Quick Question Thread?!

Not at all. I don’t think parents and childrens names have to match. It’s natural for the parents to have different naming preferences than their own parents, so I think it’s fine.

Does [name_f]Susie[/name_f] sound too informal to use as a standalone? I’m really starting to love [name_f]Susie[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Susan[/name_f], but I don’t think I love it enough to put it on my list. I know a [name_f]Susie[/name_f] who is in her fifties and her name is a standalone, but for some reason I think it sounds a little informal or casual even though the [name_f]Susie[/name_f] I know wears her name very well.

@[name_f]Adelina[/name_f], no I think [name_f]Susie[/name_f] is just fine as a full name! I prefer it to [name_f]Susan[/name_f] anyways, it sounds more modern. Although, it does remind me of [name_f]Suzy[/name_f] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] from [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] and Ferb who always tries to break up [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] and [name_f]Candace[/name_f]. She’s cute though, just a bit evil. I still think [name_f]Susie[/name_f] is cute.

Which is your favorite middle name out of these: [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], or [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]?

@sparkleninja18 [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]. I know they don’t sound the same, but [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] reminds me of urinal. Maybe the “ur”, or the meaning or something. I love [name_f]Rosemund[/name_f] a lot though.

In the future, would I be able to use [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] “[name_u]Percy[/name_u]” and [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] together, or would that make it seem like I’m the biggest [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] fan on [name_f]Earth[/name_f]?

@hannahmadison I think at the moment they do sound to fangirly together at the moment but in ten or so years time they would be fine.

Are [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] too similar for siblings?

@emiliana: They aren’t too similar, but I would be careful about giving two kids the same initials. They’re all lovely names, though.

What do you think of the name [name_m]Gavriel[/name_m]?

@ksajovie - When I say it out loud, I naturally lean towards a short a in the first syllable with the emphasis being there as well (like in [name_m]Gavin[/name_m]), so to me it sounds like [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]. If you’re thinking of it as a girl’s name, I think it could work, as long as you’re ok with everyone constantly saying [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]. But as an alternative to a masculine [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], I don’t think it works. If you’re saying it with a long a like in [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and the emphasis there as well, I think it just looks and sounds like [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] trying to be unique.

I love the name [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], but prefer the [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] meaning and history (DH is Jewish and [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] means joyful in Hebrew). Is [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] always going to look like a unique spelling of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], even though they’re completely different names? What do you think of [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] in general?

I would intuitively pronounce [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] as uh-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-zuh and I think it’s pretty, familiar yet exotic. A quick search / referencing points to this being the correct pronunciation (well, at least “lee” vs. “lye”). That said I think you’d get this pronunciation as well as like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] with an A.

I think if you are wanting the same overall sound as [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] (which I find spunky and sturdy) you’ll get a little flack about creative spelling and make what otherwise is a fairly simple to pronounce and spell name quite troublesome. If you’re saying [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], I think it makes it more a variation of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] than the Hebrew name [name_f]Aliza[/name_f]. But I could be wrong, it’d be worth researching further to see if you can really make a stand. Either way you would just have to be okay with spelling and pronunciation corrections.

There is also [name_f]Alisa[/name_f] (ah-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-sah), if you are going for the “lee” prn.

[name_f]Svea[/name_f] – pronounced SVEH-ah/SVAY-ah, two syllables, not Suh-VAY-ah. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the correct pronunciation is just too tricky for people in the USA / English speakers?

If you had asked about [name_f]Suki[/name_f]/[name_f]Sukie[/name_f]/[name_f]Sookie[/name_f]/Sukhi, a year ago I would have been like, yeahhhhh no. But then I watched the entire [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls series, and met a girl named Sukhi. I think it is totally usable on it’s own! I really like it!

What do you think, [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Irie[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Alina[/name_f], or [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]? (Must be L.E.J.Z to avoid bad initials… [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] for Grandmother, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] for my mom)

[name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Alina[/name_f] is my favourite. :slight_smile: [name_f]Alina[/name_f] is one of those names that I’d forgotten I loved, but have now added back to my list.

I have been considering [name_f]Odile[/name_f] and [name_f]Odeline[/name_f] lately, but the “odd” sound is making me reluctant into adding them to my list. Would people take much notice of this in your opinion? [name_f]Do[/name_f] names beginning in -odd sound silly to you?

