Rank these unusable/disliked names

Rank them in order of most usable to least. These are usually pretty disliked names for various reasons.
[name]Hortensia[/name]
[name]Narcissa[/name]
[name]Princess[/name]
[name]Katniss[/name]
[name]Renesmee[/name]
Saryniti
[name]Gertrude[/name]
[name]Bertha[/name]
[name]Psyche[/name]
Arachne
Goldenrod
[name]Peony[/name]
[name]Titania[/name]
Abcde
[name]Anemone[/name]
[name]Eartha[/name]
[name]Nevaeh[/name]
Taisy
[name]Adolfa[/name]/[name]Adolpha[/name]
[name]Urania[/name]
Irelynn
Merlot
McKynlee
Valkyrie
[name]Narnia[/name]
Hecate
Aetherie
Enodia
[name]Undine[/name]/[name]Ondine[/name]

For me it would be
[name]Undine[/name]/[name]Ondine[/name], Arachne, Enodia, [name]Eartha[/name], Hecate, [name]Narcissa[/name], [name]Hortensia[/name], [name]Anemone[/name], [name]Gertrude[/name], Taisy, Aetherie, [name]Peony[/name], Goldenrod, [name]Psyche[/name], [name]Katniss[/name], [name]Urania[/name], [name]Titania[/name], (this is when it really starts to get hazy) Valkyrie, [name]Narnia[/name], Merlot, [name]Bertha[/name], McKynlee, Irelynn, [name]Princess[/name], Abcde, [name]Adolpha[/name]/[name]Adolfa[/name], Saryniti, [name]Renesmee[/name], and [name]Nevaeh[/name]

…this hurts my eyes to even look.

The problem with most of these names is that:
a) they are usually used in combination with other names on this list, and
b) they look like the alphabet threw up on the birth certificate.

They’re just really awkward. The only one that I’d even consider is [name]Peony[/name], if I’m completely honest.

^Baaahaha, that made me LOL! :slight_smile:

Here’s what I could do:
[name]Undine[/name]/[name]Ondine[/name] (I actually really like [name]Ondine[/name]!)
[name]Anemone[/name]
[name]Titania[/name]
[name]Eartha[/name] (maybe…)
Valkyrie (possibly…)
…and that’s as far as I can bear to go. I wouldn’t even know how to begin to rank the rest of these unfortunate names!

I love the name [name]McKinley[/name]… not sure I would spell it McKynlee but it doesn’t take away my love for the name.

AUGH!

All I know is… [name]Renesmee[/name] comes last.

I actually really love [name]Hortensia[/name], Hecate & [name]Titania[/name], and I think [name]Peony[/name] & [name]Ondine[/name] are usable for sure. [name]Eartha[/name] & [name]Adolfa[/name] are ones where I don’t care for them, but I don’t think they’re that bad.

The others all get a big thumbs-down from me, though [name]Nevaeh[/name], Irelynn & McKynlee are all very usable (exemplified by SSA stats) , but I hate them.

[name]Gertrude[/name], & [name]Bertha[/name] are pretty unappealing, though I don’t really see the difference between these & [name]Agnes[/name] or [name]Agatha[/name] (and I like both of those)

I used to really like [name]Psyche[/name] in like, grade 7, but the others have no hope of getting me on their side.

My eyes!!!

[name]Hortensia[/name] - I do like this name
[name]Katniss[/name] - Spunky name, people would get over the initial suprise and get on with life. i really like it.
[name]Gertrude[/name]
Taisy
Irelynn
Merlot - nice
Aetherie - cute
Enodia
[name]Undine[/name]/[name]Ondine[/name] - like it

The ‘if you want to go there’ names.
[name]Nevaeh[/name]
[name]Adolfa[/name] - it does sound slightly pretty tho
[name]Renesmee[/name]
Goldenrod - Hahah i had to keep this one in for a laugh. but no i would hate to have this name, more so if i was a boy.

I actually made a big case in real life for [name]Eartha[/name] to my DH. Unusable? I’ll grant odd/unpopular/eccentric, but I don’t get the unusable aspect for that one.

Or I’m a crazy person, maybe.

Aetherie isn’t that bad either. It’s a kind of butterfly.

