Question about Lucy

[name]Hi[/name] all! An update and a question from me!

We’re slowly starting to narrow it down, of our top four, two are becoming clear front runners:
[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Marie[/name] nn [name]Andie[/name]

If we go with [name]Lucia[/name], DH loves the nickname [name]Lucy[/name]. I like it too but am a little on the fence because of how popular it has become. If we called her [name]Lucy[/name] I think it would be more of a pet name and less of an everyday thing, but its hard to know how much a nickname will grab hold with the rest of our families etc. We may not be able to help it…

My question is, if we end up calling her [name]Lucy[/name] quite a bit, if #2 is a boy would you automatically count [name]Charlie[/name] out due to the Peanuts connection?

I wouldn’t have noticed anything strange about a [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] sibset. I think its really cute. But my vote is for [name]Andie[/name]. Adorable!

Thanks [name]Jemma[/name]. I am glad to hear that the Peanuts connection didn’t occur to you! I will be interested in what others have to say too!

It didn’t occur to me at all until you pointed it out :slight_smile:

I think [name]Lucia[/name] nn [name]Lucie[/name] is gorgeous. I know a [name]Lucia[/name] who goes by both [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] and she loves her name.

I hadn’t thought of spelling it [name]Lucie[/name]… But I kind of like that it is closer to her real name… But is it weird that its not spelled the traditional way? [name]Will[/name] that cause more problems than just calling her [name]Lucy[/name]?

I hadn’t thought of spelling it [name]Lucie[/name]… But I kind of like that it is closer to her real name… But is it weird that its not spelled the traditional way? [name]Will[/name] that cause more problems than just calling her [name]Lucy[/name]?[/quote]

LOL! I hadn’t even realised I used both spellings! Well, I spell my nn ([name]Ella[/name]) as [name]Elea[/name] and I’ve always just explained to people that that’s how I spell my nn and they tend to pick it up quickly. It’s never been a problem :slight_smile: It’s a bit like the [name]Amy[/name]/[name]Aimee[/name] spellings for me (I know several of both).

[name]How[/name] are you pronouncing [name]Lucia[/name]? Pronouncing the c like a ch (versus like an s-cound) will distinguish this name more from [name]Lucy[/name]. [name]Lu[/name]-chi-a (This is the Italian pronunciation, and I prefer this pronunciation.) Also, nn [name]Lucie[/name] reads more like a nn than does [name]Lucy[/name], which is identical to the stand-alone name. So I’d encourage the [name]Lucie[/name] spelling. Finally, I think it will be inevitable that a [name]Lucia[/name] will be called [name]Lucy[/name], but you don’t have to. If you insist on calling her [name]Lucia[/name], then no matter how much she gets called [name]Lucy[/name] by others, [name]Lucia[/name] will not disappear from view. Good luck.

I prefer [name]Lucia[/name] to [name]Alexandra[/name].

Thanks for the input!

The pronounciation would be [name]Lou[/name]-sha, the American pronounciation, as in [name]St[/name]. [name]Lucia[/name] the virgin island.

OK, knowing that, I don’t think [name]Lucy[/name] nn is a problem, unless you want that nn. [name]Lou[/name]-sha sounds very different from [name]Lucy[/name]. In fact, I would say the obvious nn for [name]Lou[/name]-sha was [name]Lou[/name] ([name]Lu[/name]), not [name]Lucy[/name].

I really like [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] together. [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] are nice nn’s. The [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] connection didn’t even hit me until I read it later. If they were say [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Linus[/name] then I’d say yeah, there’s a problem.

I think you’re okay with [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name]. for one thing, people associate the combo “[name]Linus[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]” with peanuts much more, probably due to the [name]Vince[/name] Guaraldi album of the same name. then there’s the fact that [name]Charlie[/name] brown never actually goes by “[name]Charlie[/name],” it’s always either “[name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name]” or “[name]Chuck[/name].” Could it be that i’m a little too familiar with this? :slight_smile:

I had the same thought too – I would think of [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] if a sib set were [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Linus[/name] (these were our cats’ names actually, but [name]Linus[/name] wandered off), but [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] just sound like two classic names.

I didn’t make the connection until you pointed it out! :slight_smile: I love [name]Lucy[/name]! With [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name], some people may make the connection and others (like us) may not.
If you’re comfortable with [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name], I think that’s what’s important. :slight_smile:

I really love both [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck, [name]Erin[/name]! I hope you’ve been doing well!

Thanks [name]Jill[/name]! We are both really happy with both the [name]Lucia[/name]![name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name]/[name]Andie[/name] options. I think we will know which one is right when we see her!

[name]Just[/name] to confirm, you think [name]Lucy[/name] rather than [name]Lucie[/name] is better right?

I think they’re both really pretty, but yeah, I’m personally more of a [name]Lucy[/name] person. Which spelling do you like?

I knew the sweetest [name]Lucia[/name] long ago, and I just think it’s a fantastic name. :slight_smile:

I’m really excited for you, [name]Erin[/name]! :slight_smile:

I am torn, I like the simplicity of [name]Lucy[/name] but I also like how [name]Lucie[/name] is more in touch with the full name [name]Lucia[/name].

Somehow I have to believe DH will have an opinion on that one.

I am Soooo excited and relieved that we have two names that we love! Thanks for all of your council overe these last months!!!

I’m so excited to see which name you choose! :slight_smile: I’m so happy that you found Nameberry! :slight_smile:

Either way, I really love [name]Lucy[/name]/[name]Lucie[/name], and like you said, [name]Lucie[/name] really does capture the elegance of [name]Lucia[/name].

Take care, [name]Erin[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Both[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Lucie[/name] are lovely, but I love [name]Lucy[/name] the most. I think that’s because I love the shape of a word when it has a lower case letter that goes down below the line like a “y” or up above the other letters like a “t” or up really high like an “l” or an “h”. That’s why I love my son’s name [name]Peter[/name]. My last name [name]Chesney[/name] is really cool because it has an “h” that goes up and a “y” that goes down.
But [name]Lucie[/name] looks much gentler and more old-fashioned than [name]Lucy[/name] does.

Thanks for the perspective [name]Susan[/name]… The other thing I am thinking is that [name]Lucy[/name] feels more like a nickname to me since it is shorter than [name]Lucia[/name]… Where as [name]Lucie[/name] is just swapping out one letter for the other.

Also I think she would have to spell [name]Lucie[/name] for people, or they’d just assume its [name]Lucy[/name] and get it wrong.

Yes, spelling ones name several times a day gets really old. I would go with [name]Lucy[/name].