I guess you learn something new everyday). I live in Seattle where trendy names are everywhere and I’ve never met a [name]Dashiell[/name] or heard one on the playground before, which makes me love it even more.

I love [name]Arlo[/name], but know two in my neighborhood alone, also really like [name]Felix[/name] but have the same problem. My son’s name is [name]Milo[/name], maybe you’ll like that? Though I’ll admit that I’ve met so many lately that it feels like [name]Milo[/name] is the new “[name]John[/name]” in my city. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Soren[/name] or [name]Silas[/name]? Those are a couple of others on our list, though I definitely recommend [name]Dashiell[/name]!

When I see it, I pronounce it [name]Dash[/name]-ee-ell. Comes from taking Spanish classes I guess. I would never think to pronounce it [name]Dash[/name]-ull.

I would definitely pronounce it [name]Dash[/name]-ull. Awesome name. :slight_smile:

I love the name “[name]Dashiell[/name]” but if we use it, we’ll change the spelling (Daschle or something like it) and pronounce it [name]DASH[/name]-ull. It might not be perfectly authentic according to the original use, but society & culture change & modifying a name’s spelling to accommodate culture isn’t a crime against humanity. Also, I think that spending all my time (and his when he’s old enough) correcting people who read it & pronounce it Duh-SHEEL will get aggravating. [name]Just[/name] my two cents. :slight_smile:

I was named [name]Dashiell[/name] in 1948. The proper pronunciation of the names stated by the Library of Congress, pronunciation professionals, the CBS News speech consultant after viewing the movie, [name]Julie[/name], and the [name]Hammett[/name] family is duh SHEEL. Here’s a online service on the most mispronunced name in [name]America[/name].

I was named [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] in 1948. I researched the name while working in the Library of Congress in the late 60’s. I later worked at CBS News in the 70’s and 80’s where the speech consultant commented on the pronunciation of the name after the film “[name_f]Julia[/name_f]” was released. I’ve spoken to a family member of [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] [name_m]Hammett[/name_m] the author who first used the name as a christianed name. They all state that the correct pronunication of the name is dah SHEEL.