Prudence

Is [name]Prudence[/name] too harsh of a name?
I would pair it with something overly frilly probably, maybe even use it in a double name. (ie [name]Prudence[/name]-[name]Maeve[/name]…something along those lines)

I love it, but can’t get over qualms about ever using it. Convince me!

You know, it took “Across the Universe” to make me warm up to [name]Prudence[/name] as an actual name. I’m not much of a fan of virtue names, but [name]Prudence[/name] is charming. Soft & sweet, not harsh at all! Of course, if I had a [name]Prudence[/name], my other half would sing “Dear [name]Prudence[/name]” at her nonstop, so while it’s not something I feel comfortable using, I would love to meet a few little Prudences!

[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] is lovely, here are a few more suggestions that I think might appeal:

[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Esme[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]

Maybe something there? [name]Hope[/name] it helps! [name]Prudence[/name] is gorgeous! :slight_smile:

I’ve never thought about it, but I like it! I don’t like it as a hyphenated name though, it might be a little heavy. I do like the idea of pairing it with a very feminine middle. I really like [name]Lola[/name]'s suggestions of [name]Prudence[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] and [name]Prudence[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]. Anything clearly feminine and sweetly old fashioned would sound great as a middle

I’m all for [name]Prudence[/name]. I knew an adorable girl with the name, and I don’t automatically associate the Beatles. [name]Pru[/name] is a super-cute nickname. I wouldn’t go with a double name, though; [name]Prudence[/name] is so distinctive that tacking something on the end detracts from her magic. :wink:

I agree…[name]Prudence[/name] as a double name is a bit much.

[name]Lola[/name], love your suggestions!!

[name]Prudence[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] is magical. :slight_smile:

Is [name]Pru[/name] the only nickname for [name]Prudence[/name]?

I flat out love this name!!! And agree with everybody else, instead of hyphenating, just a short and sweet and girly middle name would be great. The only other nn I have heard is [name]Prudie[/name].

I’m not a [name]Prudence[/name] fan (sorry!). When I hear the name, I think of prunes and the term “prude,” which will certainly be source of teasing. I wouldn’t mind seeing [name]Prudence[/name] as a middle name, though.

I really love the name [name]Prudence[/name]! I think it’s because I love the song so much.

I have to say, if I were naming a character, maybe someone quirky yet lovely in a [name]Wes[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] movie, I might name her [name]Prudence[/name]. And love it. But if I were naming a real little girl, who had to go to real seventh grade, and on real blind dates, I’m sorry, but no. [name]Even[/name] in the world of virtue names, there are so many other wonderful options that might be easier to handle: [name]Honor[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Mercy[/name]. If you are really considering this name for your child, go around for a day and introduce yourself as [name]Prudence[/name] and see what the reaction is. I’d love to hear!!

My apologies, but I do not like [name]Prudence[/name] at all. I think you will come across many sterotypes of your little girl being a snob, or very “old lady-ish”. That is just frommy experience though. You could always use it as a middle name though, if you found the right combination. imo, I can not see a little baby being stuck with such a heavy name. But if you love it, go for it!

This probably doesn’t make sense…but what about the nn of [name]Rudy[/name]? pRUDence…?

I love it. I love the sound of it and I loooove the meaning.

And I think kids now are more likely to think of [name]Prue[/name] Halliwell from Charmed than leap straight to ‘prude’. [name]Even[/name] if they do, I would prefer male classmates think my daughter was prudish than some other alternatives.

I think it sounds harsh but could be resurrected from its musty associations if enough people chose it. I agree that it’s better than a name that connotes its opposite.