Rae or ?

Found out my DH likes [name]Rae[/name] for a girl. What names can this be a nickname for, or do you like [name]Rae[/name] on its own?

The only couple names I can think of off hand is [name]Reagan[/name], [name]Rachel[/name] and maybe something like [name]Raina[/name], but none of these are really my style. Any other suggestions?

I love [name]Rachel[/name] with nn [name]Rae[/name]…

Radha. It’s a name of [name]Indian[/name] origin but I know it from the Australian actress Radha [name]Mitchell[/name].

I like that it’s rarer than what you’d normally expect and that the name means successful.

Other names that you can derive [name]Rae[/name] from:

Raeka (spanish): unique and beautiful
[name]Raissa[/name] (french): Thinker

[name]Lorraine[/name]

[name]Rachel[/name]

[name]Rayna[/name]

or as a joint first name: [name]Carly[/name] [name]Rae[/name], [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Rae[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Rae[/name]

[name]Raquela[/name] or [name]Raquel[/name] or [name]Raina[/name] would be my preference probably but there’s also [name]Raelyn[/name].

We’re thinking of using [name]Rae[/name] for a middle name. I will watch this thread though for ideas for using it as a nickname.

I really like [name]Rae[/name] on it’s own. [name]Rhea[/name] is similar and has more “substance” for a first name if you feel [name]Rae[/name] isn’t substantial enough on it’s own (actress [name]Rhea[/name] Pearlman). I quite like the suggestion [name]Raelyn[/name]. What about [name]Renee[/name] or [name]Renae[/name] as a formal name for [name]Rae[/name]?

My daughter is named [name]Raelyn[/name], and I think I’ve only met two people with her name. It’s nice for her not to have such a common name. Everyone calls her [name]Rae[/name]-[name]Rae[/name]

I like [name]Raya[/name] nn [name]Ray[/name]…maybe [name]Freya[/name] can be nn [name]Rey[/name]? [name]Soraya[/name] is pretty and [name]Rayna[/name] / [name]Raina[/name].

I like [name]Rae[/name] fine on its own. It’s cute as a nickname for [name]Rachel[/name]… I could also see it as short for [name]Ramona[/name], [name]Raphaela[/name], [name]Raven[/name] or [name]Renee[/name]. Oh, and I had a teacher in high school with the smush name RaeAnna, which is nice sounding even though I don’t like smushes much!

Maybe [name]Raleigh[/name]?

[name]Rachel[/name], [name]Rayna[/name] or Reika.
Good luck! :slight_smile:

Out of the suggestions so far my favorite is [name]Ramona[/name] :slight_smile: so cute! and [name]Raven[/name]. Some others you might consider…

[name]Raisa[/name]- greek, rose
[name]Raizel[/name]- yiddish, rose
[name]Desiree[/name]- french, desired
[name]Mireille[/name] (meer-AY)- french, to admire
[name]Mireya[/name]/[name]Mireia[/name] (meer-ay-ah)- spanish, to admire
[name]Mairead[/name] (muh-raid)- irish version of [name]Margaret[/name], pearl
[name]Grace[/name]- english
[name]Graziella[/name]- italian form of grace
[name]Hillary[/name]- Latin/greek, happy cheerful
[name]Arava[/name] (ar-ay-va)- hebrew word for willow
Millaray- native american Mapuche, golden flower
[name]Soraya[/name]- persian, princess
[name]Freya[/name]- Norse, noble woman
[name]Prairie[/name]- English word name
[name]Vrai[/name]- french, true

Wow - thanks for all the great suggestions. I don’t know if I’m brave enough to use some of these. But the ones that I will add to the list are [name]Renee[/name], [name]Rayna[/name]/[name]Raina[/name] and [name]Rae[/name] by itself. I also like the suggestions of [name]Raelyn[/name] and [name]Raven[/name] although I’m not sure either one is really my style.