Raquel

[name]Raquel[/name] has been one of my favorite names for several years, but I wasn’t sure how well it would work on someone who isn’t Hispanic (I’m not). What do you think? (I got to thinking about this because I ran onto a [name]Raquel[/name] awhile back who didn’t appear to be Hispanic.)

It has quite a satisfying sound, and I believe it would probably work fine on someone who wasn’t hispanic … however as a [name]Brit[/name] I am personally reminded of the way the cockney [name]Del[/name] Boy said his wife’s name in Only Fools and Horses (she was really [name]Rachel[/name]).

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Raquel[/name]! It’s beautiful and much more exciting and unique than its counterpart [name]Rachel[/name] (a little boring and common in my opinion). It is a Spanish name, but when you compare it to other names like, say, [name]Guadalupe[/name] or [name]Ines[/name], I don’t think it’s so distinctly “Hispanic” that a non-Hispanic person would wonder why you used the name. It’s a bit exotic, but familiar enough to be acceptable for most people, and fairly easy to pronounce (with or without a Spanish accent) and spell.

I wouldn’t let the fact that you aren’t Hispanic stop you. [name]Plenty[/name] of people give their children names that have nothing to do with their ethnic backgrounds (French, Irish, Hawaiian, Italian, Arabic, etc) simply because they like the way the names sound. Some of these names have been integrated into the mainstream over time, but many would take people by surprise, less recognizable, and much harder to pronounce for a native English speaker than [name]Raquel[/name]. It’s still simple enough that it doesn’t look like you’re trying too hard to be unique. It’s very believable that you just like the name.

It seems to me [name]Raquel[/name] is one of those names that is exotic and yet accessible if “you are not from there.” [name]Plenty[/name] of non-French/Irish/Italian/Scandinavian/[name]German[/name]/Russian people pull names from other lands that don’t sound really off-limits or strange for them to choose, not having the same background. So why not Spanish? PP is right, though, there are some names that do feel quite ethnic in a way they don’t seem right to choose unless you share the background, but [name]Raquel[/name] seems definitely within bounds, no matter what your ethnic heritage.

I prefer the softer [name]Rachael[/name] but [name]Raquel[/name] seems to be an international name :slight_smile:

Well then… maybe you ran into me! lol
I can personally help you out on this one. My name is [name]Raquel[/name] AND I am not hispanic. It is a beautiful name (though I hated it when I was growing up- lol). I get lots and lots of compliments on my name. Although the only problem I run into quite often is ppl either mispronouncing it or mispelling it. I get called [name]Rachel[/name] very often (where the heck is there a “ch” in my name???). I have to refer to [name]Raquel[/name] [name]Welch[/name] for ppl to get it (especially elderly ppl).
I don’t think there is anything wrong with having this name and not being hispanic.

We live in Australia so the Hispanic thing would never come up.

I think it is a lovely name, so feminine and exotic, like a beautiful flower. I can see sisters [name]Raquel[/name] and [name]Yolande[/name].

[name]Raquel[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Yolande[/name] [name]Sabine[/name]

[name]Raquel[/name] has been on my list for a while and I’m not hispanic. To me it’s more of a Hollywood name due to [name]Raquel[/name] [name]Welch[/name].
I used an Irish name for one of my sons and we’re not Irish. To me, if you like a name from a differnent culture, then use it because you like it. I live in the U.S. where it’s become one big melting pot, so it’s easy to do that here.

I don’t equate [name]Raquel[/name] with Hispanic. The first thing I think of is [name]Raquel[/name] [name]Welch[/name].

If you love the name go for it!