Question from a friend...

[name]Reading[/name] through the posts on this thread reminded me of a name that I always thought sounded lovely but was still very unique. The name is “Fairlight”. I had heard this name used by a character on the tv series “[name]Christy[/name]”, which was based on the novels by [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Marshall[/name]. I think that it would fit well into the style that they are using. Potential nn’s could be “[name]Fae[/name]” or “[name]Lizzy[/name]”? I don’t know, what would they think of “Fairlight [name]Marianne[/name]”?

I love some of Dearest’s suggestions, and adore [name]Verity[/name], but I still prefer Thankful. It’s just perfect! I don’t think I would resent being called Thankful, as although it is unusual, it has the very accessible [name]Annie[/name] nn option, and a pretty sound. Also, as [name]Prudence[/name] likes the name, it seems clear to me that having a very vintage virtue name has not adversely affected her, and I can’t imagine it will be that different for Thankful. And if she really dislikes her name, then she can always revert to the middle.

There is a radio DJ here in [name]England[/name] called [name]Edith[/name]. I imagine, 20, 30 years ago, when she was named, everyone thought her parents were crazy for not picking [name]Jennifer[/name] or the like, but no-one questions it now - everyone talks about her brilliant music taste and knowledge, her obviously fun personality and how good she is at her job; I have never even heard someone mention her name. And that proves, in my mind, that having an unusual name is really less important than people think. This is coming from a [name]Winifred[/name] around forty years younger than every other [name]Winifred[/name] (I am 29).

Also, I would not assume a Thankful was Amish unless she were wearing the Amish dress, and I do not think Thankful is too religious, as you can be thankful for life, the beauty of the world et cetera without believing in a god who is responsible for either of those things, in my opinion.

I’m not sure if this was already suggested, but Bethiah was a name used quite a lot in early [name]America[/name], I think.

Questions: Is [name]Meg[/name] looking for an authentic early American name, or would she be satisfied with a name that had the right “feel” to go with her other kids’ names? I’m not sure if some of the lovely names that have been suggested were actually in use in early [name]America[/name], even though they would sound great & fit with the sib-set. Of course, [name]Meg[/name] would obviously be the authority on which names were “authentic” and which were not, if that is important to her.

dearest I thought your knowledge and suggestions were so good. I am glad that you liked [name]Epiphany[/name], I thought that this may be THE name that [name]Prue[/name]'s parents were looking for.

Wow! Great comments, everyone!

[name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] are very picky when it comes to choosing names, it seems. Some they think are too word-like (coming from parents of a [name]Remember[/name], this strikes me as odd) whereas some, mainly the Greek names suggested, strike them as out of place with [name]Prudence[/name] and [name]Remember[/name]. To answer one person’s question, it is more important to [name]Meg[/name] that the name flow with [name]Prue[/name] and [name]Remy[/name] - as in a similar style - than the name being authentically Puritan or Pilgrim in nature.

They are coming back around to [name]Verity[/name], which I think is great - I love the [name]Vera[/name] nickname! They aren’t sure which middle name option - [name]Marianne[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], or [name]Susannah[/name] - works best with [name]Verity[/name] [name]Doyle[/name], though. They also liked the suggestion of [name]Blythe[/name], but worry she might feel out of place without a nickname like [name]Prue[/name] and [name]Remy[/name] have. The final suggestion they really took a fancy to was [name]Glory[/name], but weren’t sure 1) which middle name works best, and 2) what a potential nickname could be. They are still liking [name]Felicity[/name], especially with the Lissy nickname, and, of course, Thankful. So, the list has grown to:

Thankful [name]Marianne[/name] - [name]Annie[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] - Lissy
[name]Verity[/name] (----------) - [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name] (---------) - ?
[name]Glory[/name] (---------) - ? [I’m partial to [name]Glory[/name] [name]Susannah[/name]…]

Also, someone mentioned that having a vintage, Puritan name hasn’t hindered [name]Prudence[/name]. Actually, [name]Prue[/name] adores her name and really loves how she has a classic, historical name with a sweet, fun nickname - a name that none of her friends have. [name]Remy[/name], though only five, says she enjoys getting compliments and questions about her name; it makes her feel “special.” Aww!

So, any MORE thoughts on the list? For latecomers to this name game, this is baby #3 for [name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Doyle[/name], parents to [name]Prudence[/name] [name]Amelia[/name], 9, and [name]Remember[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], 5.

From this list, my vote would be for [name]Verity[/name]. I think [name]Verity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] sounds best from the list of middle names.

