Pronunciation of Caroline

I’m confused on the pronunciation of [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]. I’ve heard people say Care-o-lyn and others say Care-o-line. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you say it? I prefer the latter pronunciation, but I’m afraid I’m mispronouncing it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I say it with the hard ‘i’ sound rather than the soft, so that the last syllable rhymes with ‘brine’ (as in a turkey).

This is the more popular pronunciation, I believe.

care-oh-line

care-oh-lyn would be [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f].

I say ‘KAH-ruh-line’.

I had a neighbor named [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and she pronounced the end lean. I never heard it pronounced this way. I have always pronounced it with a line ending.

[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is “line” (as in the [name_u]Neil[/name_u] [name_f]Diamond[/name_f] song, “Sweet [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]”, written for President [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]'s daughter, [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]). The spelling [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] was invented to get the “lyn” pronunciation. I can’t for the life of me figure out why anyone would pronounce [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] with a “lyn”.

@lovermysweeties - [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is pronounced with a “lean/leen” sound by [name_m]French[/name_m] speakers. [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] of Monaco pronounces her name this way because Monaco is a [name_m]French[/name_m]-speaking country. English speakers pronounce it with a “line”.

I say Care-o-line.

Thank you. She is American, living in the states. It was confusing for everyone. Everyone pronounced her name with a line ending and she always got so upset.

I also say care-oh-line.

Care-o-line. I would produce [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] as care-o-lyn.

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]!

Cah-ro-line. Like [name_m]Arrow[/name_m]-line, with a C, a short ‘a’ as opposed to the long ‘a’ of Care-oh-line, which I’ve never heard used. Could be another of the US/UK differences in pronunciation, though.

Who are you to choose which pronunciation is correct? Who are you to judge what is invented and what is not?

Language is living thing, it can change over time, you can’t conserve it like canned tuna.

(kare-uh-line) for [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], and (kare-uh-lynn) for [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], when I read them on paper (and when I hear them I match them up that way, too). I know a [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] who pronounces her name like [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f], though, and I never thought anything of it. I like the [name_m]French[/name_m] (kare-uh-leen) pronunciation best, but I never hear it.

Uh, well the general consensus among name nerds is that [name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] is an invented spelling to get the “lyn” sound ending. Sorry if you don’t like it but that’s just the way it is. shrug Honestly, there isn’t any need to get upset over it.

Thanks everyone!! :slight_smile:

I’m adding [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] to my sig now. :slight_smile:

It’s a toss up between Cah-ro-line and Care-oh-line. It’s a great name. It’s one of my favorites. I originally had liked Charlotte more, but I wouldn’t use two names that were related so Charlotte was put aside.