Reed or James?

Which name do you like for our son? This is how we feel about the names:

[name_u]James[/name_u] is a nice, safe, strong family name. It’s very straightforward - there is one spelling and there won’t be any pronunciation issues. However, it may be a little too safe and ordinary? We do not want people to call him [name_m]Jim[/name_m] or [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] and I don’t want to be constantly telling people, “he goes by [name_u]James[/name_u].” Also, the plural isn’t as easy - I’d be saying “Jameses” when speaking.

[name_u]Reed[/name_u] is a strong and more unique name. This name excites us more. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s family has a lot of people with R names. We like how it’s 4 letters long and also has double letters in the middle just like our daughter’s name does ([name_f]Emma[/name_f]). However, I know we will have to spell the name quite a bit since there are two spellings. We think our family will like the name eventually, but it may take them awhile to warm up to it. Also, we feel like it doesn’t flow great with [name_f]Emma[/name_f]'s name - “[name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]Reed[/name_u].”

What do you think? Thanks for your help.

I love both those names!!! In fact, one of the names I like for a boy was going to be [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Reed[/name_u]. But, my husband isn’t crazy about it so we are going with something else. But anyway, based on your reasons for each name, I would go with [name_u]Reed[/name_u]. And I think that [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]Reed[/name_u] sound great together. Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!

I think [name_u]Reed[/name_u] is a great name, and goes really well with [name_f]Emma[/name_f]! [name_u]Reed[/name_u] is definitely my favourite :slight_smile:

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], but at the same time, there are so many “Jameses”. :slight_smile: I vote [name_u]Reed[/name_u], which is super handsome and sounds great with [name_f]Emma[/name_f].

[name_u]Reed[/name_u] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] not only look good together, they also sound great together! Since [name_u]James[/name_u] is a family name you could name him [name_u]Reed[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] and get the best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

Family does warm up to names most of the time so go with what excites you the most. I wouldn’t worry about spelling it out too much. It’s only four letters long. :slight_smile:

Correction - I meant that I would be saying “Jameses” in the possessive, not plural. Ex. “[name_u]James[/name_u]’ (Jameses) appointment went well today.” Sorry about that!

I love the western feel of [name_u]James[/name_u] so much that I am one of the few that like it on girls too. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is really common, so I don’t really see why the popularity of [name_u]James[/name_u] would be an issue in this case. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u] sound great together.

I love everthing about your [name_u]Reed[/name_u] choice! I defintely think you should choose [name_u]Reed[/name_u]!!

I love both names! I prefer [name_u]James[/name_u], though!

Thanks for your input everyone!

I would go with [name_u]Reed[/name_u] [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] myself. :slight_smile: [name_m]Just[/name_m] because [name_u]Reed[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] feels rather abrupt.

I think both names go great with [name_f]Emma[/name_f], but I definitely prefer [name_u]James[/name_u] on a personal level.

Hiya. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] both names. We like [name_u]James[/name_u] as a first name but here I knew 6 women at my work who all had a [name_u]James[/name_u]. We contemplated saving the name but used it as our son’s midle name. Ironically we like [name_u]Reid[/name_u] for a second son xx So I am not sure if that helps lol.
i think it depends if you want a traditional or unusual first name x

oh just read you have an [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_u]James[/name_u] are PERFECT together. x