Rare Girl Names You Don't Know: What's Your Score?

Today’s blog post profiles 100+ you’ve never heard of:

But you Berries are likely familiar with at least a couple of these choices!

There are 134 names — how many have you heard of before? Vote for your score in the poll below:

• 0-20
  • 21-40
  • 41-60
  • 61-80
  • 81-100
  • 101-120
  • 121-134

0 voters

And share your favorites here!

I knew about 16 of them. I knew some other versions of some other names but didn’t count them because they’re not spelled the same.

2 Likes

I knew 15 of the names. I know people called [name_f]Bodil[/name_f] and [name_f]Inika[/name_f] in real life – the others I recognize from Nameberry.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Emmadine[/name_f], [name_f]Harumi[/name_f], [name_f]Ivalo[/name_f], [name_f]Loana[/name_f], [name_f]Questa[/name_f], and [name_f]Wrenna[/name_f]!

2 Likes

I knew 21 of the names. I went to school with a [name_f]Bilqis[/name_f]. But the rest I’ve only come across on here or briefly in real life.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_f]Lilium[/name_f] & [name_f]Loana[/name_f].

I’m also happy to see [name_f]Teleri[/name_f] there for some Welsh appreciation :blush:

2 Likes

I knew 12 of them, none irl.

1 Like

I knew 2. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I knew:
[name_f]Calais[/name_f] (from high school French)
[name_u]Deneb[/name_u] (the star!)
[name_f]Dymphna[/name_f] (minor character in Code Name Verity)
[name_f]Ngoc[/name_f], [name_f]Phuong[/name_f] (high school classmates)
[name_f]Quispe[/name_f] (Incan history book)

Several others sounded familiar or I could see the path from word/region to Nameberry name

1 Like

I recognised some as Welsh or Persian, Quitterie and Quests from “favourite Q names” lists, Deneb from the star, Calais the place, Dymphna… Altogether, 16, only a Nargis and a Gohar in real life.

2 Likes

48 :innocent:

I especially love [name_f]Berjouhi[/name_f], [name_f]Dalisay[/name_f], [name_u]Ellerby[/name_u], [name_f]Fialka[/name_f], [name_f]Ivalo[/name_f], [name_f]Juhi[/name_f], [name_f]Quitterie[/name_f], [name_f]Zabou[/name_f] and [name_f]Zarouhi[/name_f]!

1 Like

Wow! I am surprised that I only recognized 12 of these. It’s a fascinating list!

1 Like

[name_m]Just[/name_m] 18! I love learning new names - this is definitely my favourite thing as a name nerd! New-to-me favourites are [name_u]Romary[/name_u], [name_f]Waveney[/name_f], [name_f]Dalisay[/name_f] & [name_f]Xhelile[/name_f].

1 Like

I knew exactly 50 of the names! Quite proud of that score, although I honestly thought I’d have known more. This is a really impressive list! Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites from the list are probably [name_f]Adeluna[/name_f], [name_f]Ivalo[/name_f], [name_u]Romary[/name_u], [name_f]Teleri[/name_f], [name_f]Ravza[/name_f], [name_f]Fidda[/name_f], and [name_f]Onnolee[/name_f]!

2 Likes

i knew about 11 but [name_f]Flavie[/name_f] has been on my list for a long time and is a “normal” name to me so i was surprised to see it on there!

there are some really beautiful names on this list!!

1 Like

4… [name_m]Frankly[/name_m], I’m disappointed in myself

1 Like

i knew three :sweat_smile: adeluna, emmadine and wrenna

2 Likes

I knew 22!

[name_f]Accalia[/name_f], [name_f]Aynoor[/name_f], [name_f]Connemara[/name_f], [name_f]Dymphna[/name_f], [name_f]Fenet[/name_f], [name_f]Leyu[/name_f], [name_f]Lilium[/name_f], [name_f]Modwen[/name_f], [name_f]Quitterie[/name_f], [name_f]Ruta[/name_f], [name_f]Teleri[/name_f], and [name_f]Wrenna[/name_f] are my favourites from the list.

I don’t know anyone personally with these names in real life, but I’ve seen [name_f]Dymphna[/name_f] pop up once or twice as a middle name on a new baby from a couple of the Catholic instagram pages I follow.

1 Like

I knew [name_f]Calais[/name_f], [name_f]Cleotilde[/name_f], [name_f]Gigliola[/name_f], [name_f]Giusy[/name_f], [name_f]Harumi[/name_f], [name_f]Jannat[/name_f], [name_f]Lilium[/name_f], [name_f]Quitterie[/name_f], [name_u]Romary[/name_u], [name_f]Yinuo[/name_f], [name_f]Zabou[/name_f]. So eleven (11).

1 Like

I knew just barely over 20, but I’ve never met any! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Zemfira[/name_f], [name_f]Wrenna[/name_f], [name_f]Ivalo[/name_f], [name_f]Miara[/name_f], [name_u]Ejiro[/name_u], and [name_f]Connemara[/name_f].

1 Like

I knew 29, including personal favourites [name_f]Flavie[/name_f], [name_f]Aryani[/name_f], [name_f]Adeluna[/name_f], [name_f]Loana[/name_f], [name_f]Lilium[/name_f], [name_f]Palila[/name_f], [name_f]Tulia[/name_f], [name_f]Fialka[/name_f], [name_f]Evodie[/name_f], and [name_f]Xiana[/name_f]. I also discovered the delightful [name_f]Gigliola[/name_f], [name_f]Omolara[/name_f] and [name_f]Izela[/name_f], thanks so much! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I have irl experience with [name_f]Ifeoma[/name_f], [name_u]Jasiri[/name_u], [name_f]Nargis[/name_f], [name_f]Ngoc[/name_f], [name_f]Phuong[/name_f], and [name_f]Whetu[/name_f]. I was actually surprised that I HADN’T heard of a lot of these names, lol.

1 Like