Actually like these:

[name]Titania[/name]
[name]Narcissa[/name]
[name]Peony[/name]
Taisy
Valkyrie

Unusable for me:
Arachne
Saryniti
[name]Narnia[/name]
McKynlee
Aetherie
Enodia
Merlot
[name]Psyche[/name]
Hecate
[name]Hortensia[/name]
[name]Gertrude[/name]
[name]Bertha[/name]
[name]Anemone[/name]
[name]Eartha[/name]
Irelynn
[name]Urania[/name]

Joke-worthy names:
[name]Nevaeh[/name]
[name]Princess[/name]
[name]Katniss[/name]
[name]Renesmee[/name]
Goldenrod
[name]Adolfa[/name]/[name]Adolpha[/name]
Abcde

The ones I like, first of all are [name]Katniss[/name] (Very pretty, in my opinion), [name]Gertrude[/name] (A family name I adore), [name]Titania[/name] (Beautiful and very exotic) [name]Peony[/name] (sweet flower name) and [name]Adolfa[/name]/[name]Adolpha[/name] (Which in no way whatsoever does that mean I agree with Hitler’s many beliefs, it simply means I like the feminine variation of a well-known [name]German[/name] name) and [name]Narnia[/name] (like this a lot, in a GP way)

The ones which I think are usable, but dislike:
[name]Hortensia[/name] - Not great on a little girl. Or anybody, for that matter.
[name]Narcissa[/name] - If you can get over the Narcissistic thing, it’s alright.
[name]Princess[/name] - I can see the appeal, obviously. But as a female who hates the idea of inflicting all things pink and princess-y on young girls (the girls-aren’t-just-for-looking-pretty idea) this makes me sick.
Saryniti - BELCH.
[name]Bertha[/name] - Cute, but ugly.
[name]Nevaeh[/name] - I’m not even going to bother…
Taisy - Trendy and awful.
McKynlee - ARRRGHH! Fricking hideous.
[name]Urania[/name] - Has a nice sound, but makes me think ‘Urine’ and ‘Your Anus’
Irelynn - throws up
Merlot - Weird and masculine looking.

And the ones I think are totally unusable (for varying reasons. They’re mostly too made up, ridiculous/stupid or too foreign for an English speaking child. But not all are ‘bad’ names)
Hecate
Aetherie
[name]Renesmee[/name]
Valkyrie
[name]Eartha[/name]
Abcde
[name]Anemone[/name]
[name]Psyche[/name]
Arachne
Goldenrod

Well I find these usable for me they are on my list
[name]Narcissa[/name]
[name]Katniss[/name]
[name]Renesmee[/name] - MN
[name]Gertrude[/name]
Arachne
[name]Peony[/name]
[name]Anemone[/name]
[name]Narnia[/name]

GP
[name]Psyche[/name]
[name]Eartha[/name]
[name]Urania[/name]

I don’t understand why some of these are on here, but to each his own I suppose… I never actually thought about [name]Psyche[/name] until now, I might keep it as a mn option… I’m asterisking the ones I don’t understand why they’re on here, not to say that the ones that are not should be here I just understand why someone could feel that way.

[name]Psyche[/name]*
[name]Katniss[/name]
[name]Nevaeh[/name]*
[name]Titania[/name]*
Arachne
[name]Anemone[/name]
Valkyrie*
Irelynn*
[name]Peony[/name]*
Saryniti
Taisy
[name]Gertrude[/name]*
Aetherie
[name]Narnia[/name]
McKynlee*
Goldenrod
[name]Narcissa[/name]
[name]Princess[/name]
Enodia
Merlot
Hecate
[name]Eartha[/name]
[name]Renesmee[/name]
[name]Undine[/name]/[name]Ondine[/name]*
[name]Urania[/name]
[name]Adolfa[/name]/[name]Adolpha[/name]*
[name]Bertha[/name]*
Abcde
[name]Hortensia[/name]

