Pronunciations of names that make no sense to you:

the original spelling (as in the scottish island) is [name_f]Islay[/name_f], which is even more confusing. although as someone who grew up and still lives in scotland, its never tripped me up, but i can see why it would.

repeating all the [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] statements, my head just goes ahn-tee-gun

another one for me is [name_f]Rosalinde[/name_f]. i think most people pronounce it the same as [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], but my brain sees the extra e and goes raw-za-lind-ee

1 Like

Have literally been saying it as EL-oh-wen all my life you’ve broken my brain :joy: how did I not know this

2 Likes

My big one is [name_f]Bette[/name_f] as bett-ee and the fact that [name_f]Emme[/name_f] is Emm-ee. In my head they are ‘bet’ and ‘em’. Also [name_f]Esme[/name_f] without the accent on the last e always feels like it should be ez-mee. Ez-may only makes sense to me when it’s spelled [name_f]Esmé[/name_f].

2 Likes

Me too! I had no idea :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh that’s okay, you’re not the only one :slightly_smiling_face: I find it very difficult to type it phonetically, and I always feel that when I do it still isn’t clear. So you can listen to a native Icelandic speaker pronouncing it here: Hjörtur. I hope it works for you, let me know if it doesn’t!

3 Likes

Aoife

Pronounced EE-fuh

Should be A-oiph

1 Like

I love Hjörtur so much more after hearing the pronunciation! It’s so cool :))

2 Likes