Questions About Doulas!

I’m quite interested in becoming a doula, and I have some questions about it. I think the initial curiosity stemmed from finding the IVF process and surrogacy very interesting, as well as my interest in psychology. Anyhow, as there are several different types of doulas, I’m wondering what the general consensus is on each branch, as well as what is most common for families to employ!
What type of doula did your family use, if any type (postpartum, birthing, breastfeeding, etc)? What did you expect from your doula, and what type of services did you find the most helpful? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you feel it was necessary for your doula to have any type of medical schooling apart from a doula certification? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think a degree in psychology would make a doula more desirable? Is there anything else you feel I should know about pursing a career as a doula?
Thanks for all your help!

Doulas are auch an important factor in improving birthing outcomes. NYC funds doulas for low income black women to reduce systemic racism.

It is such an amazing resource, for a long time and still in many cultures the grandmother, aunts and sisters of the mother would support them post partum. Now that’a lost.

I see the role as primarily to “mother the mother”. Unfortunately in some systems night nurses are used which separates the pair. This wouldnt happen at any other point in human history and i think that some people market themselves as doulas but assume that role.

For a doula to be valuable I believe they should be willing to cook, clean, watch older kids, babywear while the mother showers/eats and to support direct breastfeeding. They wouldnt need to be an expert in any of these areas but knowing where to signpost for help, quickly, would be useful.

Doulas in physiological labour is difficult because theyd need to be paid a lot to block off potentilaly a month of their calendar to be able to support a birth. A lot get vicarious trauma from seeing how people are treated in medical systems, and they themselves are stunned by medics which can be quite wearing.

1 Like