[name]Hortensia[/name]-awful awful awful
[name]Narcissa[/name]-narcistic
[name]Princess[/name]-not a name, term of endearment only!!! [name]Princess[/name] and [name]Precious[/name] are the worst names period.
[name]Katniss[/name]-scarily starting to grow on me as I keep seeing it on this site
[name]Renesmee[/name]-definitely one of the worst names I’ve ever come across
Saryniti-not even going to guess how it’s pronounced
[name]Gertrude[/name]-I find this one to be kind of sweet
[name]Bertha[/name]-Big [name]Bertha[/name]'s coming through, don’t mess with Big [name]Bertha[/name] now
[name]Psyche[/name]-another joke I hope
Arachne-arachnids, spiders, eek
Goldenrod-this has to be a joke, right?
[name]Peony[/name]-actually I love this one, it’s a sweet flower name
[name]Titania[/name]-Titanic’s sister ship?
Abcde-a b c d e, seriously!?
[name]Anemone[/name]-amoeba
[name]Eartha[/name]-bad though I wouldn’t go so far as awful
[name]Nevaeh[/name]-No, your screaming child is not heaven to me.
Taisy-very usable, I like it
[name]Adolfa[/name]/[name]Adolpha[/name]-not to my taste but not awful
[name]Urania[/name]-awful
Irelynn-time for confession, I have always loved [name]Scotland[/name] as a name for a girl so I can’t really bash Irelynn/[name]Ireland[/name]
Merlot-Wine anyone? Definitely a masculine feel to this, not feminine. Not awful by any means.
McKynlee-Not awful, just very trendy
Valkyrie-awful, not feminine
[name]Narnia[/name]-book, not a name, not feminine
Hecate-pronunciation?
Aetherie-pronunciation?
Enodia-pronunciation?
[name]Undine[/name]/[name]Ondine[/name]-awful

For some, like [name]Nevaeh[/name], [name]Princess[/name], and McKynlee ([name]McKinley[/name]), there’s no question of their useability since they make it onto the popularity charts…it’s more a question of taste. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t find these completely unusable:
[name]Gertrude[/name] - I had an awesome Great-Aunt [name]Gertrude[/name] who was such an admirable person. I like the nicknames [name]Gertie[/name] and [name]Trudy[/name]. [name]Even[/name] [name]Gertrude[/name] itself is not unattractive to me. If it weren’t important to me to give my children names that aren’t widely reviled, [name]Gertrude[/name] would be on my list for sure.
[name]Titania[/name]
[name]Eartha[/name]
Taisy - I can’t see the problem with this, although I don’t like it. It seems like it would fit in well with the current trend of two syllable names with mostly long vowels + euphonic ending, similar to names like [name]Brylie[/name], [name]Tayla[/name], and [name]Kinsey[/name].

I find the rest awful, either based upon their sound or their associations. I tried, but I can’t rank them. For me, it’s like trying to decide which ones are a better kind of terrible.

[name]Hortensia[/name]: no
[name]Narcissa[/name]: possibly
[name]Princess[/name]: dog yes, human no
[name]Katniss[/name]: maybe
[name]Renesmee[/name]: never
Saryniti: [name]Serenity[/name]-yes, Saryniti-no
[name]Gertrude[/name]: my grandmother would have a fit.
[name]Bertha[/name]: no
[name]Psyche[/name]: no
Arachne: no
Goldenrod: no
[name]Peony[/name]: maybe as a middle name
[name]Titania[/name]: possibly
Abcde: wth is this?
[name]Anemone[/name]: no. sounds like a chemical element
[name]Eartha[/name]: maybe
[name]Nevaeh[/name]: probably not
Taisy: no
[name]Adolfa[/name]/[name]Adolpha[/name]: no
[name]Urania[/name]: no
Irelynn: this is kind of cute
Merlot: no
McKynlee: maybe
Valkyrie: maybe
[name]Narnia[/name]: nada
Hecate: no
Aetherie: no
Enodia:no
[name]Undine[/name]/[name]Ondine[/name]: no

for the one’s i would even possibly use: Irelynn, McKynlee, [name]Katniss/name, [name]Narcissa[/name],Valkyrie([name]Val[/name]), Saryniti, [name]Titania[/name], [name]Eartha[/name]

I’m up for the challenge, and I’m bored, so here goes…

[name]Katniss[/name]: I think it’s the most usable of the group; I thought it was abrasive at first, but it also grew on me, and nn aren’t a problem.
[name]Titania[/name]: This name is a close second…actually maybe even tied with [name]Katniss[/name]. It’s very pretty and I’m not sure why it’s on this list, actually…
[name]Gertrude[/name]: NMS, but has the nns of [name]Trudy[/name] and [name]Gertie[/name] going for it
[name]Anemone[/name]: Not horrific, but a big mouthful of a name; nice nn potential: [name]Annie[/name], [name]Mona[/name], [name]Amy[/name], Nem.
Valkyrie: I kind of like how brave the name is, and [name]Val[/name] is a legit nn, as is [name]Kyrie[/name], so it could be usable

