Pronunciation of Persephone?

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Persephone[/name]? I’ve just heard it being pronounced differently to how I’d naturally pronounce it on a tv show, so I was wondering how everyone else pronounces it?

Thanks for any replies :slight_smile:

“[name]Per[/name]-[name]SEFF[/name]-oh-knee”.

[name]Per[/name]-[name]SEFF[/name]-uh-nee

I think it’s gorgeous :slight_smile:

Yes I’d pronounce it [name]Per[/name]-sef-oh-nee
Very pretty!

It’s pronounced per-SEF-oh-nee

It’s a beautiful name. [name]How[/name] did you hear it pronounced?

The correct pronunciation is, as others have noted, per-SEF-oh-nee…but when I was little I used to think it was pronounced purse-uh-phone. :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree that in the US it’s pronounced with the emphasis on the [name]SEFF[/name] syllable and with a long e at the end. But my daughter lived in [name]France[/name] for several years where she had a French friend with that name and it was pronounced with three syllables – PURSE-a-phone.

Yup! I was the same.

When I first heard the name [name]Persephone[/name] a few years ago, I had no idea how to pronounce it so I looked up an online guide. Turns out that guide must have been bogus cause I’ve been pronouncing it wrong for years!
I thought it was pn’d [name]Per[/name]-suh-PHONEY, with the emphasis on the last syllable. No wonder I didn’t like it! The [name]Per[/name]-[name]SEFF[/name]-oh-nne pn is beautiful, now I can see why everyone gushes about it! Gorgeous!

[name]Per[/name]- [name]Seff[/name]-oh-nee

Pretty much rhymes with [name]Stephanie[/name].

[name]Per[/name]-SEF-oh-nee