Reaction to Soraya?

Now that we are officially expecting :slight_smile: DH is giving me name suggestions. Although he likes my pick of [name]Stella[/name], he said he really liked [name]Soraya[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I had loved the name [name]Soraya[/name] during my first pregnancy, but when I mentioned it to friends and family they all said it sounded like psoriasis (well besides DH’s family, they like it).

So what do you think? The negative reactions are ruining it for me because I don’t want her to go through life with a name that will receive negativity all of the time. I worked with a girl named [name]Soraya[/name] and she seemed to like her name just fine.

oh and if you don’t know, its pronounced sor-eye-uh.

it’s one of my picks also. Have you heard of the movie The Stoning of [name]Soraya[/name] M.? It’s compelling story i cried.

The first time I heard this name, I loved it. I kept trying to think of where I heard it before and couldn’t place it. Then I realized [name]Soraya[/name] is a character name on a Chilean telenovela called “Machos” that I was watching to practice my Spanish. Oh YouTube…

I never thought of psoriasis until it was mentioned. I think it’s a beautiful name!

ilovenames89- I have heard of that movie, but after reading the synopsis I thought it would be way to sad to watch.

rj- That’s really interesting that it was on a telenovela! I didn’t know it was used in hispanic communities.

Unfortunately it sounds too similar to psoriasis for me :frowning:

I like [name]Soraya[/name] a lot. It did make me think of the movie, but never of psoriasis.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

(I’m guessing this news is a bit recent? For some reason when you posted your girls’ list–[name]Greta[/name] and [name]Stella[/name] as the top contenders, right?–I thought you were still TTC… anyway, congratulations! :))

I like [name]Soraya[/name] a lot. Then again, I have a thing for -aia and -aya names–[name]Maya[/name], [name]Amaya[/name], [name]Kaia[/name], [name]Soraya[/name], etc. The psoriasis thing never even crossed my mind, but now that you mentioned it, I can’t get it out of my head! :frowning: [name]Greta[/name] and [name]Stella[/name] don’t have those issues, so maybe it’d be better to stick with one of those. I love all three with [name]Noah[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name], though!

Good luck!

I love the name as well. I had it on my list but my husband also instantly thought of psoriasis. Now it’s all I hear when I hear the name!

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Soraya[/name]! I met a little [name]Soraya[/name] once but she spelled it [name]Suraya[/name]. She was the sweetest little girl, so I picture a [name]Soraya[/name] to be sweet like her. The psoriasis thing seems ridiculous to me, I still don’t see it now that you mention it! I love the meaning too. I say go for it :slight_smile:

Very new thanks, only 5 weeks! DH vetoed [name]Greta[/name], and that’s when he suggested [name]Soraya[/name].

Thanks for all of the replies, maybe I should also get to work on my boys list… as a side note I’m really obsessed with the name [name]Sebastian[/name], but I obviously can’t use it since its [name]Noah[/name]'s mn.

I love [name]Soraya[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

I’m sorry but the “sore” at the beginning is a turnoff for me. Also since the psoriasis thing has been mentioned I do see the connection. With many names though you can find a similarity to a word. It’s just a matter of whether that associated word bothers you.

If I met a [name]Soraya[/name] I wouldn’t treat her any differently than anyone else, I just wouldn’t compliment her name. If you love it, use it knowing it’s just not to everyone’s taste. I recently met a young man named [name]Cagney[/name] and I told him how cool I thought it was, but when I came here to ask opinions people said it sounded like acne or too much like to old TV show [name]Cagney[/name] & [name]Lacey[/name]. To each his/her own. I still think it’s awesome but apparently others don’t.

If you’d like a name that lots of people will like you’re better off choosing from the Top 100 list. [name]Even[/name] then not everyone will ever like a name but if you choose a popular name you’re guaranteed that lots of people like it.