You are very kind to help out your friends. You should get the honorary name of [name]Patience[/name] for all of your patience and generosity!

[name]Verity[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] [name]Doyle[/name] has flair, presence, class, femininity, pilgrim values, pilgrim/early settler names.

A name to love, this has my 10/10!!

[name]Verity[/name] is lovely, a really good choice for the sibset too. It is unusual, but not weird, and has a pretty, soft sound, and the nickname [name]Vera[/name] is adorable. Definitely my favourite!
Hmmm for middles, I think any of the four choices would sound good, but my favourite is [name]Marianne[/name], I think, I do like [name]Susannah[/name] too though, hard choice!

Oh, I love helping [name]Meg[/name] pick this name! And, I feel bad for her - she is so stressed right now with [name]Prue[/name] being sick, that she doesn’t really have the time or energy to get on here herself. I’m more than happy to help her…

You all like [name]Verity[/name]? I think it is cute, too, and I really like [name]Vera[/name]. It is a little more name-y than [name]Prue[/name] and [name]Remy[/name], but it works well, and she could easily use that nickname for her entire life. But, you all three voted for different middle names!

[name]Verity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Doyle[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] [name]Doyle[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Marianne[/name] [name]Doyle[/name]

What - no [name]Verity[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Doyle[/name] takers? I think I’m partial to both [name]Verity[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Verity[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name].

Can’t wait to see if [name]Verity[/name] is the pick of everyone else. Maybe I should make a poll?

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Verity[/name] nn [name]Vera[/name]! [name]Vera[/name] is my mothers name. :slight_smile:
I would have to pick [name]Marianne[/name] or [name]Susannah[/name] for the middle name.
It is a little different that baby #3 will have a “real name” nickname and the other 2 do not. From [name]Verity[/name] I can see the nickname [name]Eri[/name], said like [name]Air[/name]-Ee. I actually knew an [name]Eri[/name] in highschool and I’ve always like the way it sounded. [name]Prue[/name], [name]Remy[/name], and [name]Eri[/name]… maybe [name]Eri[/name] sounds too much like [name]Remy[/name]? This is definitely a hard one! GL to [name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name]!

I knew the most attractive [name]Verity[/name] once, model material with a great personality and her nn was [name]Verdi[/name].

I think [name]Verity[/name] fits wonderfully with their sibset, and either [name]Vera[/name] or [name]Verdi[/name] is perfect. I kinda like [name]Verdi[/name], even though it’s a bit unusual…it just appeals to me.

I love the name [name]Verity[/name] with nn [name]Vera[/name].
have you thought of [name]Unity[/name]? I dont know of a nn for it though…

[name]Verdi[/name] is such a cool nickname, as is [name]Eri[/name]! Great suggestions, ladies! So, are you all saying that the best name is [name]Verity[/name]? I’ll have to tell [name]Meg[/name]…

Actually, I believe [name]Unity[/name] was considered and rejected because it reminded [name]Patrick[/name] of [name]Eunice[/name], a name he really despises. [name]Don[/name]'t ask me why - they are picky, but who isn’t when it comes to naming a baby?

Thanks, again!

[name]Verity[/name] does seem perfect, and many of the MNs would work well with it. The only one that I don’t really like with [name]Verity[/name] is [name]Marianne[/name]. That is because of the strong repetition of vowel sounds. But that’s just me … I don’t love the flow of [name]Verity[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] much either.

I do like [name]Verity[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] in addition to [name]Verity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Verity[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] would also be nice, if they are up for considering other names in the middle that are not on that list.

I did think of another suggestion if they are still up for ideas.
“[name]Jubilee[/name]” (nn. “[name]Jules[/name]”, “[name]Lee[/name]”, or even “[name]Julie[/name]” or “[name]Lily[/name]”)
I really like how “[name]Prudence[/name]”, “[name]Remember[/name]”, and “[name]Jubilee[/name]” sound together. I also like how it’s related to “Thankful” in that it means - “Rejoicing”.
Of your other choices, I think “[name]Verity[/name] [name]Susannah[/name]” sounds very pretty.

Okay - at this point I have been told that [name]Meg[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name]'s top two names for this little girl are [name]Verity[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), [name]Meg[/name] has become very insecure about naming her child Thankful, but she isn’t totally ready to kick it off the list. I think these three are the final three, so I’m going to go ahead and make [name]Meg[/name] a poll and get some feedback in the way of numbers.

As always, I appreciate you all helping out my friends!