Pronunciation frustration

hi berries! i’m struggling with the pronunciation of the name romilly now that i have heard it two ways. i love the nickname romy, which i instinctively say ra-me. but i disliked the name romilly, which i pronounced ra-millie. i recently met a girl named romilly prn row-millie. i like that a bit more! :joy: the question is, which seems more natural, row-millie or ra-mille bc i have grown to like both. i just would hate to constantly correct people on how to say my kids name. and for romy do you say/prefer row-me or ra-me? tysm!!

1 Like

I naturally say “Row-me” and “Row-millie” for Romy/Romilly respectively. [name_u]Romy[/name_u] reminds me of [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] so that’s partly it!

3 Likes

I say and prefer roe-mee for Romy and raw-muh-lee for Romilly

8 Likes

i say romilly “raw-milly” and romy “row-mee”, and i think that works!

4 Likes

Row-milly is more intuitive to me from the spelling. The way you say it [name_m]Rami[/name_m] is closer in spelling

1 Like

I say [name_m]Rom[/name_m]- rhymes with [name_m]Tom[/name_m] - illy also [name_u]Romy[/name_u] like [name_m]Tommy[/name_m].
Are are you (y’all) saying [name_m]Rom[/name_m] like [name_u]Rome[/name_u]? illy? as an alternative to Ra-me?
I’m Australian. I don’t have broad or typical Aussie accent though. Not that it would make much difference.
@cali09 I doubt you need my input but I’m intrigued by what sounds row- me and rah -me are. I think my Rom-y (short o) translates to your Ra-me but I have never heard [name_f]Row[/name_f] … like Go?

yes like rome ee and rome illy. then ra-me rhymes with tommy

This was my first time seeing this name, and I immediately thought raw-millie. As for [name_u]Romy[/name_u], I pronounce this name similar to [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], just with and M instead of an S.

1 Like

[name_m]Rom[/name_m] rhyming with [name_m]Tom[/name_m] for [name_u]Romilly[/name_u]. Row-my for [name_u]Romy[/name_u].

2 Likes

I always say “row-mee” personally! [name_m]Ramy[/name_m], [name_m]Rami[/name_m], or [name_f]Romi[/name_f] may give you an easier time with pronunciation you prefer?

1 Like

I say it like Rom-ill-ee, rom rhymhing with [name_m]Tom[/name_m], or with the same o sound that’s in [name_u]John[/name_u]. [name_u]Romy[/name_u] I pronounce Ro-mee (like [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] with an M)

1 Like

I say [name_u]Romilly[/name_u] like Tom(illy) but [name_u]Romy[/name_u] rhymes with [name_f]Rosie[/name_f].

I say both as Row-me and Row-millie, it just is more intuitive that way I find, and I think it sounds better too.

Same as this

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say definitely don’t spell it [name_u]Romy[/name_u] if you prefer to pronounce is as Ra-me.

I have only ever heard [name_u]Romy[/name_u] pronounced “row-me” till this post. However, I’d pronounce [name_u]Romilly[/name_u] “RA-millie”. :person_shrugging: