Reactions to Disappearance of Signatures

I’m disappointed about the loss, but I never used it much myself, so I feel more sorry for others. I am fortunate enough to have screenshot my signature before it vanished.

Maybe these new user cards will bring joy?

2 Likes

I think that they were really such a great way to share your favorite names and talk about everyone else’s favorites! Without them, Nameberry seems like less of a community- you can still have a list of names, but I loved sharing it and seeing what other people thought. There was actually a great thread that went up a few days before the switch (Get your signature evaluated!!) that I really liked, but that won’t be working for a while :frowning_face: Hopefully we get signatures back soon!

2 Likes

I wish we had signatures, but the user cards are fine as a substitute (you can fit more into them too), and I do like the way you can interact more with each other’s posts (liking, direct reply etc)

I’d love to be able to see someone’s name choices just by looking, but you kind of can - I’m just waiting for a ‘rate my user card’ thread to come back because I loved the signature ones!

If you click on my profile picture you’ll see the start of what is essentially my signature, copy and pasted into the ‘info’ area. I think it’s an ok alternative. I do wish we still had signatures, but I think that we can definitely make this new system work.

5 Likes

@Maerad, I’ll make that thread now!

2 Likes

@EJpuddlejumper I replied to you as the last thing I did before the site changed! Did you see it or shall I give you feedback again?

Ooh @Maerad :heart: your user card! I haven’t got round to putting a background on mine yet but yours looks ace!

@Maerad
Your user card background it fabulous! :heart_eyes: How did you make it?

@elanorelle Thank you! I used a free online ‘word cloud’ page and just put in all the names that are in my NB lists - you can make it so some of them are a bigger size than others/change the colours of the names to ones you want, or you can just let the website do it for you! I went for their colours but my sizes. I think if you just google it you’ll find the same one/a similar one!

3 Likes

What about opening a new WOW topic? I loved it too :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m quite sad about the disappearance of the signatures to be honest. I’m getting used to the layout, and like some of the new snazzy features (although the all white background isn’t my favourite), but with no signatures I feel like we’ve lost that touch of personalisation. The pp summed it up brilliantly mentioning that we’ve lost that point of reference when suggesting names for people.

I would often recognize people by their signatures rather than usernames, and would sometimes browse through a thread just looking at signatures for inspiration. If I found someone who had similar names to mine I’d keep an eye on their signatures and comments for new crushes - I don’t think I’d take the time to stop and click on each profile pic to do the same.

I’d be very pro finding a way of getting signatures back if there’s any possibility. I just wish I had saved mine before the update - I didn’t even think about it!

8 Likes

I think user cards works well for games and feedback, but just like a lot of people have said, you don’t immediately recognize people and you’re not able to see the signature as easily. I do love being able to like, tag, and reply directly to posts though.

1 Like

Having your signatures names in the bio section looks really good :+1::+1:

As somebody on and off Nameberry with intensive periods of activity and long lags in between those obsessive moments… and as somebody who recently changed usernames and had that indicated in my sig, I’m worried people will have no idea who I am, and that bothers me. Petty? Narcissistic? Real? No idea, but not having my sig leaves me feeling naked and anonymous.

2 Likes

Completely bummed about it, particularly because I don’t remember all the names that were in my signature and now can’t find them :frowning: I loved the signature feature and all the games/ideas other peoples signatures gave me. Annoyed we didn’t know they were disappearing with the change as I would have been certain to write them all down. @katinka is there anyway to see what we had prior to the switch?

3 Likes

I wish I could get my sigs back too just to write them down elswhere. I have used this site for a long time but I don’t think I will anymore. It’s a lot easier to post on Reddit (or just research names from behindthename, which have much fuller descriptions anyways). The forum really made this site unique and now that their like this… idk. I will probably delete my profile and be off. It was fun while it lasted!

4 Likes

@emekct Unfortunately, no :frowning_face: I’m sorry you’ve lost your signature. Did you see the announcement prior to the changeover?

Wait, how do you even make a user card? And why can’t I see anybody else’s? I haven’t been active on this site for like a month and now I am so confused…

@Theodora_Phoenix

If you click your icon in the top right corner of the screen, then click your username, then ‘summary’, then ‘preferences’ (with the settings icon), then ‘profile’, there should be a textbox underneath the ‘About me’ heading where you type whatever you want into your usercard (I use mine just to put in the combos that used to be in my signature).

As for seeing other people’s usercards - I find clicking on people’s icons on their post in threads like this gives me a preview, and I have to then click on their username again to go to their profile and see the entire thing.

Hopefully this is clear enough to help!

1 Like

Honetly, i am not really that upset about it. Yes, Names on Nameberry That Makes You Go Wow was my favorite thread ever, thanks to all amazing, wonderful and creative signatures that got me inspired and expand my taste in names. And i am a bit sad that six years of signatures is just gone, but you can still make them on your user card, even though it is not the same, i agree with that.

1 Like

we still have that thread!

1 Like