Regan

Two weeks to go and we still don’t have a name for a baby girl! We’ve been all over the map the last few months. Yesterday my daughter and I met a little girl name [name]Regan[/name] at the library. I just love it and my husband – surprisingly – does, too.

1. I prefer the [name]Ray[/name]-gen pronunciation to [name]Reegan[/name] (though not opposed to the latter). My daughter’s name is [name]Rachel[/name]. Is it just too weird or cutesy to have a [name]Rachel[/name] and a [name]Ray[/name]-gen? Would it cause you to choose the [name]Reegan[/name] pronunciation? (If so, might lose husband’s vote.)

2. Would love any feedback on potential middle name ideas (and suggestions, of course):

[name]Regan[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Emily[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

Thanks!

I love the name [name]Regan[/name] [name]Jane[/name]! And when I see [name]Reagan[/name], I pronounce it the way you like ([name]Ray[/name]-gen), but I’d be confused with the [name]Regan[/name] spelling…So what I really like is [name]Reagan[/name] [name]Jane[/name]! And for me, the idea of Pres. [name]Reagan[/name] is a good thing…full of moral character.

I like [name]Reagan[/name] better, too. [name]Reagan[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is cute as long as you don’t have “n” in your last name.

With a little [name]Rachel[/name], I think [name]Regan[/name]/[name]Reagan[/name] and [name]Rachel[/name] is too matchy, especially if [name]Regan[/name] is pronounces [name]Ray[/name]-gen, like [name]Ray[/name]-chel.

[name]Hi[/name] I [name]Love[/name] [name]Regan[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] I think it sounds so pretty…I know a little girl named [name]Regan[/name] and she has a brother [name]Riley[/name]…I think [name]Rachel[/name] and [name]Regan[/name] are very cute names together…what is your daughters middle name? I don’t like [name]Regan[/name] [name]Jane[/name] at all, sorry!

[name]Regan[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] [name]Rosaleigh[/name]

[name]Regan[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is adorable. However I would suggest an alternate spelling so that it doesn’t get confused as [name]Ree[/name]-gan. [name]How[/name] about [name]Reagan[/name] [I know a little girl with this spelling and I find it beautiful], [name]Raegan[/name], Raygan, or something like that? Maybe not, but I think that [name]Regan[/name] and [name]Rachel[/name] make a cute sibset! Congrats!

Thanks, this has been really helpful. In response to the question, [name]Rachel[/name]'s middle name is [name]Claire[/name]. I will give some thought to the [name]Reagan[/name] spelling, but it calls to mind the former president, of course.
Great suggestions for middle names. H voting for [name]Regan[/name] [name]Marie[/name] (which is my middle name). I think I’m leaning toward [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Sophia[/name]. I do still like [name]Jane[/name], but maybe a middle name with more syllables will help to differentiate her from [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Claire[/name].

I love the name [name]Regan[/name]! My niece is [name]Reagan[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. What is funny is her second choice was [name]Rachel[/name].

I’m going to be the voice of dissent here. I think [name]Rachel[/name] is really nice, and [name]Regan[/name] is too close to it without being really nice. I guess it’s completely subjective but [name]Regan[/name] reminds me of The Exorcist and also the President (which to me is not a good thing). I also am not crazy about the -gan ending (I don’t like [name]Megan[/name] either, or [name]Teagan[/name]. Though I like [name]Morgan[/name]. Go figure).

If you end up having another daughter, you will have locked yourself into this [name]Ray[/name]- thing.

I’m with you on this one, [name]Pomme[/name]. I thought [name]Rachel[/name] and [name]Regan[/name] were too close, too.

Thanks for your candor. It’s possible that my infatuation with the name has ended. I haven’t given the name much thought for the last two days. And I think it’s mostly because of the [name]Ray[/name] thing. I just can’t get past it. Of course, that still leaves me without a name for a girl!

Other past condenders:
[name]Sofia[/name] [name]Paige[/name]
[name]Lila[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]

I love the name [name]Lila[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Sofia[/name] is cute too just too popular in my opinion, but both are lovely names.

I love the name [name]Regan[/name]/[name]Reagan[/name] and think it’s fine with [name]Rachel[/name]. However, are you really pronouncing it “[name]RAY[/name]”? To me, “[name]Regan[/name]” and “[name]Reagan[/name]” both rhyme with “egg” not long ‘a’ nor long ‘e’ … does that make sense? Because then it’s not [name]RAYchel[/name] and [name]RAYgen[/name], it’s [name]RAYchel[/name] and [name]REGan[/name]. Anyway … just thought I’d throw that in there. Not terribly fond of [name]Lila[/name] myself, doesn’t seem to go with [name]Rachel[/name]. Same with [name]Sofia[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are little more … prissy? than [name]Rachel[/name]. I would go for something more classic and traditional if you don’t go with [name]Regan[/name]/[name]Reagan[/name]. (Not that [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Sofia[/name] aren’t classic and traditional but they are … just different to me!)

[name]Regan[/name]'s a pretty name, but I think it’s too similar. Also, I’ve only ever seen [name]Regan[/name] as [name]Reegan[/name] and [name]Reagan[/name] as Raygan.

[name]Lila[/name] and [name]Sofia[/name] are both very pretty, and I think they go well with [name]Rachel[/name]. Are you considering any of the names you had in mind as middles for [name]Regan[/name] as firsts? I think [name]Audrey[/name] is nice and goes well with [name]Rachel[/name].

[name]Lila[/name] is nice, but personally I like [name]Regan[/name]. However, I want to pronounce it “[name]Ree[/name]-gyn”. If you want to guarantee that “[name]Ray[/name]” sound, I’d have to gasp suggest a somewhat Yooneek spelling. Ragen, Raigen, Raegyn, you get the unfortunate picture.

Excellent food for thought! My husband and I still have [name]Regan[/name] on the list, but because we do pronounce it [name]Ray[/name]-gen, I still think it might match too much with [name]Rachel[/name]. We have a one-syllable last name that people often mispronounce. We are concerned that both her first and last name will be mispronounced constantly if we name her [name]Regan[/name]. Dealing with the last name is probably enough!
[name]Lila[/name] was my suggestion, although I’m concerned about it’s trendiness. My husband definitely likes [name]Sofia[/name] ([name]Sofie[/name]).
To those who think neither [name]Lila[/name] nor [name]Sofia[/name] go well with [name]Rachel[/name], what do you think about [name]Elizabeth[/name] with the nn [name]Libby[/name]?

Continued thanks for all the advice!

I like the name [name]Regan[/name], I know a [name]Regan[/name] with the same spelling. Btw, my name is [name]Megan[/name] and my sister’s name is [name]Rachel[/name]! Haha! Unfortunately, name butcherers are everywhere and they can butcher things you think are foolproof. I’m a big believer in, if you really love the name, don’t worry so much what other people think of it. People will always have something to say about your baby name… the only opinions that really matter are yours and your husband’s.

[name]Sofia[/name] [name]Paige[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] are both awesome!

I was not a fan of [name]Regan[/name], which to me looks like “ree-gan” (so if it were “ray-gen” I would expect it to get mispronounced a LOT).

Whatever you decide, good luck and congrats!

I just wanted to say that my childs name is [name]Regan[/name] and [name]Noone[/name] has ever pronounced it [name]Reegan[/name].