Random Name Thoughts šŸ’­

i adore those out of season boomer names at the moment ! the too new to be vintage, ā€˜karen-esqueā€™ style, but unexpected enough that when i meet a young person with those names i fall in love with their midcentury charm :relaxed:

3 Likes

I looove me some ā€œdatedā€ 70s-90s names, so I relate. Iā€™m not that into 50s and 60s names for myself, but I appreciate seeing other people use themā€¦ mostly. Some of them just feel like they need to stay in the midcentury for now. I just canā€™t imagine a baby named [name_u]Gary[/name_u] or Rhonda??

i love these! two names that have been climbing their way into my heart lately are [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and *[name_u]Eden[/name_u] but i much prefer them for boys than for girls.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always been shocked at how rare Angelle actually is in the SSA data (see this link). I was under the impression it was a lot more common, at least at some point if not nowadays. Iā€™ve known 4-5 Angelles of various ages, and another 3-4 people with the middle name Angelle. Maybe itā€™s just locally more common, since I live in a somewhat Francophone area?

3 Likes

Iā€™m starting to realize that the term dated is being taken as negative here. I didnā€™t really think of that beforeā€¦and it kind of surprises me.

When I use the term, I donā€™t mean it as ā€œoh this name is terrible, donā€™t use it!ā€ I mean it more as ā€œthis name instantly makes me think of this certain time period.ā€ Iā€™ll always think that when I hear [name_f]Amber[/name_f] or [name_f]Heather[/name_f], for example, but I still think they are usable.

6 Likes

You just made me realize: The word ā€œdatedā€ does have a double meaning, not just when applied to names! There is ā€œit has agedā€ (the negative term) and then thereā€™s ā€œit has a timestampā€ (your meaning).

2 Likes

Sometimes I misread [name_f]Margo[/name_f] as [name_u]Mango[/name_u] :mango:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve done a full 180 on [name_m]Ransom[/name_m]. Used to think it was the most ridiculous word name out there, now Iā€™m happy every time I see it.

5 Likes

I just really appreciate how the name [name_f]Jane[/name_f] allows an honor to two imporant people in my life. One was named [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f] (was sometimes called Jane) and the other [name_f]Janet[/name_f]. It brings me a lot of peace right now.

4 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband pronounces [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f] & [name_f]Janet[/name_f] exactly the same :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh the woes of having a non name nerd partner ! :joy: I feel your pain.

2 Likes

Mine does too! ā€œWhatā€™s the difference?ā€ :melting_face:

2 Likes

Maybe Iā€™ve been spending too much time with names, but Iā€™ve been thinking that Market would make such a cute name :sweat_smile:
nn [name_u]Mars[/name_u] or [name_u]Kit[/name_u]? :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

maybe Meerkat would be more usable, haha

3 Likes

glances at my avatar donā€™t give me any ideasā€¦

9 Likes

I was a little surprised to discover that [name_f]Tess[/name_f] isnā€™t currently in the US top 1000. I feel like itā€™s a solid, recognizable, familiar name and I expected it to at least be in the top 1000!

1 Like

I like the opposite for girlsā€¦

[name_f]May[/name_f] [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] > [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_m]Peters[/name_m]
[name_f]Ludovica[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
For example.

1 Like

There was a character in a series I read in middle school named [name_f]Soraya[/name_f] and I always thought it was soooo beautiful. Like what a gorgeous name! The only problem is for years I pronounced it in my head as ā€œsor-RAY-uhā€ and when I learned it was actually ā€œsor-RYE-uhā€ I was likeā€¦ oh, thatā€™s still pretty tooā€¦ but not the name that I loved. So, I mourn the loss of ā€œsor-RAY-uhā€. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :joy:

4 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] dad and his new wife are having a baby and theyā€™re not announcing name until his birth. Iā€™m crying :sob:, so interested!

6 Likes

One of the girls I nanny is named Marg0t, and her babyhood nickname was ā€œMarg0t-Mango.ā€ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I canā€™t get over my love of Puritan-bliss names. Vision (my baby!!), Plenty, Modesty, Pious, Bliss, Hallelujah, Beloved, Increase, Genuine, Blessing, Comfort, Cross, Constance, Prudence, Temperance, Deliverance, Makepeace, Perceverance, Merrily, Prosper, Ponder, Faithful, Tuppence, Wellbeloved, Thankful ā€¦I just love them so much.

Could I use them? I mean, sure. Was I brought up religious? Nope. Would my family be bewildered by these picks? Yep. Does that matter? ā€¦mmmā€¦no?

Now Iā€™m thinking: how about rhyming twins Increase and Makepeace? Ira and Max? :person_cartwheeling:t2: Inky and May? :art: (Halfway) kidding hereā€¦

12 Likes