Questionable words that would make good names

When I was 12, I had a character named Aliciana! I thought I made it up lol.

Lolouila, which means ā€œcomputerā€ in Hawaiian but it sounds beautiful!

1 Like

@lumosmaxima I have [name_f]Afternoon[/name_f] on my list as a middle name
@ferix08 I knew a kid named [name_m]Wood[/name_m]. I thought it was weird. It was his grandmotherā€™s maiden name, but still. Itā€™s like naming your kid [name_m]Brick[/name_m].
@hyacinthbucket [name_f]My[/name_f] great-great-uncle was named [name_u]Yule[/name_u], though I believe it was spelled Euel, which sounds like something that comes out of a wound.
@futuremama Iā€™ve heard [name_f]Lullaby[/name_f] proposed as a name before. I would maybe use it as a middle name. You just have to be brave, I guess lol

5 Likes

Mandarin
Jester
[name_m]Triumph[/name_m]
Stigmata
[name_f]Essence[/name_f]

Some are not bad words as such but not sure Iā€™d they are usable.

2 Likes

Stigmata feels like a name that would work in a very brave, extremely Catholic family. It has a great sound.

2 Likes

Myelin
Stigmata
Margarine (pronounced mar-jar-EEN)
Requiem
Sacrament
Synesthesia
Rosacea
Porphyria
Immunity
Protasia
Scalene
Cosine
Isosceles
Perennial
[name_f]Eternity[/name_f]
[name_f]Divinity[/name_f]
Rapture
[name_f]Alacrity[/name_f]
Avarice
Theorem
Litmus
Silhouette
Symmetry
Radius
Radium
Antiquity
Galaxy

1 Like

Malaria :joy:

2 Likes

Serendipity! S/O actually doesnā€™t hate the idea of this as a name :thinking:
I donā€™t know that these are questionable per se, but they do raise some eyebrows where I live;

Harvest
[name_f]Heavenly[/name_f]
[name_f]Miracle[/name_f]
[name_f]Praise[/name_f]
Prayer
[name_f]Epiphany[/name_f]
[name_f]Fidelity[/name_f]
[name_f]Lullaby[/name_f]
Honeysuckle
[name_f]Blessing[/name_f]
[name_u]Bliss[/name_u]
[name_u]Christmas[/name_u]
[name_f]Temperance[/name_f]
[name_u]Jersey[/name_u]

1 Like

Harvest is one of my favorites! Iā€™m also warming up to Prayer as a middle name.

Chanterelle (a type of mushroom)

4 Likes

Dementia and Chlamydia :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

@Paxramena I actually know a [name_m]Brick[/name_m]! They chose it for themself, so I donā€™t know if it counts, but stillā€¦

Chlamydia would be so nice! If not forā€¦ wellā€¦
Iā€™d love Microphone, pronounced like [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], or Petticoat.
I also think Polyester, Polymer, and Plasticine would all be delightful!

2 Likes

When I was diagnosed with Touretteā€™s I remember thinking it sounded like a legit first name cause it sounds a lot like [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] :joy:

5 Likes

I have [name_f]Evening[/name_f] as a middle in one of my combos!

1 Like

I think Misery and its Germanic twin Ellende would make a lovely sibset, because you know what they say huh.

This thread reminds me, on a [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] naming forum my fellow name nerds were very quick to avoid a lifetimeā€™s disaster which would easily have made it past an older clerk at the municipality. The word Violence has. I was young and innocent and just disliked the sound of it, so I hadnā€™t pointed it out myself. Letā€™s just say the word starts with J and looks like [name_u]Jazz[/name_u], except itā€™s not.

1 Like

Evening, [name_f]Welcome[/name_f], and [name_f]Edelweiss[/name_f] are also on my lists as middles!

I like Influenza! Thereā€™s a guy on Tiktok who does a whole series of these :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ferix08

My grandfather actually had [name_m]Wood[/name_m] as his middle name. His first name was [name_u]Glen[/name_u]. And his last name was a color word.

1 Like

I knew a kid named [name_m]Wood[/name_m].