[name]Narcissa[/name]: meh…I don’t want to name my child after someone so conceited, but it isn’t the worst name on the list
[name]Peony[/name]: Not a bad name, just…can’t you hear the schoolyard taunts? Pee-on-me? But, peonies are my favorite flowers, so…
[name]Psyche[/name]: I love the [name]Cupid[/name]/[name]Psyche[/name] myth, BUT…too related to Psycho to really be usable, though I actually like the name
Arachne: Again, another myth I enjoyed, but too many people are hung up on spiders.
Hecate: I like how it sounds when pn correctly (which would NEVER happen), but the mythological association is too strong for me
[name]Narnia[/name]: Might be an okay middle for a fan…
Aetherie:It’s unusual, but I kind of like it. It could work on the right child.

Names that are just plain clunky/bulky/etc.
[name]Bertha[/name]: [name]Just[/name]…no.
[name]Adolfa[/name]/[name]Adolpha[/name]–Um, no–plus, the association is way too overwhelming.

Names that are just too much…something:
Taisy: [name]Tansy[/name]? [name]Daisy[/name]? [name]Maisy[/name]?
Irelynn: Why not [name]Ireland[/name]?
[name]Nevaeh[/name]: Eh…
McKynlee: I still don’t get the McBaby trend. Or the [name]Kinley[/name]/Tinley/[name]Tinsley[/name]/Kensley/etc. trend, either.
[name]Renesmee[/name]: Yeah…not sure how [name]Kristen[/name] [name]Stewart[/name] even delivered the lines suggesting this name with a straight face…
[name]Princess[/name]: Good for a puppy maybe?
[name]Eartha[/name]: Why not [name]Gaia[/name] or [name]Ceres[/name] or something along those lines?
Merlot: Yes. Name your baby after alcohol. Moet, [name]Chardonnay[/name], Zinfadel…why not?
Goldenrod: Sounds like a weed, but has a cute nn of [name]Goldie[/name]; the “rod” part is a little harsh and masculine
Saryniti: Okay, at first I thought this was a name from another country, and it finally dawned on me that it is [name]Serenity[/name], which is FINE. Saryniti is HORRIBLE.
Enodia: What is this name even?

Names that should not be used on kids, ever:
[name]Hortensia[/name]: Really? Hore-tense is still the root of this name. Your daughter would loathe you.
[name]Urania[/name]: Why would anyone ever do that to their child?!?

Not a Name, but an [name]Urban[/name] [name]Legend[/name]:
Abcde: lol

All of these are useable, not necessarily recommend but more socially acceptable:
Irelynn - [name]LOVE[/name] THIS! Such a GP for me!
[name]Peony[/name]
McKynlee
[name]Gertrude[/name]
[name]Titania[/name]
[name]Neveah[/name] - As much as I hate it, it is technically usable and socially acceptable
[name]Narnia[/name]
[name]Narcissa[/name]
Taisy
[name]Katniss[/name]
[name]Bertha[/name]

I would classify these as unacceptable!

Valkyrie - It has a pretty sound but too many negative associations
[name]Princess[/name]
Saryniti
[name]Hortensia[/name]
[name]Eartha[/name]
[name]Anemone[/name]
Arachne
Hecate
Merlot
Goldenrod - best left to crayon!!!
Aetherie
Abcde
[name]Ondine[/name]
Enodia
[name]Urania[/name]
[name]Renesmee[/name]
[name]Psyche[/name]
[name]Adolpha[/name]

I like Hecate, [name]Ondine[/name]/[name]Undine[/name] and [name]Titania[/name], even though I wouldn’t actually use any of them. I dislike all the others to varying degrees, though several, such as [name]Nevaeh[/name], are used often and so I suppose are “usable” (I ground my teeth typing that). I would classify [name]Hortensia[/name], Abcde (seriously?), [name]Renesmee[/name] and most of the Greek names (at least in the U.S.) as unusable.