Random (Very Random) Names I Heard

See the results of this poll: Which (random) name do you like best?

Respondents: 30 (This poll is closed)

• Annika: 12 (40%)
  • Ariana: 4 (13%)
  • Tiffany: 2 (7%)
  • Estelle: 8 (27%)
  • Becket: 4 (13%)

I think that [name]Annika[/name] is my favourite of those - I love [name]Ann[/name]- names!

Today, I heard the requisite [name]Aiden[/name], as well as [name]Zara[/name], [name]Rose[/name] and … [name]Miley[/name]. What? Here? In [name]England[/name]? I was even more confused because she looked to be about six, and surely that would be before [name]Miley[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]'s fame …

Wow, 4 out of 5 I like! That’s hard for any list of names, random or organized.

([name]Beckett[/name]'s the bad one.)

I love [name]Annika[/name] and never hear it. I also like the name [name]Becket[/name].
I used to live in [name]Becket[/name], MA for a short time as a child.

Names I’ve heard recently -
[name]Marin[/name] - pronounced muh-rin it’s a county in [name]California[/name] close to where I live.
[name]Akira[/name] - on a little girl about 3 years old.

[name]Zara[/name] is awesome! And [name]Aiden[/name] is . . . well . . .

Hmm. I always heard [name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name] pronounced [name]MAYR[/name]-enne. It seems like a name that would be getting mispronounced all the time. [name]Akira[/name] is #705 on the SSA lists–who knew! It means bright or intelligent.

Hmm. I always heard [name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name] pronounced [name]MAYR[/name]-enne. It seems like a name that would be getting mispronounced all the time. [name]Akira[/name] is #705 on the SSA lists–who knew! It means bright or intelligent.[/quote]

As a name I’d pronounce both [name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name] as [name]MAYR[/name]-en as you would. The county here is pronounced muh-rin/mah-rin.
I’m just assuming the little girls name was spelled like [name]Marin[/name] County. Actually [name]Marin[/name] trips me up I want to say it like you stated but the fact the county is pronounced a different way makes me pause every time. I prefer the [name]Maren[/name] spelling for the [name]MAYR[/name]-en pronunciation.

I knew someone whose surname was [name]Marin[/name], pronounced like the county. I’ve never met anyone with the first name [name]Marin[/name], but I’d probably say it the same was, by default. I think it’s rather pretty pronounced that way, reminds me of the ocean.

[quote=“lyndsayjenness”]

I knew someone whose surname was [name]Marin[/name], pronounced like the county. I’ve never met anyone with the first name [name]Marin[/name], but I’d probably say it the same was, by default. I think it’s rather pretty pronounced that way, reminds me of the ocean.[/quote]

I like the county pronunciation too. My husband had a male friend in high school who pronounced his name like the county. I’m not sure how he spelled though. I think it [name]Marin[/name] pronounced like the county works nice for a boy. [name]Marie[/name] is a family name and I’ve thought of using [name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name] instead.

Voted for [name]Estelle[/name] although I love [name]Annika[/name] almost as much:)

I heard an interesting one today; [name]Cherry[/name]. I was blueberry picking at a farm and I could hear a woman calling down one of the rows ‘[name]Cherry[/name]!’, ‘[name]Cherry[/name], pick it up!’. I thought she was just very confused as to what kind of farm she was at because I couldn’t see anyone else with her but then another woman, who obviously thought the same thing joked ‘You mean blueberry?’ and the first one goes ‘No, my daughter. [name]Cherry[/name]’. And sure enough a little kid pops up answering to [name]Cherry[/name]! I milled it over until I was done picking and it had grown on me, I think it’s quite cute:)

Anyway that’s my story, just thought I’d share.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Charlie[/name], I’m super jealous that you went blueberry picking. That sounds so fun. Are you going to make pie or jam? Or just eat the berries? There was a character named [name]Cherry[/name] on Punky [name]Brewster[/name]… It’s not one I’d personally choose, but I can see it’s appeal. Cherries ARE an extremely cute fruit.

This is a little embarrassing to admit, but I like the name [name]Tiffany[/name]. A friend recently was talking about “my friend [name]Tiff[/name]” and I kept thinking how cool that sounded. I never liked it before, but [name]Tiff[/name] is pretty fun. I would wait about 60 years before I used this name, but I wouldn’t mind a granddaughter named [name]Tiffany[/name]. Haha.

Blueberry picking is always fun on your first few times but today I was just working:) I haven’t made blueberry jam before but I’m liking that idea! When I do pick some for home I usually just put them in fruit salad or bake blueberry muffins for family.

I never saw/read (not sure what which one) Punky [name]Brewster[/name], it must have been before my time and I don’t even like the fruit but [name]Cherry[/name] just has an up-beat, care-free air to it. I wouldn’t seriously consider using it though.

[name]Tiffany[/name] is such a pretty name! I’ve liked it for ages but ever since joining nameberry I’ve discovered it’s a no-go and for the women named it, they’re seemingly not big fans. I loved Breakfast at [name]Tiffany[/name]'s and I had a friend called [name]Tiffany[/name] in primary school who we called [name]Tiff[/name]. So your not alone:)

• [name]Charlie[/name]

Oh my, you’ve never heard of Punky [name]Brewster[/name]? That is a tragedy which makes me feel very old! It was only one of the best 80s shows ever! It was about the funniest little girl, Punky, who lived with her foster father. Turns out her best friends name was actually spelled [name]Cherie[/name] (and it’s her name in real life)

Here’s a video for the intro: PUNKY BREWSTER INTRO - YouTube

I can see how picking blueberries would not be fun as a job. Much better as a novelty. I’m sure your family is happy when you make them blueberry muffins, though. And the bonus is you get to eat blueberries when they’re at their best, which is not how most people get to eat them. But I’m a produce nerd, so that stuff excites me. [name]Jersey[/name] berries are the best, do you get to eat those?

[name]Ariana[/name] is my favorite out of them. I’ve always thought it was pretty. [name]Annika[/name] is my second fave. I actually knew a girl named [name]Annika[/name] when I was a freshman. She was in my English class.

I’m not a huge fan of [name]Becket[/name]. Although it reminds me of the singer, [name]William[/name] [name]Beckett[/name], who I love. :stuck_out_tongue:

[name]Ariana[/name] is my favorite out of them. I’ve always thought it was pretty. [name]Annika[/name] is my second fave. I actually knew a girl named [name]Annika[/name] when I was a freshman. She was in my English class.

I’m not a huge fan of [name]Becket[/name]. Although it reminds me of the singer, [name]William[/name] [name]Beckett[/name], who I love. :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s see, in the last week I’ve heard [name]Paisley[/name], [name]Brooklyn[/name] and [name]Jadyn[/name] (I’m just going to assume it is spelled as such), all little girls.

Wow! I looked up the Nameberry page on [name]Cherie[/name] and it says it’s French for darling. It peeked at #273 in 1967. I guess [name]Cherry[/name] could also be a nickname for [name]Charity[/name], but I don’t want to think about that, because I love [name]Charity[/name] but am not fond of [name]Cherry[/name].

Ooh, I adore [name]Estelle[/name]!

Names heard near my neighborhood:
[name]Magnus[/name] and [name]Cecilia[/name] (twins)
[name]Evie[/name] (x2)
[name]Lila[/name] (x3)
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Luca[/name] (x2)
[name]Dexter[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] (adorable twins, outside of [name]Magnolia[/name] Bakery)
[name]Edie[/name]