Question about nicknames

See the results of this poll: If Eleanor can be called Nora, can Honor be called Nora?

Respondents: 23 (This poll is closed)

• Yes: 20 (87%)
  • No: 3 (13%)
  • Other / Only if … (please specify): 0 (0%)

Of course! I see no problem in using [name]Nora[/name] as a nn for [name]Honor[/name], both are wonderful and cute :slight_smile:

If you’re worried about it being too much of a stretch, maybe consider [name]Honora[/name]. [name]Honor[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name] isn’t that far off though, if [name]Honor[/name] is the name you really love.

You can definitely use it, I just don’t know why you would? It’s not shorter than using [name]Honor[/name], so if you want to call her [name]Nora[/name], why not just name her that?

I think it’s much better on [name]Honora[/name]. I don’t think it really works too well because [name]Eleanor[/name] is pronounced el-la-nor while [name]Honor[/name] is more on-er than on-nor. I think [name]Honora[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] are much prettier as well.

I’m with the above poster…if you like [name]Nora[/name], why not just name her [name]Nora[/name]? I don’t really see how they get [name]Nora[/name] from [name]Eleanor[/name], I mean, I do kindof see it, but I don’t know why people would name someone [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Honor[/name] just to call their child [name]Nora[/name]. [name]Nora[/name] is a complete and beautiful name on it’s own. Sometimes I just don’t get nicknames.

Thank you for your replies!

As for [name]Honora[/name], I do like that as well but I really prefer the simplicity, cleanliness, and sophistication of [name]Honor[/name]. Besides, I fear that people who are unfamilliar with baby names would think [name]Honora[/name] was made up? Is that silly? Can you tell I over think these things :slight_smile:

And as to answer why I don’t just name her [name]Nora[/name], the issue is I am a nicknamer. I always shorten names, I can’t help it, and therefore I would prefer my baby to have a charming nickname. I completely understand your points though!