Pronouncing Nilo?

[name_f]My[/name_f] fiancé and I will be TTC in [name_f]June[/name_f], and we’re already thinking names! He’s Filipino, and one of the Filipino names I’m loving is [name_m]Nilo[/name_m]. It’s meant to be pronounced nee-lo. I’m wondering two things:

• What would be the most intuitive spelling for you if you heard “nee-lo?”
  • How would you pronounce [name_m]Nilo[/name_m] if you saw it?
3 Likes

In [name_f]English[/name_f], I’d intuitively say ny-lo, however, I still think it’s a simple correction and [name_m]Nilo[/name_m] is still the most aesthetically pleasing spelling for nee-lo. Neelo would look off to me.

1 Like

Spelling-wise, I think I’d stick to Nilo! I’m assuming that’s the traditional way of spelling it in the Philippines, and I think it looks neater and more international than Neelo or Nealo. All the other options like Nelo or Nylo wouldn’t have a very clear pronunciation either. So my vote goes to Nilo!

And I’d pronounce it the way you do! Granted, my first language isn’t English, so neye-lo is never going to be my natural instinct. But because Nilo feels non-English I could see folks who do have English as their first language pronouncing it nee-lo anyway? Especially if they’re familiar with non-English names, like if you live in a more multicultural area.

Either way, even if he does get neye-lo once in a while, it’s an easy correction to make, and worth it for such a lovely name! I love how it’s short but distinctive, with that cool -o ending! Good luck :blossom:

1 Like

I’m in the US and Nee-lo would be my default.

Echoing what others have said, I would instinctively pronounce [name_m]Nilo[/name_m] ‘nye-low’, but even after reading the correct pronunciation once I’ve already started the switch to ‘nee-lo’! [name_m]Super[/name_m] easy correction, and I think it’s a great name.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first language is french and I would instinctively pronounce it as nee-lo. And even if some people say “nye-lo” I think, as the user above said, it’s an easy correction and won’t be hard for people to pronounce it correctly next time.

Honestly when I saw it my first thought was nee-lo and then I tried to correct it to ny-lo so I think this spelling works (I only speak english). You could do Neelo for more clarity if you wanted though

nee-lo! it’s the most natural to me, and I actually thought your post said Milo first :joy:

i’m in the US for reference.

1 Like

I’m in the US and couldn’t decide between nee-lo (like Nico) and nye-lo (like Milo). But it would be an easy correction if I chose wrong and easy to remember after being told.

[name_m]Nilo[/name_m] reminds me of the river [name_m]Nile[/name_m], the major north-flowing river in northeastern [name_f]Africa[/name_f]. In my contry, [name_m]Nilo[/name_m] is what we call that river and we pronounce it nee-lo, like in the Philippines.

1 Like

I have not heard of Nilo before & my first instinct was to pronounce it nee-lo because it looks like Nico. I’m in Midwest USA.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first impression was Nye-lo like [name_m]Milo[/name_m], but I can definitely see Nee-lo as it’s similar to [name_m]Nico[/name_m] and a quick correction is all it would take! I’m from Eastern USA.

I’d probably go with [name_m]Nilo[/name_m] or Neelo? But would probably just ask if I could or look it up.

I’d pronounce it Nee-lo on seeing it, based on [name_m]Nico[/name_m] or [name_m]Nino[/name_m]

I’m in the UK, I instinctively pronounced it Nee-lo. [name_f]My[/name_f] second guess would have been with the long i sound. I’d use the [name_m]Nilo[/name_m] spelling. It’s a lovely name!

It’s a lovely name! I’m from AUS and my instinctive pronunciation would be ‘nee-lo’ (like Nico), I’d use the [name_m]Nilo[/name_m] spelling!

When I first read it I said nee-low but I also questioned if it was nye-low so I would think you would get both pronunciations from people.

If I heard nee-lo I’d probably spell it Neelo

Thanks for all the replies! It’s funny I was thinking about spelling it Neilo (like Neil) but I’m glad the consensus is that the traditional spelling is intuitive. :+1:t2:

1 Like