Pros and Cons of Isabella

Could you please give me your pros and cons for [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]?

I used to love this name, then sort of forgot about it, and now love it again.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it is possible to use it without a nickname?

Is it too common? I have the feeling the popularity has gone back a lot so probably not so many of baby-age around now?

1 Like

Pros:
[name_m]Classic[/name_m]
[name_f]Pretty[/name_f]
Elegant
[name_m]Can[/name_m] work for any ages
Many nn options
[name_m]Easy[/name_m] to spell & pronounce

Cons:
It’s no. 10, according to the ssa rating in the US
[name_u]Will[/name_u] probably not being the only [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] in class
People tend to shorten names, so a nn might not be avoidable
Too associated with [name_f]Bella[/name_f] (whose full name is Isabella) from [name_u]Twilight[/name_u]

3 Likes

Isabella…

Pros:
*Elegant and pretty but not too fussy
*Familiar and easy to say and wear
*Izzy, Isby, [name_f]Belle[/name_f], Sabby, and [name_f]Bella[/name_f] are all cute but I’ve known several Isabellas who’ve just been Isabellas
*Isabella [name_m]Linton[/name_m] of Wuthering Heights is one of my fave characters so that’s a plus for me

Cons:
*It is very popular and has been for a while
*You could avoid nicknames but the nn are very obvious and well known so they might well get used

3 Likes

Pros: elegant, well-known, pronounceable in many languages
Cons: multiple spellings/similar names it might get mixed up with

I think if it’s your name, you could say “please call me [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] in full” but I think if you named your daughter [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], it would be her choice and she might want to go by [name_f]Bella[/name_f], [name_u]Isa[/name_u], [name_u]Izzy[/name_u], etc one day.

And in the US [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is still the 7th most popular name for baby girls as of last year. Plus [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] are in the top 200 as well.

1 Like

Cons, and they’re only cons if that bothers you -

• it’s really popular
  • probably not usable without a nickname / all the Isabellas I’ve known (of) went by a nickname or at least used one around friends

Pros

• it’s familiar and travels well
  • it’s a beautiful, feminine name
  • lots of nicknames beyond [name_f]Bella[/name_f]
  • could be a subtle honour for an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

Personally, I’m a big fan of the name, I wouldn’t use it myself because I have a friend named [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] (who goes by Isa) but I’m not bothered by its popularity and would have it on my list otherwise.
I also especially like it as a middle name, it’s rather unexpected and makes for a nice surprise in the middle spot!

2 Likes

[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is so pretty :heart: [name_m]Even[/name_m] after all this time of so much use internationally, seeing her makes me happy haha.

Pros:
Romantic, full of history, lush, feminine, regal
So much fun to say
Timeless

Cons:
If you want to avoid a nn, it might not be easy. [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] and [name_f]Bella[/name_f] are so popular.
There are a lot of Isabellas around.

I guess depending on your religious preferences, the meaning could be a positive or negative. It’s a huge positive for me. :heart:

2 Likes

Pros:

[name_f]Pretty[/name_f] enough
[name_m]Classic[/name_m] and well-established as a name
Usable
Lots of nickname options
Ages well

Cons:

Very popular
Some unavoidable nicknames

1 Like

my name is isabella and i don’t hate it per se but i don’t love it, people call me bella and i’m not sure if i want to keep it for my life so idk

1 Like

I taught many Isabelles and Isabellas for many years. Not sure if there are a lot of little ones with the name now.

I don’t care for [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] or [name_f]Bella[/name_f], though I like [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]. I prefer [name_u]Esme[/name_u], [name_f]Ismene[/name_f], and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f].

1 Like

Pros:
Familiar internationally.
[name_m]Long[/name_m] history with a number of famous namesakes.
Biblical roots and spiritual meaning (if that matters to you).
Variety of nickname options.
Not much ambiguity in terms of spelling/pronunciation.

Cons:
Very popular among the current generation of kids.
Not really a classic name in [name_f]English[/name_f] (compared to [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] which is the standard [name_f]English[/name_f] form of the Biblical name) - it will likely seem dated at some point.
The nicknames [name_u]Izzy[/name_u] and [name_f]Bella[/name_f] are probably hard to avoid.

Pros:
[name_f]Pretty[/name_f], classic, international, feminine, sounds intelligent, fancy, everyone knows how to spell and pronounce it, versatile with nicknames, suits any age

Cons:
Too popular, and has been for two decades is the main con. Some people might shorten it to [name_f]Bella[/name_f] automatically, which wouldn’t have to be a con, but if you don’t want to be called that, it could be annoying.
Overall, I think [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is a very pretty name, and despite its popularity, I would like to see it being used as it’s classic and old fashioned, especially with all the horrible made up names babies get these days. I don’t think it needs a nickname since it is easy to pronounce and well known.