Pronunciation Question

[name]Ada[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you say
[name]Add[/name]-uh like the beginning of [name]Adeline[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name]?
Ay-duh
or something else?

is one right?

It’s Ay-da (pronounced like [name]Aidan[/name]). That’s the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced.

[name]Per[/name] the earlier post, ay-da, like aiden.

If you like [name]ADD[/name]-a (like [name]Adeline[/name]), I would spell it as thus, “[name]Adda[/name].” However, [name]Adda[/name] has a very obvious nickname in “Subtract-a”, so think twice. :slight_smile:

I actually do like Ay-duh much better. But I remembered meeting a woman named [name]Add[/name]-uh as a child, and I became afraid that I had been pronouncing one of my favorite names incorrectly!

I would pronounce this as Ay-dah and I like this name. So much fresher than [name]Ava[/name]!

I think that it depends on where you are from and your accent

My mum knew a lady named [name]Ada[/name] and my mum pronouniced it [name]Add[/name] uh but then I worked in a nursing home and there was a lady name [name]Adelaide[/name] nn [name]Ada[/name] pronounced Ay da

I too would say Ay-duh. I also like. :slight_smile:

According to Behind the Name, AY-da is the English pronunciation, and [name]AH[/name]-da is the Polish one. I also prefer [name]Ada[/name]…

I would say Ay-da. [name]Ive[/name] never heard it any other way.