I honestly don’t really connect the sound with the word in those contexts at all. In any case the word doesn’t have really overwhelmingly awful connotations or anything so I wouldn’t worry about this

Also, I have been pronouncing those names as OH-deel and OH-dell-ine so I don’t hear the odd sound at all

I’d say put them on your list

I’ve been wondering which is the best option for the nn [name_m]Frank[/name_m]
[name_m]Franklin[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u], or just plain [name_m]Frank[/name_m]?

@gr19, I like [name_m]Franklin[/name_m] more than the other two. I have a soft spot for [name_m]Frank[/name_m] although I’d never have the courage to use it.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_m]Cornell[/name_m] could work on a girl? As a first name, with the nickname [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]. Would it be better as a middle or not at all? Many people in my family went to [name_m]Cornell[/name_m] University so I thought it would be a cool way to honor them.

@sparkleninja18 While I don’t think that [name_m]Cornell[/name_m] screams femininity, I think it could work on a girl. Especially with the nn [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], [name_m]Cornell[/name_m] could be unisex. Also, in my husband’s family, [name_m]Cornell[/name_m] is given as a middle to the first child regardless of sex. (sometime [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is used)

My question:
Our last name rhymes with Cabrera and is of Mexican origin. My husband thinks that the “-a” ending rules out any names ending in “-a”, I am unsure. What do you think?

@opelle Depends on if you like alliteration. It might sound a bit rhyme-y, but you could definitely get away with it. Personally, I would use a name that doesn’t end in -a, TBH. But that might just be me.

@Opelie – I’m going to answer yours as the PP didn’t leave a question and I whole heartedly say you can definitely use a name that ends in an “a”. In fact, whenever I encounter anyone who has this going on, I love it. I think the overall name has flair and an exotic appeal, like they could be in a band or movie or just have style. Obviously some names will work better than others, but that goes for any last name. If I had a last name like Cabrera and my daughter was [name_f]Luella[/name_f] Cabrera, well, I think it sounds great. I honestly only think this is an issue when it has to do with harsh sounds or incorporates more than just one end sound: [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_m]Garner[/name_m], a bit like chewing on gravel. [name_u]Madison[/name_u] [name_m]Anderson[/name_m], a bit gimmicky. [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] Cabrera, too rhyme-y. [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] Cabrera – totally fine [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

[name_f]Pippa[/name_f] as a full name, not a nickname? Would [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] work as a nickname for [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]? I’m not sure I like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] enough to actually use it, but I love [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] has been on my list, but it doesn’t have that “p” sound in there…

@aym definitely usable as a stand alone! Not so sure about [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] for [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]. [name_u]Philly[/name_u] instead?

[name_f]Edie[/name_f] as a nn for [name_f]Edna[/name_f]?

@Katoolah - I never really saw [name_f]Edna[/name_f] as a name that needs a nickname because it is so short, much less a nickname that is the same length as it, seems a bit silly, but sound-wise it definitely, obviously works! ([name_u]Love[/name_u] your [name_f]Edie[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] Bloom combo!)

Names of previous pets of friends/family, off limits??

Depends on the name, honestly. If your aunt’s dog had a common pet and human name like [name_f]Molly[/name_f], that’s fine. Something more unusual like [name_f]Polly[/name_f] might give me pause. A name that might have more of a pet flavor, like [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], would be out if a person I knew had actually used it on a pet.

What is the most religious/spiritual name/combo you are considering? (My long list includes [name_m]Augustine[/name_m], [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f], and [name_u]Francis[/name_u] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m])

That’s an interesting question. I like a lot of underused biblical names. I think if I had to pick one now off the top of my head (since I haven’t actually given this great thought) I’d probably go with [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] or [name_f]Esther[/name_f] for a girl and [name_m]Nathanial[/name_m] for a boy… but as for combos I’m not sure haha. Can I get back to you once I’ve had time to think?

What is the correct pronunciation of [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]? Is it [name_f]May[/name_f]-v or [name_f]May[/name_f]-vee or [name_f]May[/name_f]-va? I’m confused.

@iraasuup it’s pronounced [name_f]May[/name_f]-v. The ‘e’ on the of the name is silent.

I really like the names [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f], but i’m worried about using both of them because they are both goddesses. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it has nothing to do with that, I wouldn’t want people to think I have ‘high expectations’ of my kids. Is it fine using both?

@zoey_artemisia, I love [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Athena[/name_f] together! Most people will only recognize [name_f]Athena[/name_f] as being a goddess name (Greek mythology is much more well-known than Norse). But even if people do realize that they are both goddess names, I think its a cute, subtle connecting factor for the girls. I really like the sibset.

What are some names that could be used to honor [name_u]James[/name_u] ([name_m]Jim[/name_m])?