Pronunciation Questions

[name]Lucien[/name]: loo-see-aw (with the faintest N…French…), but I’ve also heard loo-see-in

[name]Kirsten[/name]: [name]Keer[/name]-sten

[name]Lara[/name]: Lahr-uh, but I’ve also heard (Lair-a). Like [name]Lana[/name] (lonn-a, lane-uh, lann-uh), it’s a tricky little name!

It’s so funny hearing all these pronunciations from the US, when in Australia, we would never say some of them like that! Here, [name]Clara[/name] is pronounced how it is spelt - ‘Clar-ah’. [name]Just[/name] like [name]Lara[/name]. If you said it ‘[name]Clair[/name]-ah’ or ‘Lair-ah’ here, people would look at you like you’re stupid! Same with [name]Kirsten[/name]. Here, it is said like it’s spelt - ‘Ker-sten’. Definitely not ‘[name]Keer[/name]-sten’! It’s all so interesting =) [name]Even[/name] more so when the [name]East[/name] Coast of the US says it differently again to the [name]West[/name] Coast!!

I have a problem pronouncing [name]Amelie[/name] though. I’ve been told it is “ah-may-lee”, but is the “ah” sound long or short? Ahhhmaylee or Uhmaylee?

The [name]Ah[/name] in [name]Amelie[/name] is pronounced “[name]Ah[/name]” not “uh.” I believe that [name]Keer[/name]-sten is actually the correct pronunciation of [name]Kirsten[/name]. If you look up “[name]Kiersten[/name]” on Nameberry, [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] write that “[name]Kiersten[/name]” is the spelling of “[name]Kirsten[/name]” used to make sure that people don’t mispronounce the name “[name]Kirsten[/name]” as Ker-sten.

Out of curiosity, I looked [name]Kirsten[/name] up on an international audio pronunciation site, and [name]Keer[/name]-sten was the preferred pronunciation.

Regardless, different dialects pronounce different names differently, and I’d never look at someone who pronounced a name differently than I do as though they were stupid.

It is really interesting, though! :slight_smile:

I wasn’t trying to have a go at anyone [name]Jill[/name], merely saying that in Australia the ‘preferred’ pronunciation of [name]Kirsten[/name] is “[name]Kirsten[/name]”. I believe “Keersten” is almost unheard of here actually.

It all just comes down to our different accents, and I am sure there are many, many more names that are pronounced differently in our different countries =)

[name]Erin[/name], I find it really fascinating as well! [name]Clara[/name] is one of my favourite names, but I hate [name]Clair[/name]-ah, and definitely prefer our Australian pronunciation :slight_smile:

I rponounce Am”lie as [name]AH[/name]-meh-lee, not ah-may-lee. [name]AH[/name] as in a short ah sound, like in afternoon for example. I have a darling little cousin in [name]France[/name] with the name, so again, my Australian prn of Am”lie is sweked again by my French background :slight_smile: It’s funny, hey!

[name]Mila[/name]? Mee-la, My-la, or Mill-a?

MIH-luh :slight_smile: like the ‘mi’ in milk and the ‘uh’ in under

I know two [name]Italina[/name] [name]Milas[/name], and both pronounce [name]Mila[/name] “mee-la.” I think it’s a pretty name. :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Kavan[/name]? I’m using it in a story and was wondering what’s the correct way to pronounce it. I’ve always had [name]Kay[/name]-van in my head, but is there anyone out there who pronounces it Kah-van?

Also, what about [name]Teagan[/name]? I can’t help but love the name (it means little poet! =]) I like [name]Tay[/name]-gan but is Tee-gan the correct way to say it?

[name]Kavan[/name] - I said it as though it rhymes with [name]Gavin[/name]…but I’ve never seen this name before so I dunno if its right :slight_smile:

[name]Teagan[/name] - I definitley say Tee-gan

I love the name [name]Esme[/name] to, when I was reading twilight I was thinking it was Es- mee which I love, then I heard it as Es-may which I also love…

[name]How[/name] would you pronounce the name [name]Shaelyn[/name]?

I say it as Sh-A-lynn. [name]How[/name] do you?

I’d pronounce it [name]Shay[/name]-lynn, but I’d opt for the authentic [name]Shea[/name], leaving off the trendy -lyn ending.

Is [name]Mila[/name] Mee-la because it is Italian and other names do not follow suit? I’m wondering if this means [name]Lila[/name] is [name]Lee[/name]-la and not Lie-la, which is how I’ve been saying it in my head. Sorry for all the questions … I think I am pronunciation challenged!

You’ve got it, [name]Emily[/name]. [name]Lila[/name] is Lye-la (or Lie-la, as you wrote it), not lee-la. :slight_smile:

Would you pronounce [name]Lauryn[/name] as LAR-in or LOR-in?

I don’t like the “y”…but I’d say LOR-in

[name]Do[/name] you pronounce [name]Viola[/name] as Vye-ola or Vee-ola?

I personally like Vye-ola the best.

i also say VYE-o-la

wondering how you would pronounce the boy’s name emrys? i saw on this site it shows em-rees, but other places list em-ris. wondering because i like the nn rhys…but if its pronounced em-ris that wouldn’t work!