Pronunciation of Rhys???

Me and my husband have recently started to like the name [name]Rhys[/name] for a boy. I pronounce it (Riss). But my husband pronounces it ([name]Reese[/name]). We really like the name but don’t want to consider putting it on our list for a future son if we don’t know how it’s pronounced! So we are looking to you berries to help us out! So how would you pronounce [name]Rhys[/name]?? :slight_smile: Thanks!

I thinks it’s pronounced /[name]Reese[/name]/ or /Reez/. Riss sounds harsh on the ears and the sound a snake would make.

It’s just like [name]Reese[/name]/[name]Reece[/name], I believe. I’ve heard others say it like “rice”, but “reese” is the proper pronunciation.

I know its’ not correct, but I pronnounce it like [name]Rice[/name]. I think in actuality it pronnounced [name]Reese[/name].

• [name]Athena[/name]

I had a friend reese, pronounced reese. i agree with above poster

oops… [name]Rhys[/name] pn [name]Reese[/name]

Yep, I’ve always heard it as “[name]Reese[/name]”.

All of them I know pronounce it [name]Reese[/name]

My bother’s name is [name]Rhys[/name]-it is said just like [name]Reece[/name]. It is a very nice name!

[name]Reese[/name]. I only know one [name]Rhys[/name] and pronounces it as that. So thats what I go by.

Definitely [name]Reese[/name]! I don’t like Riss at all - sounds like a weird nickname. I think [name]Reese[/name] is cute, but I much prefer the American spelling of it. [name]Rhys[/name] is generally more popular in the UK.

[name]Rhys[/name] is said as [name]Reese[/name], it is a lovely Welsh name and would be a fine choice.

In [name]England[/name], it’s fairly common, and we say it like [name]Reese[/name]. I think [name]Reese[/name] is actually a phonetic respelling of [name]Rhys[/name].

I’ve always pronounced it [name]Reese[/name].
Good [name]Luck[/name]!

It’s the Welsh spelling of [name]Reece[/name]/[name]Reese[/name], and that’s how it’s pronounced.

My son’s name is [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]. It is pronounced [name]JUST[/name] LIKE [name]Reese[/name] or [name]Reece[/name]. It is a very old Welsh name…it is not Rizz!

[name]Reece[/name] and [name]Reese[/name] is just a modern phoneticism of [name]Rhys[/name]. I vastly prefer [name]Rhys[/name], but said the same way as the other two.

It is definitely pronounced like [name]Reese[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Reece[/name]. I liked the pp with a [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Patrick[/name], nice name.

I believe the traditional pronunciation is [name]Reese[/name]. I haven’t known anyone that pronounces it like Riss, and I think the child would have to go his whole life correcting people. Think role call in class, etc. Also Riss sounds a lot like wrist which might earn him some teasing.