pronunciation problems

Having been a creative teen, I “made up” the name Uh-lee - sea -uh. Having gotten older, I would not use it, but through my searching it turns out it really is a name. [name]Alicia[/name]. Where I live no one would pronounce it correctly. I went to school with many, Uh -leash -uhs. I would probably use it in the middle name spot. But it would very infuriating if those former classmates, and the entire town thought it was uh-leash-uh.
I know most of you like having it be the original spelling as much as possible, but what should I do? Is there another more common spelling I could use? Or even if it is spelt really weird, it will be the middle name, so she would not have to worry about the teacher having problems during class.
I am not pregnant, but this is one of the few names I like that my boyfriend said he liked too.

Oh even if the spelling would give something similar, such as Uh-lease-uh, or al-lease-uh, as long as there is no Leash sound.

[name]Elysia[/name] would be the obvious alternative!
It’s pronounced like you want it and no one will confuse it with [name]Alicia[/name] since the spelling is so different!
[name]Elysia[/name] is an awesome name actually! It means ‘from Elysium’ which is the home of the blessed in Greek mythology :slight_smile: It was in the underworld so to speak, but it’s still great when you think about it!! ^^

Best wishes!

[name]Elysia[/name] is a great suggestion. It looks kind of tryndy/made-up, but it’s a legitimate Greek name. Similar ones could be [name]Elisa[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Alyssa[/name], and [name]Alessia[/name] (Italian form of [name]Alicia[/name]).

I would spell it [name]Alecia[/name], from what I’ve seen it is a legit name pr. ah [name]LEE[/name] see ah

I looked up the prounciation of [name]Elysia[/name] and is got sh sound in it. :frowning: But as far as my checking of [name]Alessia[/name] goes so far so good. I am not italian though, nor is my boyfriend. So should i go with [name]Alecia[/name]?

It’s true that the ‘correct’ ancient Greek pronunciation of [name]Elysia[/name] has the ‘sh’ sound in it, but I’ve been looking around a lot and most people intuitively say eh-lee-see-ah or prefer that way which I think is the kind of name you are looking for.
Think of it like with [name]Lucia[/name]. [name]Lucia[/name] also has two pronunciations and which one is used is all a matter of the parents’ preference.

Since more people would pronounce [name]Elysia[/name] like you want to than they would [name]Alicia[/name], and since most don’t know the ‘correct’ Ancient Greek pronunciation, I would argue that [name]Elysia[/name] is you best choice if you want to stay legit! I also found the meaning of Elysium to be ‘blissful’ which is awesome!

That’s true. i am sure that it will more likely correct that way. Hmmmm, i will ask my boyfriend and see what he thinks about [name]Elysia[/name]. I know that both prounciations are “correct” for [name]Alicia[/name] (like with [name]Lucia[/name]), i just know no one who would say it how i want it said.

I know an [name]Elysia[/name] who pronounces it just like you want. I think you can tweak the pronunciation a bit–many names from different languages are anglicized into slightly different pronunciations ([name]Elodie[/name], [name]Anneliese[/name], etc.). [name]Elysia[/name] and [name]Alessia[/name] are both very pretty… but I’m pretty sure [name]Alecia[/name] is a made-up variation of [name]Alicia[/name].

I, too, know an [name]Elysia[/name] pronounced el-EE-see-uh (as well as [name]Alicia[/name] Silverstone, who pronounces her name the same way). I’d say go with the the [name]Elysia[/name] spelling, it seems more straight forward… [name]Alecia[/name] just looks like a misspelled uh-LEASH-uh.

I know and [name]Alicia[/name] and an [name]Alysia[/name]. The former pronounce her name uh-[name]LEE[/name]-see-uh, and the latter ah-[name]LYS[/name]-ee-ah. It might be spelled with an “e”, but I’m not sure. The [name]Alicia[/name] has never had any problems with her pronunciation as far as I know–uh-[name]LEE[/name]-see-uh is just how everyone pronounces it.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

looks like i will not have to bother with any spellings, as my boyfriend has changed his mind on liking it. However thanks everyone for your help.

This name is on my list.

Full name- Alyscia Naylea [name]Noel[/name]. The full name means dedicated; I love you; [name]Christmas[/name]

That spelling could easily lead to the mispronunciation Aliskia.

I wouldn’t change the spelling. Either the girl is going to have to say, “It’s pronounced [name]Ah[/name]-lee-see-ah” Or “It’s spelled A-L-E-S-I-A (or whatever spelling you choose”