Reasons for blackmail? Names for members of an Evil Quartet?

My plot has a few holes in it…such as why the group that kidnaps two kids blackmailed the mayor. Any ideas?

Also names for the members of the group?
These are some of the other names in the book to give you idea of the style:
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f](g)
[name_u]Echo[/name_u](g)
[name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] ‘[name_u]Perry[/name_u]’(g)
[name_m]Fabian[/name_m](b)
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m](b)
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Callie[/name_f]’(g)
[name_m]Zedekiah[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Zed[/name_m]’(b)
[name_f]Abriana[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Rian[/name_u]’(g)
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u](b)
[name_u]River[/name_u](g)
[name_f]Quintessa[/name_f](g)
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f](g)
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f](g)

Here are their descriptions:

#1 : She is the leader of the group. [name_u]Bright[/name_u] sapphire blue eyes. She wears her light brown hair in two simple braids. She is very powerful and forceful. She has a quick temper and is harsh. She wears black pants and a black shirt with a hiking vest and shoes, also black. She wears a gray beanie.

#2: he is already named. [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], a science teacher at the school the main characters attend.

#3: An [name_f]Asian[/name_f] woman with dark eyes and wavy black hair. [name_m]Sly[/name_m] and deceptive, disloyal but always gets everything done, no matter the price.

#4: Brother of #3. He has dark eys and black hair as well. He is very quiet and helpful, very easy to be used by evil people. He has a good soul though. He ends up confessing and turning himself an his group in to the police.

Thanks so much! [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] seems perfect for character 4!! [name_f]Dixie[/name_f] is very fitting for #1.

Well I have been sort of procrastinating against writing. But I have had several ideas and have been editing/polishing it.

I love [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] for #4! Going to caution against using [name_f]Dixie[/name_f] given its ties to racism in the [name_u]South[/name_u] (although I have seen it used as a name before), unless that’s what you’re going for since I guess these are the bad guys. Other ideas…

#1-
[name_f]Lyla[/name_f]
[name_u]Colby[/name_u]/Colbie
[name_m]Greyson[/name_m] (maybe [name_u]Gracen[/name_u]? Idk, the gray beanie set me off)
[name_f]Cara[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivet[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Bria[/name_f]
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]

[name_u]Halle[/name_u]
[name_f]Kyra[/name_f]/Kyla
[name_f]Corinne[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_u]Ivory[/name_u]
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]
[name_f]Desta[/name_f]
[name_f]Farrah[/name_f]

#4 (Only suggested a couple since you said you liked [name_u]Dylan[/name_u])
[name_m]Nolan[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Collin[/name_m]

As for the mayor question, which part of the blackmail are you referring to? I feel like they could blackmail them because the group simply didn’t want to be caught and felt like the mayor had the power to keep them out of trouble, or at least lessen the consequences. If you mean what do they blackmail the mayor about, I’d have to know more details of the story, but I would guess it’s some secret the mayor doesn’t want to get out.

If you need any more help, I love talking plot with people so feel free to PM me! :blush:

1 Like

Wait…what racism ties?? Please let me know because I want in no way to be racist.

I know a really sweet little [name_f]Dixie[/name_f], and she is what I think of when I think of that name. It has always been really sweet and flowery in my mind.

Oh my @SparkleNinja18, I really love [name_f]Desta[/name_f], [name_f]Kyla[/name_f], and [name_f]Kyra[/name_f]!!

[name_f]Dixie[/name_f] is used as a nickname for confederate soldiers during the Civil War (as well as referring to the confederacy itself). I think it’s a less extreme example of the confederate flag: some people use it to show southern pride but, regardless of the genuine folks’ intent, enough people have used it to be racist and/or malicious that it has a racist message. I don’t think people who use [name_f]Dixie[/name_f] as a name are intending to be racist (certainly hope not) but there is a connection to racism through the name [name_f]Dixie[/name_f] that does exist. In the link that was posted by @12queen, the art at the top of the page features a drawing of 4 men in blackface…

2 Likes

Character 1 - [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] (or [name_f]Isolde[/name_f])

Character 3 - [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] (or [name_f]Araminta[/name_f])

Character 4 - [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] (or [name_m]Silas[/name_m])

1 Like

Blackmail: [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is affair or maybe some sort of money scandal?

1. Cassia, [name_f]Cyra[/name_f], [name_f]Circe[/name_f], [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Tonya[/name_f]
  2. Azure, [name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f] (I would be aware that characterizing [name_f]Asian[/name_f] people as sneaky is a negative media trope, not that you can’t but are there other [name_f]Asian[/name_f] characters that aren’t that way? Is she fleshed out in other areas?)
  3. I like [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] suggested above.
1 Like

@TeaJay, yes there are other wonderful [name_f]Asian[/name_f] characters in the book. This character is an antagonist though, just to clarify. And her brother (also [name_f]Asian[/name_f]) turns to the good side.

I in no way want to offend any people so if I am sorry!